6 of the Nicest Things Axl Has Ever Done

Thread for the day 02/10/2021.

GettyImages-535921746.jpg?w=980&q=75

When thinking of nice rock stars, Axl Rose probably doesn't come to mind for most people. The Guns N' Roses frontman often gets a bad rap, and we're not saying whether that's right or wrong, but he has done some nice things for people that aren't often acknowledged.

For instance, if you search "nice things Axl Rose has done," the first article to pop up will be a list that calls him the "biggest douche bag in rock."

We get it, he was a hotheaded dude back in the day. He threw fits onstage, went on tangents, started a couple of riots, showed up late to shows, got into a lot of fights — the list goes on.

axlrosemugshot2.jpg

But considering society has rightfully grown much more accepting of mental illness, we can highlight a few reasons as to why the rocker may have acted in certain ways in the past. Rose's biological father left when he was very young. He grew up thinking his stepdad, Stephen Bailey, was his real dad until he was 17 when he found papers confirming that his father was actually William Bruce Rose. He later told Rolling Stone that after spending some time in regression therapy, he recalled being kidnapped and sexually abused by his father when he was 2 years old. He occasionally mentioned having been diagnosed with manic-depression, or bipolar disorder, in interviews throughout the early '90s, too.

Now, does this justify or excuse any of his actions? Of course not — it wouldn't for anyone. But it can provide some insight as to why he made certain decisions and was thus painted a certain way by the media for years.

Anyway, the point of this is that people are complicated and we aren't here to focus on the negative things Rose has done throughout his life. Instead, we are here to focus on the good — aside from his legacy with Guns N' Roses, of course. Here are the nicest things Rose has done for others.

CAD3F402-AC6D-4DC5-98D7-DEE311FEED28.thumb.jpeg.81226c2a27213616ef21950c6c3c14d1.jpeg

He Hired Dizzy Reed Because He Was Broke

"I was doing this thing called the couch tour," keyboardist Dizzy Reed said laughing in the 1993 Guns N' Roses: Makin' F@*!ing Videos documentary. "It was getting down to, I was like squatting in this apartment. I had like one day left and the phone was getting turned off." Fortunately, Reed had met Guns N' Roses in 1985 during their club days and had kept in touch with Rose. "Finally I got ahold of Axl and I go, 'Dude, tomorrow there's not gonna be a place to get ahold of me.' Quite frankly man, I was starting to give up hope... The next day I got a call that said, 'Dude, congratulations, you're in the band.'" Reed has been a member of Guns N' Roses ever since.

He Helped Jumpstart Blind Melon's Career

When late Blind Melon frontman Shannon Hoon moved to Los Angeles from his hometown of Lafayette, Ind., he quickly learned how difficult it was going to be to make it as a musician. Fortunately, his sister was friends with Rose from back home, and the two singers reconnected in the early '90s. Hoon was invited to sing on several songs of the Use Your Illusion albums — most notably "Don't Cry." He also appeared in the music video, which was heavily rotated on MTV. Rose had Hoon perform the song live with the band several times, especially when GN'R took Blind Melon out as their opener in 1993. "It was a huge deal for me even at that time. They’re the biggest band in the universe at that point, there’s nobody bigger, so to sort of have Axl kind of bless you, and say, ‘I believe in these guys,'" Blind Melon guitarist Christopher Thorn explained on the Appetite for Distortion podcast. "We were really fuckin’ grateful, Axl was really good to us. People try to get me to say shit about Axl, and I can’t say anything about him, other than he might be batshit crazy. But he was lovely to us, and he helped our career so much, and he was always so fuckin’ cool to us.”

He Takes Care of the People He Cares About

Writer and longtime friend of the band Del James can attest to how good of a person Rose really is beneath the surface of the chaos in the past. "The truth of the matter is, whenever my kids needed something and I couldn’t afford it — whatever it was, a medical bill or whatever — he was the first one [to say], ‘Yeah, I got it. And don’t worry about it,'" James told Sirius XM's Sports Zone in 2015. "He’s the guy who you call if you make a mistake and need to be bailed out at 4 o’clock in the morning... He makes sure you’re taken care of, and he looks after his better than anyone else I can think of.”

He Filled in for AC/DC When Brian Johnson Couldn't Finish the Tour

In 2016, AC/DC were left in a bit of a bind when Brian Johnson was told he needed to stop performing in order to prevent his hearing issues from worsening. Enter Rose, who offered to fill in for the frontman just as Guns N' Roses were about to embark on their highly-anticipated Not in This Lifetime reunion tour. He even did a few shows from the throne he borrowed from Dave Grohl. "That allowed us to finish off those dates. So for us, it was a heaven-sent. It was a little bit like a lifesaver," Angus Young told Zane Lowe on Apple Music.

He Gifted Dave Grohl a Guitar as a 'Thank You'

After Dave Grohl broke his leg in 2015, he had a throne designed so that he could still tour. When Rose had an operation done on his foot in early 2016, Grohl lent him the throne so that he could still perform, as well. To thank Grohl for the favor, Rose had Slash pick out a special guitar that he could gift to the Foo Fighters frontman to thank him. “And he picked me an early-’60s Gibson ES 335 Dot, which to this day is the nicest fucking guitar I have ever played in my life," Grohl said. Read the full story here.

He Invited a Server Who Was Given a Racist Note to an AC/DC Concert

In 2016, it was reported that an 18-year-old Honduran-American waitress in Virginia named Sadie Elledge was left a receipt on a table that read, "We only tip citizens." Once Rose heard the news, he invited Elledge and her family to an AC/DC concert in Washington D.C., while he was still performing with them. He even met the server backstage. "Axl’s generosity and good humor made this an absolute highlight in our family’s lives. Talking to him backstage, hearing his humor and feeling his kindness to us only magnified my respect for the man," Elledge's grandfather wrote to Alternative Nation.

Full Shit:

http://loudwire.com/nice-things-axl-rose-has-done/

axlrosemugshot1.jpg

• auad changed the title to 6 of the Nicest Things Axl Has Ever Done

I used to pelt abuse at ginger but I don't think he is so bad really - just very lazy and uncreative (now). He deserves all the abuse he gets now, but during the split there was probably some truth in what he said about Slash and Duff. Duff would sell his grandmother for a penny.

Rose got the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame thing right in fairness. Who would ever want to join a ''rock and roll hall of fame''? You'd have to be a complete wanker to join that - a piss stain" to quote the Sex Pistols.? Just the sort of event Duff ''Punk as Fuck'' would join actually.