Jump to content

Grohl was the best drummer of the 90s, according to Axl


Recommended Posts

4B452324-4192-4FBD-BF98-7663C4F48175.jpeg.03c50e35ac23c5514287b6f8a704dccd.jpeg

 

When the interviewer said Taylor's position has "gotta be intimidating," adding that the drummer must "have nightmares" of Grohl being "critical," Hawkins replied (transcribed by UG):

"I think because Dave was the drummer, and the drummer is, like, you say, 'Ah, who cares about the drummer?' That's the hot seat, and if the gig goes bad, it's the drummer's fault."

After Grohl chimed in with, "The band is as good as the drummer," Hawkins continued:

"Yeah, and as bad as the drummer. Dave is never a dick about it, really, but it is intimidating, there's no question. When I joined the band, I was super intimidated.

"When I met Axl Rose for the first time, he was like, 'What's it like being a drummer for the greatest drummer of the '90s?' And I was like, 'Ah, hard.'"

Full shit:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/foo_fighters_drummer_recalls_what_gnrs_axl_rose_had_to_tell_him_about_grohl_dave_talks_how_paul_mccartney_behaved_when_they_met.html

 

 

Extras:

 

 

 

 

 

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ug_news/top_12_bands_who_sound_totally_same_on_every_album.html
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Heavy hitter for sure. I like his work as a drummer, and I realy liked the “NO FILLS” approach with Nirvana.

 

His best work as a drummer has got to be with Them Crooked Vultures, with enough drive and just enough complexity to serve the songs without soundinh like a douche trying to show off.

 

Still, it seems Hawkins and Grohl get along great. Last time I saw the FF it was pretty much the Grohl & Hawkins show... fucking lame.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that the original Nirveiner drummer was considered better than Grohl.


Well, he did write the drum parts on Nevermind; Grohl just copied them "in his style"; you can listen to the demos with Channing; it's the same drum parts basically.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that the original Nirveiner drummer was considered better than Grohl.

 


Nevermind sessions with Chad Channing on drums, 1990. He's the drummer on Bleach; He's also on a few songs on Incesticide. He's also on Polly on the finished Nevermind. The only Nirvana album Grohl plays on in full is In Utero.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wilco said:

Also, most of In Utero was written in 1990. Kurt only wrote a handful of songs post 1991. He was suffering from severe writer's block toward the end.

 

Did not know that. I like quite like a few Nirvana songs, same with Soundgarden, couple of Pearl Jam songs, I've never really ventured in PJ back catalog. I've always admired AIC most out of the grunge era, I think they managed to capture the sound just right with blending hard rock & metal into it, underated team was Cantrell & Staley.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In Utero songs written in 1990-1991

Dumb - Written summer 1990; First performed live September 1990; recorded September 1991

Radio Friendly Unit Shifter - Written 1990, first performed live November 1990

Pennyroyal Tea - Written 1990, first performed live April 1991

All Apologies - Written in 1990, first recorded January 1991; performed live November 1991

Rape Me - written May 1991

Very Ape - Written late 1991, recorded April 1992

Tourette's - Written 1991, recorded  September 1991

 

In Utero songs written in 1992:

Serve the Servants 
Heart Shaped Box
Scentless Apprentice
Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle
 

Post In Utero songs written 1992-1993

Poison's Gone (possibly older)

You Know You're Right - Written in 1993, recorded January 1994

Do Re Mi (last recorded song, March 1994, written in 1993)
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

 

Did not know that. I like quite like a few Nirvana songs, same with Soundgarden, couple of Pearl Jam songs, I've never really ventured in PJ back catalog. I've always admired AIC most out of the grunge era, I think they managed to capture the sound just right with blending hard rock & metal into it, underated team was Cantrell & Staley.


Part of the reason for his suicide, if you do believe he committed suicide, was the writer's block actually. Hence "better to burn out than fade away" in the note; he wasn't finding an ability to write, which was not helped by the heroin addiction. After 1991 (which is when his heroin use turned into a full blown addiction) he found it harder and harder to write.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

 

Did not know that. I like quite like a few Nirvana songs, same with Soundgarden, couple of Pearl Jam songs, I've never really ventured in PJ back catalog. I've always admired AIC most out of the grunge era, I think they managed to capture the sound just right with blending hard rock & metal into it, underated team was Cantrell & Staley.


