Goblin Cock: "Axl Rose was the one who fired you, right?"

image.png.561a2c29096b1d41cb9475a75e46236d.png

During an appearance on The SDR Show, guitarist Gilby Clarke looked back on his 1991-1994 tenure in Guns N' Roses, while also touching on Sebastian Bach, his early musical days, and more.

Clarke has a single out titled "Tightwad" from the new album "The Gospel Truth." You can check it out here via Amazon.

When the interviewer said, "Axl [Rose] was the one that fired you, right?", Gilby replied (transcribed by UG):

"Well, no. Slash is the one who came to me because Slash was my friend, and he said, 'Look, Axl doesn't want you in the band anymore. Let me just see what's going on.'

"And that was the end, the last conversation we ever had about it. And the next week, my check stopped, and that was it. Axl never supported me."

gilbyclarke_facebook2.jpg

You were talking about a time which was just so foreshadowing an event, that you're in Candy, and you went to see Guns N' Roses when you were just starting here. Just such a crazy story - who the fuck would know you'd be in Guns N' Roses five years later, whatever - it was 10 years later.

"I know, isn't that odd? I saw Guns N' Roses - I think it was their first gig - I don't really remember. But I saw them so many times. I went to see Guns N' Roses because it was Izzy's band, I was friends with Izzy [Stradlin, guitar], and it was, 'Let's see Izzy's new band.'

"But we were also on the road a lot during that so I missed a lot of things. I saw Poison when they first moved to L.A., but when I came off tour it's like they were like the biggest L.A. band, they were headlining every venue, which was a very strange thing."

Full shit:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/gilby_clarke_clarifies_how_he_was_fired_from_gnr_says_axl_never_supported_him_recalls_his_1st_nsfw_groupie_moment.html

and yes, of course ... the cherries on the cake:

Edited by auad

Guns N Roses always had a mystique about them (as in, AFD 5)

They were a certain type of guy from a certain type of place with a certain type of look and behaviour.

Like you couldn't picture them getting a muscled, bearded Aussie drummer in 1990, right?

They still looked cool in the "DEAD" picture in the UYI sleeves but by the time you had Glibby and Teddy and the girls it seemed like a caricature to me.

Certainly Glibby always stuck out like a sore thumb.

In a band like Guns N Roses every personnel change lessens the "credibility" of the name.

Edited by Doctor Dom

Well, thanks Gilby. That's the 4,768th time you have updated us on how you left GNR. Why do a couple of these hired hands, Clarke & Sorum never stfu cry wanking how they left GNR, obviously still pissed they are not on the gravy train anymore. The other hired hands don't whine like these two. 

12 hours ago, gunsntortillas said:

He should be grateful, not salty.

GNR was the peak of his professional career. He has done nothing to show that they were wrong to let him go. He has been able to do numerous other projects like Rockstar Supernova where he banked off the fame of being in GNR for a few years at their peak.

If the point is, that if it was Axl's choice he should have told him to his face, sure. But the fact that it is 2021 and people only talk to the guy to get to the GNR questions should tell you something about his legacy. Which there is nothing wrong with, but I always get the impression this guy is trying to spin it like he didn't get enough from GNR or like he deserves more from them. 

I still don't get it how he managed to feature both Slash and Axl on his solo album... maybe it was recorded before he was fired

Also strange that Axl's first public appearance after 1994 was on a Gilby show in 2000....he sung with him

Actually have some respect for the guy since he turned down the cash cow offer from Fats n' Roses for being a roadie in his daughters band....

16 hours ago, D-GenerationX said:

"Guns N' Roses" to the general public = Axl & Slash

Right or wrong.  So long as those 2 are there, regardless of who else is involved, the public buys it as "Guns N' Roses".

Which is why Duff is smart.  And why Izzy is a moron.

Disagree.. Apparently Izzy doesn't need the money, according to those net worth sites, he's doing quite well for himself. If GnR is only Axl & Slash, why be part of this nonsense? Just stay out of it

• auad changed the title to Goblin Cock: "Axl Rose was the one who fired you, right?"