Are there actually like...real production notes on how the albums were recorded?

I know you can find info on AFD and UYI on what amps/mics were used (iffy of Izzy, though), but I'm talking like....which parts were doubled, compression and EQ notes, etc.? 

I'm particularly interested in CD, as there appears to be no info whatsoever on what amps, instruments, mics, boards were used, how many layers of each track there are (the closest I've found to this is some info from Tommy's gear and mixing the amp and DI signals) as in most songs it actually sounds like each side is doubled tracked in different formations with either heavily processed or actually just synth guitars underneath to thicken everything up. There's also no info on who the fuck is playing what other than obviously being able to tell all of Ron's parts and Bucket leads. Robin and Paul's stuff sounds like it could be the same guy and aren't consistent in which position they are in the mix.

I dont know why the production value of CD is so bad compared to any other studio album of GnR. 

But in movies its the same problem. The cameras they used in the 80s and 90s were much better than the 4K SHIT. The only movie i liked visually in the last 10 years was Blade Runner 2049. And Logan was Terminatorlike. 

Hey "Dr. Thunder".....how old are you?

I'm guessing 30 or under.

I'm an old man and I find it terribly obnoxious when people insert the word "like" into what their writing for no reason.

I understand that people can't utter a full sentence without saying "like" eight times.  I very consciously try to be aware of it and not do it.  It's a terrible habit and makes one sound like a retard.

But even worse is when people insert it into what they write as if they're mimicking their poor speaking habits in written form.  Why?   Why do this?  You actually took the time to TYPE unnecessary vocal fill.

Why didn't you just write "Are there any detailed notes on how the albums were produced?"

Sorry to like....you know....pick on you or whatever?   But like.....I just can't stand, like, just sitting, and like....watching the English language, you know, almost like die right in front of my eyes or something?

(But honestly, I'm sorry....that was a very over the top reaction and very bitchy of me.  As for your question, I have absolutely no idea.   Ask Miser.)

24 minutes ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

I'm an old man and I find it terribly obnoxious when people insert the word "like" into what their writing for no reason.

I understand that people can't utter a full sentence without saying "like" eight times.  I very consciously try to be aware of it and not do it.  It's a terrible habit and makes one sound like a retard.

But even worse is when people insert it into what they write as if they're mimicking their poor speaking habits in written form.  Why?   Why do this?  You actually took the time to TYPE unnecessary vocal fill.

Why didn't you just write "Are there any detailed notes on how the albums were produced?"

Sorry to like....you know....pick on you or whatever?   But like.....I just can't stand, like, just sitting, and like....watching the English language, you know, almost like die right in front of my eyes or something?

(But honestly, I'm sorry....that was a very over the top reaction and very bitchy of me.  As for your question, I have absolutely no idea.   Ask Miser.)

I'm in my....like.....30s. You fuck.

Anyway it's baffling how there's really no information on the actual production of Chinese beyond "there were a lot of producers and a lot of musicians on it". I can't even find much info about live rigs for Robin while in Guns, just some bizarre pedal board contraption he personally built for post 2012 NIN tours.

Wait, I actually do remember something useful.

I think it was from Slash's book, specifically about recording Appetite.

I'm paraphrasing here, so bear with me cause I haven't read the book in years, but he definitely mentioned that he was never able to fully replicate the sound he had in the studio due to something about the humidity being just right, and that the amps he used were either stolen or lost, so the "true" Appetite sound was lost forever.

CD seems to be hated, although those than pined for Slash not being on the album, got a better deal with Bucketheads work on that album, not every track features him but its still better than what any of the other GNR members managed to come up with working on there own projects. CD while not consistent, is a still a good album, it could have been better, I still enjoy listening to it, bar a couple of tracks. 

I think the main reason is that they had too many producers and engineers.

Tracing things back track by track would be an insane pain in the ass considering how the songs were assembled and how long it took from conception to release.

There are probably dozens of guitar tracks per song, each recorded at a different time by different people. Maybe what would be Bucket’s guitar track in any given song is made from different stems from different sessions recorded with different gear.

i’d love a special release of CD with all the info from those sessions, but i doubt that will ever happen.

I would buy:

-Chinese Democracy Naked: Chinese Democracy stripped down before the decades of additions. Basically, 2000 Intentions.

