John Bonham

What Are You Listening II

8 hours ago, sixes said:

Always been a guilty pleasure of mine.

I bought their Roadrunner albums boxed set for a pittance  a while ago, blast from the past as I don't think I've listened to them since high school.

The first couple of albums are awesome.

Amazing and embarrassing, sometimes in the same song.

2 hours ago, Doctor Dom said:

Amazing and embarrassing, sometimes in the same song.

Perfect summation, especially of their first album and The Origin of the Feces  before they went the goth route, although Bloody Kisses still has some of that feel.

I meant to tag you in the post. I didnt know if you liked them but thought it would be in your wheelhouse

29 minutes ago, sixes said:

Perfect summation, especially of their first album and The Origin of the Feces  before they went the goth route, although Bloody Kisses still has some of that feel.

I meant to tag you in the post. I didnt know if you liked them but thought it would be in your wheelhouse

They were a band I usually only listened to on my walkman because the fx, breathing and sex noises embarrassed me...and still do.

They had a really unique sound, always respected them for that and Peter always said funny shit in interviews.

The cover of Status Quo Pictures of Matchstick Men they did with Ozzy is wonderful.

I don't mind the gothy business on Bloody Kisses too much but the sex noises and Pete's ahhs and breathing gay it out in places like Christian Woman which is otherwise a fantastic song.

October Rust has some brilliance, but again it goes from wow to cringe in the one song and I could never dig it totally.

I remember buying the one after that and fucking hating it.

1 hour ago, Doctor Dom said:

They were a band I usually only listened to on my walkman because the fx, breathing and sex noises embarrassed me...and still do.

They had a really unique sound, always respected them for that and Peter always said funny shit in interviews.

The cover of Status Quo Pictures of Matchstick Men they did with Ozzy is wonderful.

I don't mind the gothy business on Bloody Kisses too much but the sex noises and Pete's ahhs and breathing gay it out in places like Christian Woman which is otherwise a fantastic song.

October Rust has some brilliance, but again it goes from wow to cringe in the one song and I could never dig it totally.

I remember buying the one after that and fucking hating it.

Haha, yeah, he does gay it up quite a bit. 

And for some reason, he added all that extra shit to songs that were really good unto themselves. And somehow, they actually had some commercial success.

October Rust is their last good effort but it is uneven. Still quality though.

Ever heard Steele's pre-TON band Carnivore? I think you'd like them

4 hours ago, sixes said:

Haha, yeah, he does gay it up quite a bit. 

And for some reason, he added all that extra shit to songs that were really good unto themselves. And somehow, they actually had some commercial success.

October Rust is their last good effort but it is uneven. Still quality though.

Ever heard Steele's pre-TON band Carnivore? I think you'd like them

Yeah those songs didn't need all that rubbish at all.

Yes October Rust still has some great moments.

Love You To Death, My Girlfriends Girlfriend, Hey Bacchus and Wolf Moon are all like 70% amazing and 30% shit (to me)

I only discovered Carnivore when they reunited...I did have their first album but lost it.

Slow deep and hard/origin is definitely my favorite period of TON though...1 2 3 4 I DON'T WANNA LIVE NO MORE!!!

Just now, sixes said:

This gives me high hopes for the new album

Reminds me of something that would have been on "The Eye." His voice is worlds better than it was on "Give Me Your Soul Please", it sounded so weak on that album.

19 minutes ago, bran said:

Reminds me of something that would have been on "The Eye." His voice is worlds better than it was on "Give Me Your Soul Please", it sounded so weak on that album.

Yeah, I agree with that. It would fit on The Eye perfectly.

Give Me Your Soul is a weak album unto itself but his vocals bring it down more.

His voice is in prime shape now since he's fully recovered from that heart surgery a few years back. Very much looking forward to the new album now. Was starting to think there wasnt a new album. He's been talking about it for years now but then re-releases would come out or a best of or a live album.

Great to see that it's actually coming