Sign in to follow this  
Conor

The Lost Album

We know all about the rumours of the "lost" album, that many say to be the first Snakepit album. However, here's an interesting idea... you're given all material released by Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven, Matt and Gilby since (this includes Velvet Revolver and Snakepit), and you're allowed maximum of a two-disc double album to create. What do you pick? And what do you call the album?

For example, the first three tracks could be:-

By The Sword (Slash - Self Titled)

There Was A Time (Axl - Chinese Democracy)

Pawn Shop Guitars (Gilby - Pawn Shop Guitars)

I hope everyone gets the idea :) Maximum of 30 tracks, and by my reckoning there's over 230 songs to choose from. Go :)

Edited by Conor

Garden City.... some demos do exist, a HTGTH mod confirmed that. According to Street_Of_Dream, from MYGNR, the HTGTH mod said that he has heard about it but due to privacy issues cannot really discuss it. hes never heard the recordings but has been told they do exist, and they feature both Slash and Paul Tobias jamming and playing a cover song (He wouldn't tell me what the song was). He said the recording is very rare and also low quality, but from what he has been told it sounded promising.

This is from Wikipedia:

In late 1994, Tobias replaced Gilby Clarke and played rhythm and lead guitar on the band's cover version of Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil". While Tobias contributed to the song on Rose's request, his inclusion is known to have caused friction between Rose and the band's then-lead guitarist Slash, because of an overdub made by Tobias of Slash's solo on the song.

Tobias is known to have worked and recorded with Guns N' Roses in 1996, when the band started working on their sixth studio album. His role in the band was not clarified publicly at the time. According to Rose, this was due to the uncertainty on whether Tobias would eventually be featured on the record and subsequent tours as a rhythm guitarist. While former band members Slash and drummer Matt Sorum have publicly stated that Tobias' involvement strengthened their respective decisions to resign from Guns N' Roses, Rose has stood by his associate.

Do you think this stuff has been in circulation with hoarders? Would be something like the 2002 VMA rehearsal.... I don't think they're in circulation, I think they're like some GNR pro-shots... do exist, but nobody actually has, despite some trollers claims.

The lost album has no vocals. But I would have loved to hear Axls vocals and lyrics on Beggars & Hangers-On

So what? I don't care, I'm sure it's an awesome material.

They probably are not even actual songs.

Probably some jams that later would turn into songs by any of them.

When I downloaded the AC/DC Discography, it came with a folder called RARE, and there was a Angus Young Solo, from 197something.... During the solo, in some parts, Angus was clearly playing a early version of the Back in Black riff.... We would probably hear something that would remember us of Falling to Pieces, that stuff...

There is no Lost Album. Just like Chinese Democracy had hours and hours and hours worth of jamming and riffs, that's all the original GNR ever got accomplished in their post "Spaghetti" sessions. Just some jamming. Some riffs here or there. And of course the songs that eventually became Snakepit.

One song I find interesting is "Fall To Pieces." In his book, Slash claims VR wrote it much later, like around the time Josh Todd was in the band. Yet, somewhere Axl claims to have heard the earliest versions of it and expressed interest back in 94-95 or so, and was supposedly denied by Slash.

The classic he said/he said of GNR I guess...we'll never know. But Fall to Pieces is probably my favorite VR song....I'd love to hear what Axl would have come up with for that one.

Whatever was recorded, whether you wanna call it Garden City or what, has no vocals. To me personally, that's not very interesting. I mean, even "Just Another Sunday" had vocals and stuff. Slash and the guys jamming in a room doesn't make a lost album for me, unless Axl actually laid something down.

I doubt there is anything but a bunch of jams...incomplete songs with no vocals...Slash and others have stated in interviews that Axl rarely showed to rehearsals in those days so al they did was jam...Even ZaKK Wylde has commented that Axl never showd up when he jammed with Slash..........I doubt there are any finished songs from that period

On the subject of Zakk, he said one problem was Axl being sued left, right and center. Even when he turned up he was on the phone almost all the time talking to lawyers. It's incredibly hard to to be creative, or get into a state of mind where you can engage with the music when you are under huge amounts of legal pressure the whole time. Axl has said many times how he needs to have his mind in the right place before he can really put all he has into being creative. The fact that people claim things didn't get done is no great surprise if you look at it like that.

Didn't Axl alude to there being vocal tracks in the chats/interviews. He said something like "I have the tapes."

Edited by Plonker