-Chinese Democracy Box Set: Any of the unreleased music. The dozens of different versions of each song.

-Chinese Democracy Abandoned Follow Up Album: The album from 2010 or 2014 or whatever that was shelved because Axl didn't see his shadow early enough, and then there was a reunion.

-The Spaghetti Incident Remastered: As long as it was a non-brickwalled version of this album. Although. the vinyl rip which is out there is adequate. I could be wrong, but I believe the original vinyl wasn't mastered hot like the CD.

-Slash/Axl/Duff 2020 Album: Would not be as excited about this as the Chinese Era stuff since they are not strong song writers, and I am not a big fan of Slash's creative direction over the last decade. If Izzy came in, and they were stealing the best Chinese era stuff written by Buckethead, then it could be really good. 

So basically, new or unheard music, with the only oddity being that I want a non-vinyl version of the Spaghetti Incident that isn't mastered hot. 

20 hours ago, Dr. Thunder said:

I know you can find info on AFD and UYI on what amps/mics were used (iffy of Izzy, though), but I'm talking like....which parts were doubled, compression and EQ notes, etc.? 

I'm particularly interested in CD, as there appears to be no info whatsoever on what amps, instruments, mics, boards were used, how many layers of each track there are (the closest I've found to this is some info from Tommy's gear and mixing the amp and DI signals) as in most songs it actually sounds like each side is doubled tracked in different formations with either heavily processed or actually just synth guitars underneath to thicken everything up. There's also no info on who the fuck is playing what other than obviously being able to tell all of Ron's parts and Bucket leads. Robin and Paul's stuff sounds like it could be the same guy and aren't consistent in which position they are in the mix.

You could find some tidbits from 4tus and Brain, maybe if you nag BBF enough

besides, the album was mostly done in Pro Tools, so it doesn't really matter....Only analog albums are interesting gear wise, imho

20 hours ago, creed said:

I dont know why the production value of CD is so bad compared to any other studio album of GnR. 

But in movies its the same problem. The cameras they used in the 80s and 90s were much better than the 4K SHIT. The only movie i liked visually in the last 10 years was Blade Runner 2049. And Logan was Terminatorlike. 

It's called "shot on film". Actual, physical material with according lenses and whatnot

That being said 4K is probably all we need, humans don't really need more than that (8K, 16K  etc.)

I'm more disturbed by badly executed CGI, de-aging

Films with prosthetics were 10 times better than cheap CGI crap

On 1/22/2021 at 2:03 PM, Dr. Thunder said:

Yes, I believe for certain songs, Slash would mention what equipment he used - mainly on the UYI songs. As for CD, I am sure there were some things mentioned. I will try to investigate and see what I can find. I was never into the 'gear' aspect of album production, mainly things like the timelines and stuff so give me some time.

On 1/22/2021 at 2:24 PM, EstrangedTWAT said:

The English language isn't dying it's just evolving. 

3 hours ago, arnold layne said:

image.png.0539fc71b9b37934374513dc35648765.png

Dr. Thunder. 

Like Dr Pepper, but for trailer trash. 

When I was a kid, the shitty off brand Dr. Pepper sold at Aldi's was DR. SWEET!!   But I can't find any photographic evidence of it.

Apparently it's called Dr Dazzle now.

Dr.-Dazzle-Soda-e1561232798698-274x300.j

If your insurance is too shitty to afford a consultation with Dr Pepper, Dr Thunder, Dr Sweet, or Dr Dazzle, you can always make an appointment to see Dr. Pop.

8851929_orig.jpg?119

On 1/23/2021 at 6:24 AM, EstrangedTWAT said:

giphy.gif

6 hours ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

When I was a kid, the shitty off brand Dr. Pepper sold at Aldi's was DR. SWEET!!   But I can't find any photographic evidence of it.

Apparently it's called Dr Dazzle now.

Dr.-Dazzle-Soda-e1561232798698-274x300.j

If your insurance is too shitty to afford a consultation with Dr Pepper, Dr Thunder, Dr Sweet, or Dr Dazzle, you can always make an appointment to see Dr. Pop.

8851929_orig.jpg?119

The drink sold as Dr. Pepper is shit in my opinion

Edited by wheresizzy