An interesting thing is Kurt sent the band a note in March 1994 with the intention of reforming Nirvana with all new members.
utffN68.jpg

Transcript: Kris(t) A long time ago it all mattered and now it doesn’t. You did a lot for me, sometimes, and mostly you’ve done less than nothing.

 

As for now, NIRVANA is an embarrassment, my soul cant take it. My body can’t. I am going to start another band - actually I’m going to keep NIRVANA and have others in it.

 

I tried to tell you this twice now but you’re too drunk, fucked up, judgemental and in denial to even hear. So I’ll be blunt. It’s over. You’ll always be rich and you deserve it for the time you spent. But that’s as far as it goes. For years I had to shut up and listen to your opinions about my songs, my ideas, my band. I wasn’t put here to please you or Buzz or fuckin Calvin Johnson.

 

I’ve learned to hate the idea of this band with you and Dave.

 

Obviously you guys will call lawyers, with his greed but it’s over.

 

I have told our lawyers and managers.

 

It’s my band and as hard as this is to do. I have to do it.

 

You won’t miss my smelly crust or old man urine. I am officially stating on record, for the last time: you’re fired, Daves fired and I’m firing myself from this nightmare and starting over with others.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I never thought he was that good.

 

In fact, I remember we'd make fun of him in high school cause all he did was pound the drums really hard.  No technique or skill.  I don't know shit about drums either, this was coming from the band nerds that idolized RUSH and Primus and stuff.  They thought this guy was basically a monkey bashing rocks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

I never thought he was that good.

 

In fact, I remember we'd make fun of him in high school cause all he did was pound the drums really hard.  No technique or skill.  I don't know shit about drums either, this was coming from the band nerds that idolized RUSH and Primus and stuff.  They thought this guy was basically a monkey bashing rocks.


You have to consider that the album he's most well known for, Nevermind, was another guy's parts he was just playing, like Frank on CD. Dave Grohl was a fucking nobody before Nirvana and he was just Nirvana's ponytail wearing drummer. Even within Nirvana he was kinda viewed as a hired Gun; Kurt and Krist were actuallyl friends; Dave was a guy they hired last minute. The Foo Fighters were a smart move, nice tame safe rock, capitalizing right on the post grunge wave and Kurt's death. To me Dave Grohl has always been highly fucking overrated as a drummer and a musician. I think he's more known for BEING Dave Grohl than anything truly noteworthy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Wilco said:


Part of the reason for his suicide, if you do believe he committed suicide, was the writer's block actually. Hence "better to burn out than fade away" in the note; he wasn't finding an ability to write, which was not helped by the heroin addiction. After 1991 (which is when his heroin use turned into a full blown addiction) he found it harder and harder to write.

 

I used to think he was quoting the movie 'Highlander'. Its strange to think how he must have felt when the whole world was pointing there cameras at him back then, come to think of it imagine nowdayz with everybody having a camera in there pockets with mobile phones, would have been unbearable. Would Kurt still be here if he hadn't have met Courtney? and if he hadn't of been famous? I'm not sure, maybe. I do think Courtney fucked about with his suicide note, for publicity means. The press hounded them although she did feed into it for years, the press had there Sid & Nancy again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

 

I used to think he was quoting the movie 'Highlander'. Its strange to think how he must have felt when the whole world was pointing there cameras at him back then, come to think of it imagine nowdayz with everybody having a camera in there pockets with mobile phones, would have been unbearable. Would Kurt still be here if he hadn't have met Courtney? and if he hadn't of been famous? I'm not sure, maybe. I do think Courtney fucked about with his suicide note, for publicity means. The press hounded them although she did feed into it for years, the press had there Sid & Nancy again.

