Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mr. Miser

What did you expect GN'R's "next album" to sound like/your dream GN'R album

Guest Mr. Miser

For those who were around in 1991-1996, before Slash left, what did you hear in your heads when you thought about what GN'R's next album might sound like? Like...what sort of sound I guess?

For me, when I think of what direction GN'R should've went in, it's somewhere between the sound of the Illusions and the sound of Infectious Grooves, with some NiN thrown in. Maybe a real double album. Think about Slash's bluesy style introduced into an Infectious Grooves type sound. I often listen to the Sonic soundtracks and wish GN'R's next album sounded like those songs.

Edited by Mr. Miser

Guest Mr. Miser

Matt described the material they were working in 1995-1996 as being not as sophisticated as the UYI, but not as raw as AFD, and that it had a ''groove.'' Slash said the material was very "angry" sounding, and Axl has described the '94-'96 material as the bluesiest thing since Aerosmith Rocks.

I wish that there was a way to get a time machine, and we could go into this time machine, set the time machine for "back in the day", then the time machine would sent to "back in the day" and we could tell Axl and slash that they need to get along, cause in the future (and we know because we have a time machine) that they won't get along.

We could then take both of them in the time machine to the future and show them that they dont speak, and then we will go back into the time machine for back in the day and then They will get along better...

Annoying enough to read? So are some of these new topics!

My dream album from Axl would be a solo piano album playing Elton John-like songs.......like Dust in the Wind, Everything, It's Alright, The One, Fallen Angel, and so on. Just Axl and a piano and that 1970s AM radio ballad vibe.

Matt described the material they were working in 1995-1996 as being not as sophisticated as the UYI, but not as raw as AFD, and that it had a ''groove.'' Slash said the material was very "angry" sounding, and Axl has described the '94-'96 material as the bluesiest thing since Aerosmith Rocks.

^^this...I expected an AFD type album with maybe a little more polish...I like the UYI albums but have to say I found them to be a little bit of a let down at the time..........thought there were some weak songs and that they could have put out a likller single album form the best material of each........also thought there was too much overdubbing and would kill to hear the raw mixes before Axl overdubbed them........

Guest Mr. Miser

^^this...I expected an AFD type album with maybe a little more polish...I like the UYI albums but have to say I found them to be a little bit of a let down at the time..........thought there were some weak songs and that they could have put out a likller single album form the best material of each........also thought there was too much overdubbing and would kill to hear the raw mixes before Axl overdubbed them........

What do you mean by overdubs? Can you specific examples of songs that you felt were harmed by Axl doing overubs on them?

Also...Back in 1990 or so, Guns considered several options for what would later become the UYIs:

These were among the ideas on the table:

-Release a boxset's worth of songs; In essence, the UYIs & outtakes & what would become TSI--A total of 40 or more songs.

-4 EPs in different genres; One acoustic, one electric, one country, one rap.

-Release the UYIs one double album

I think in maybe 1996 or 1997, GN'R should've released a boxset, or maybe a triple album. Just throw every kind of thing out there--Some traditional Guns songs (Slash's direction), some electronica/industrial type songs, grunge songs and ballads (Axl's direction), and whatever Duff wanted to do, as well as some of the UYI outtake songs. Just release a big boxset or triple album, to satisfy everyone in the band's creative urges. Slash said Guns had 80 new songs between he, Axl, and Duff in August 1996---If he was being truthful, that's enough for a box set right there. It might not have sold as well as the UYIs given it would've been expensive but could've saved the band, and if it didn't, it would've been a fine farewell.

On 5/4/2011 at 6:28 AM, daphatves said:

I wish that there was a way to get a time machine, and we could go into this time machine, set the time machine for "back in the day", then the time machine would sent to "back in the day" and we could tell Axl and slash that they need to get along, cause in the future (and we know because we have a time machine) that they won't get along.

We could then take both of them in the time machine to the future and show them that they dont speak, and then we will go back into the time machine for back in the day and then They will get along better...

Annoying enough to read? So are some of these new topics!

With all the time we spent here talking about "What if Axl had a Time Machine?," I don't think a single one of us guessed that he would go back in time to remove all the bad words and sexist language from his classic albums :huh:

Just now, John Bonham said:

With all the time we spent here talking about "What if Axl had a Time Machine?," I don't think a single one of us guessed that he would go back in time to remove all the bad words and sexist language from his classic albums :huh:

Back Off Drumpf

During the Illusion era I thought they were going to do a looser more rock n roll album but with Axl throwing in some bigger more experimental things. Sort of like Snakepit meets Ju ju Hounds but with an Axl song like TIL or Catcher maybe a rap rock song with NWA. I expected a Stones mid era of just a string of Draw the Lines. Some Izzy Reggae songs. Duff punk songs. A power ballad and rap rock experiment. Exile on Reggae Pop Rock Street. Basically chop up all Slash and Izzy’s solo records into GNR records with Axl singing and then take a couple CD songs per 10 track album. They could’ve done that. But we got the more pure stuff not the mixing bowl which is GNR. Axl just used different ingredients. Slash used his seasonings and Izzy made some primo guacamole. 

I’m hoping for a bluesy hard rock album. 

No Layers

No sounds effects 

No clean voice 

I want Rasp , long guitar solos and loud drums in a Adler style.

10 hours ago, Bill Brasky said:

I’m hoping for a bluesy hard rock album. 

No Layers

No sounds effects 

No clean voice 

I want Rasp , long guitar solos and loud drums in a Adler style.

So you want appetite for destruction