the jean genie

Cool stuff you bought lately

People all over the world are already feeling the crunch of the impending global financial crisis.  My own brother, an accounting wiz, just told me his own savings just took a significant hit the last few days.

Has that stopped my minimum wage making ass from needlessly pissing away money on completely useless shit I don't need???

HELLLLL NOOOO!!

Look what just arrived.....it's fucking glorious......the DC Direct full color Mike Mignola Batman with the yellow oval, which is exclusive to Japan and a limited edition of only 500.

6HDcKvB.jpg

u5McmpX.jpg

brjxKdp.jpg

7 minutes ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Mike Mignola's art, like a fine wine, is an acquired taste.  It's not for everyone.

Who is responsible for the Hulk pose Batman to his left?

As the world continues to crumble, and the United States burns to the ground, I've continued to do what I like best:  waste my money on dumb shit I don't need.

I was perusing amazon japan, as I spend hours a day doing, and I came across a bluray of Clockwork Orange in a special "LP Jacket."  That intrigued me.  In a time when most people are ditching all forms of physical media and relying solely on streaming (big mistake in my opinion) I still like to buy the occasional physical disc.

And what could be more impractical to store a disc than a 12 inch by 12 inch case, designed for old LPs and laserdiscs?   I don't know.  I thought it looked cool as hell and it was only $10 so I got it.

It's really cool....the disc is mounted on a round black cardboard disc that mimics an LP.  I checked the disc for censorship cause Japan has a bad habit of that, but there's all the tits and bush and weenie and ultra violence I was hoping for.  I'm satisfied.

Until I realized that they also released 2001.   So I had to have that one too.  But that one was $20.   And I already had the action figure from Clockwork Orange, but I don't have the 2001 figure, so I had to order that too.   That....was expensive.

But they arrived today and I couldn't be happier.  I love the big colorful retro cases and the fact that there's blurays inside!  And of course I'm a fucking dork so I love the figures too.

I've said before, and I'll say it again and again.....I.  Fucking.  NEEED. To.  Get.  LAIIIID.

DncCQm1.jpg

We've been ragging on the gyners for their gushing over the Greatest Hits on vinyl.    Now I don't want that gaping anus looking monstrosity in my collection.......but I have to confess.   In many ways I'm just as bad for my vinyl fetishism.   I don't listen to them...every record ever sounds like shit with more snap crackle and pop than breakfast cereal.

But I'm a child of the 80s and a big, bright LP with colorful artwork is always gonna hit my nostalgia buttons.

Here's my latest pick up....I'm a bit embarrassed.

It's called "Minmay Sings For You" and it was a collection of the best songs from the original Robotech anime series, Macross, the Japanese version, featuring all Japanese songs.

I love it.   I bought it for the cover which fills me with this bittersweet nostalgia for a bygone era...the glorious golden age of anime, the 1980s.

There's something sad and beautiful about the cover art....about being nostalgic for a time and place that never existed, from an exotic foreign land you wish you could have experienced 35 years ago.

Yeah, it's useless....a 12 inch coaster....but I love looking at the art and just being sucked into and transported to another time.   It's from 1986....a year before AFD was released.   It was certainly never released in America.    I saw it on an auction site and snagged it for what I think is a decent price, despite it missing the color insert and having some wear and tear.

In my opinion, better to spend money on this crap than yet another rehash of old stale GNR material.

eGz0gH2.jpg

(Yes, that's a toy of the Spinner flying car from Blade Runner.  I have soooo much "junk" but they're treasures to me.)

It's s good time to be a collector. Loads of cool stuff being dumped on eBay by people that need the cash over Covid. 

Found a copy of a rare Hunter S. Thompson book going for peanuts. Only 26 copies in existence. 1 of them is mine now. 

The phenomenon of collecting is interesting. I’ve replaced it in my life with downloading. I will buy the odd movie but that is about it. If I could stream my whole movie collection on one site I would happily get rid of all my blu rays. 

Whatever it is you decide to collect, if it is worth money, spend as much time learning to store and protect it properly. 

Art/books/comics/manuscripts....don't fuck it up by not knowing how to protect it. 

6 hours ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

That's nuts dude...congrats on the steal!

I made a deal last night to acquire unpublished material that was supposed to be released as a limited edition book but for some reason got scrapped. They made 8 proof copies before the project got dumped. One of the copies is now mine, along with another limited edition HST book signed by Thompson and Steadman. His last book, which normally goes for about 3 grand. I'm getting it for a fraction of that. 

I get sardines online now. Cheaper. Only ones from Canada though. I don't know what's in the water in Poland and Thailand. I've gotten used to them since the lock down.

I'm going to get more phlox so the rabbit will come back. Someone stole my favorite geranium. You know your neighborhood is bad when they steal flowers.