 

He was quoting from a punk band, forget which, I think he may have been quoting from Sid Vicious himself. People blame Courtney but Kurt also fed into that image too. He wanted fame just as much as she did but he couldn't handle it. Look at Pearl Jam. They were on top of the world in 1993-1994 and they purposefully derailed their own career by doing no videos, virtually no interviews, and taking on Ticketmaster so no major touring either, cause they didn't want it. Kurt signed with the biggest rock label on Earth,  did videos, went on MTV, promoted the fuck out of his band then complained about the pressures of fame.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

 

I used to think he was quoting the movie 'Highlander'. Its strange to think how he must have felt when the whole world was pointing there cameras at him back then, come to think of it imagine nowdayz with everybody having a camera in there pockets with mobile phones, would have been unbearable. Would Kurt still be here if he hadn't have met Courtney? and if he hadn't of been famous? I'm not sure, maybe. I do think Courtney fucked about with his suicide note, for publicity means. The press hounded them although she did feed into it for years, the press had there Sid & Nancy again.

Cobain was badly depressed and his heorin addiction was all he cared about in the end. He didn’t want to stop using, he wasn’t struggling with his addiction, he gave himself fully to it.

 

He never got over his parents’ divorce (just like a lot of high-profile musicians of the era) and that’s all there is to it. Courtney or not, he was miserable with himself, his success, his music, the business, the fans. He was going to die of an OD otherwise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tremolo said:

Cobain was badly depressed and his heorin addiction was all he cared about in the end. He didn’t want to stop using, he wasn’t struggling with his addiction, he gave himself fully to it.

 

He never got over his parents’ divorce (just like a lot of high-profile musicians of the era) and that’s all there is to it. Courtney or not, he was miserable with himself, his success, his music, the business, the fans. He was going to die of an OD otherwise.


He overdosed several times between 1993 and 1994 as it was and Courtney saved him every time. July 1993, Rome 1994, he had another overdose somewhere between those two points. He was pretty fucking determined to die. Look at the home movie of Frances' first birthday in August 1993; he's fucking STONED and barely aware of what's going on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Wilco said:


He overdosed several times between 1993 and 1994 as it was and Courtney saved him every time. July 1993, Rome 1994, he had another overdose somewhere between those two points. He was pretty fucking determined to die. Look at the home movie of Frances' first birthday in August 1993; he's fucking STONED and barely aware of what's going on.

I refuse to watch that shit. That’s private family business. Plus that doc. is full of fake stories. King Buzzo is the guy to

listen to.

 

 

There’s this interview (with Loder I think? Maybe not... where Kurt is playing with something like a necklace made of cellophane flowers and also talks about Tool’s videos being a blatant rip off) where he’s talking about how he’s done with heroin and his stomach issues, and how he’s so over it and has been for a while.... that same day just a couple of hours earlier he had overdosed on heroin.

 

Patty Schemel from Hole brought it up in her bio too, how Cobain was comfortable being a junkie and he just didn’t want to stop using. He wasn’t struggling with addiction, he gave himself to heroin and wasn’t interested in leaving that world.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Tremolo said:

I refuse to watch that shit. That’s private family business. Plus that doc. is full of fake stories. King Buzzo is the guy to

listen to.

 

 

There’s this interview (with Loder I think? Maybe not... where Kurt is playing with something like a necklace made of cellophane flowers and also talks about Tool’s videos being a blatant rip off) where he’s talking about how he’s done with heroin and his stomach issues, and how he’s so over it and has been for a while.... that same day just a couple of hours earlier he had overdosed on heroin.

 

Patty Schemel from Hole brought it up in her bio too, how Cobain was comfortable being a junkie and he just didn’t want to stop using. He wasn’t struggling with addiction, he gave himself to heroin and wasn’t interested in leaving that world.

 

 


How is a literal film of the guy nodding off and slurring a "fake story"? You can see the needle points and shit on him, and in candid fan pictures, the pimples and shit he was developing toward the end from not taking care of his hygiene.
kv4k6z2thd731.png

 

1994.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wilco said:


How is a literal film of the guy nodding off and slurring a "fake story"? You can see the needle points and shit on him, and in candid fan pictures, the pimples and shit he was developing toward the end from not taking care of his hygiene.
kv4k6z2thd731.png

 

1994.
 

Not that one in particular.

 

Buzzo knows, he was close to Cobain.

 

It’s not a secret that he was absolutely messed up on heroin. What is your point?

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Tremolo said:

Not that one in particular.

 

Buzzo knows, he was close to Cobain.

 

It’s not a secret that he was absolutely messed up on heroin. What is your point?


That you're getting at the murder theory which to me is a bunch of horseshit. That's my point. Clear now?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...