Run Thul and the "WTTJ incident" at RIR 2011

Thread for the day 01/23/2021.

gunsnroses_bumblefoot_trooper.jpg

After 9 years without playing in Brazil, Guns N 'Roses performed in five capitals in 2010 - and returned in 2011 for a performance at the Rock in Rio festival. The show at the Rio festival was surrounded by expectations, amid a heavy rain and a long delay to start, but right on the second song of the repertoire, "Welcome to the Jungle", guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal bizarrely missed the solo and left some fans discouraged.

What happened with Bumblefoot, such a technical and skilled musician, in that situation? In an interview with the YouTube channel "No Guitar Is Safe", with transcription via Ultimate Guitar, he remembered the occasion and explained what went wrong.

Ron Thal revealed that it was not only the fault of the Stormtrooper helmet, a character in the "Star Wars" franchise, which he decided to use at the moment for who knows why. In the video, you can see that he seems to be trying to leave the accessory on top of his head, but he gets in the way when his face is completely covered by the object.

Watch below.

That was my first show after a car accident. I was really drunk. Doctors injected steroids into my column and gave me oral steroids. [...] And using a two-necked guitar, weighing 13 pounds, for 3 hours ... my technician had to put and take the guitar off me, because I couldn't even raise my arms due to the damage caused by the accident. Other than I had suffered a concussion, "he recalled.

image.png.01ee8a4e2fcceca07d5d6b55bdc1aa39.png

The musician acknowledges that he shouldn't have agreed to do that tour. "However, you know, I was led to think that the world would end if I didn't do the tour and that I would save the universe by doing that, so I did," he said.

Affected by his health problems and adverse conditions on stage, Bumblefoot came face to face with the helmet. "There was a fan in the front row who had a Stormtrooper helmet. She was so cool. So I took the helmet and put it on. And it was raining a lot, with the water flooding the stage on a level above our guitar pedals. Lots of puddles. on stage, people squeegee, the water causing pyrotechnics to fail. My guitar was soaked and I use fretless (no frets), so my fingers didn’t slide, "he said.

This whole scenario converged once and for all when the guitarist decided to put on his helmet. "As soon as I put it on, I felt like the skin on my face was sticking to it. The helmet got blurry, I had no vision, and the helmet stuck to my face. I couldn't remove it with one hand and the 'Welcome to the Jungle 'arrived. The way I play, I needed to look at the guitar, because I couldn't hear ", he commented.

He decided to stop the ground and remove the helmet with his right hand, leaving it just on top of his head, as if it were a hat. He didn't work. "I moved my head a little and it fit my face again. F * it. It fogged up again, I couldn't see it," he said.

D6003002-8C09-4150-A2A5-4041961B0696.thumb.jpeg.6c43c306a5ff087ff278881da99ea77d.jpeg

Finally, Bumblefoot really had to stop touching the ground to remove the helmet with both hands and throw it on the ground. "And all the time with an indescribable pain, half drugged. I just stopped to take off my helmet," he revealed.

To this day, he receives pictures and videos of that slightly awkward moment through social media. "And the day after the show, I received hundreds of emails from angry fans saying that I destroyed their lives and ruined the song. According to them, I ruined everything because I stopped playing some notes on the solo - a solo that I play perfectly in all shows ", he concluded.

See, below, the full performance of "Welcome to the Jungle" at Rock in Rio 2011 below.

Full shit:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/ex-gnr_guitarist_recalls_wild_struggle_to_play_welcome_to_the_jungle_solo_under_heavy_medication_after_brain_damage_with_stormtrooper_mask.html

The Extras:

Edited by auad
58 minutes ago, bacardimayne said:

the clip of the helmet falling back on his head in perfect sync with the bum note never fails to make me lol

I would have made Stormtrooper suits for the whole band and toured as Axl and the Stormtroopers and released CD II as The Empire Strikes Back. 

Unfortunately this didn't overshaddow

The fat Axl face / meme

The yellow raincoat

Axl's voice

Axl's fuck it, what did i do with GNR? attire. 

This was probably the night where he realized: Shit, I have to call Slash in 3 years... 

I don’t get these threads.

Why expend your limited time on earth hating on something, especially from from 9-10 years ago? Furthermore a guitarist who actually tried to make GNR a functional band?

If you want a two minutes hate, I dunno, go after the big ginger. 

4 hours ago, Manhattan said:

I don’t get these threads.

Why expend your limited time on earth hating on something, especially from from 9-10 years ago? Furthermore a guitarist who actually tried to make GNR a functional band?

If you want a two minutes hate, I dunno, go after the big ginger. 

The stormtrooper incident was funny and deserves a place in the Hall of Shit forever. I do agree that the general hatred Ron gets is mostly unwarranted though.

The fun story about Ron Thal is that Axl thought that he is the CEO of Bumblefood. But instead of backstage catering he signed a contract with a useless guitarist. 

Edited by creed
10 hours ago, Doctor Dom said:

Ron fucking up once because he put a full face helmet on didnt bother me.

Ashba fucking up on the regular because the material was too demanding did...especially when he would be posturing like he was nailing it.

Tommy sarcastically applauding his Patience solo was hilarious.

The musician acknowledges that he shouldn't have agreed to do that tour. "However, you know, I was led to think that the world would end if I didn't do the tour and that I would save the universe by doing that, so I did," he said.

Axl and Team Brazil using the same scare tactics on BBF as Trump used on Fauci

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Someone else might have a better quality gif, this was just the first one I found on google.

tenor.gif?itemid=19321433

Lol.

and ashba getting his feelings hurt and walking away.

what show was this? Did he fuck up bad?