Jump to content

Anyone else miss the 90s?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brian Jones missed them.     The 70s and 80s too.

I just miss the world prior to 9/11

My fav was Salami Spice

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Wilco said:

I was born in 1990, but I do remember the 90s very well. My earliest memories are from 1992 or 1993.

 

Maybe it's all the weed I used to smoke, but I don't remember a fucking thing when I was two years old. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

what i associate each decade with

 

10s - the titanic

20s - hats

30s - prohibition, the wizard of oz

40s - world war 2, the great reset

50s - boomers, barber shops, elvis

60s - weed, acid, brian jones

70s - the eagles, station wagons with faux wood interior, disco, mustaches and ELO

80s - the drum sound in black sabbath - headless cross, pat benetar, cyndi lauper, hair spray

90s - wcw nwo logo aesthetic, attitude era wrestling in general, the simpsons, game boys, pokemon cards, alt rock

00s - ugly fonts, bad web design, timbaland and gwen stefani

10s - twitter culture, donald trump, jewish oppression

20s - corona, fat, shit

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dazey said:

Speaking of retro games? Has anybody here got an arcade machine at home?  

no but i have a fuckton of arcade games installed on my PC via MAME

that's what i was playing when i brought up the punisher that time

one thing i realized revisiting arcade games recently is how short they are

when i was younger games like the simpsons and the punisher felt long but now i can finish them inside of an hour?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, bacardimayne said:

no but i have a fuckton of arcade games installed on my PC via MAME

that's what i was playing when i brought up the punisher that time

one thing i realized revisiting arcade games recently is how short they are

when i was younger games like the simpsons and the punisher felt long but now i can finish them inside of an hour?

 

I loved LOVED the simpsons arcade game as a kid

 

The-Simpsons-Arcade-Game-from-Konami-Ren

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

 

Maybe it's all the weed I used to smoke, but I don't remember a fucking thing when I was two years old. 


At the very earliest they have to be from 1993, because I remember in detail a house we lived in only up to late 1993. I was able to describe parts of that that were never captured on film or photo in detail, and I had that confirmed to me by several people. So let's say 1993. I know I can remember when my father was arrested, my mother going to the jail in Florida at night during a rainstorm and that was May of 1993. I remember her having a hard time parking my dad's minivan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

 

fixed that for you... and seriously man high school senior photos? I guess it's not too surprising but still, what the fuck. Why are you once again making threads reminiscing about the time when you were 5 years old?

 

You know what Brian Jones would do? he'd do drugs He'd get some fuckin help man. Be cool like Brian Jones.


So paid fuckin historians whose job it is to reconstruct the past - they're all assholes to you. Can't say any goddamn thing about say, The Roman Empire or the culture of the Weimar Republic because no one is alive to have lived in those periods, right? Like, when historians use say, the writings of Caesar about the Barbarian tribes' north of the Rhine - their cultures, traditions, fashion - that's just bullshit, right? Or when people write about the Puritans and their beliefs and traditions and what have you based on contemporary sources - fuck that shit, right?

No possible way to reconstruct or get a feel for a past decade's vibe or culture in ANY way unless you lived it?
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, bacardimayne said:

what i associate each decade with

 

10s - the titanic

20s - hats

30s - prohibition, the wizard of oz

40s - world war 2, the great reset

50s - boomers, barber shops, elvis

60s - weed, acid, brian jones

70s - the eagles, station wagons with faux wood interior, disco, mustaches and ELO

80s - the drum sound in black sabbath - headless cross, pat benetar, cyndi lauper, hair spray

90s - wcw nwo logo aesthetic, attitude era wrestling in general, the simpsons, game boys, pokemon cards, alt rock

00s - ugly fonts, bad web design, timbaland and gwen stefani

10s - twitter culture, donald trump, jewish oppression

20s - corona, fat, shit


You can't say shit, you didn't live through the glorious decade of the 80s with all its teased hair, Reaganite, full untrimmed bush glory, you're obviously a moron who has no idea what he's talking about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Wilco said:


You can't say shit, you didn't live through the glorious decade of the 80s with all its teased hair, Reaganite, full untrimmed bush glory, you're obviously a moron who has no idea what he's talking about.

Shut up faggot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

You do see the difference between the Roman empire and the 1980s, right?


Yeah, it's a lot easier to get an idea what the 80s were like since we have a ton of documentary stuff from that time

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wilco said:


Yeah, it's a lot easier to get an idea what the 80s were like since we have a ton of documentary stuff from that time

 

So mainstream media/movies/pop culture nowadays is shit and littered with biased talking points, but mainstream media from 30-40 years ago was a clear, honest representation of what life was like? They didn't exaggerate or propagandize anything? You can accurately grasp another time from new articles, fashion scenes and 80s romcoms?

No, you can't. You're trying to talk like someone who lived at the time, when really you barely even lived through the 90s. I was born in '93, I have some fond memories of the mid-late 90s but through an obviously limited perspective so I don't see a point in romanticizing the decade.

Why is this like the 10th time (probably more than that tbh) that you've posted these childhood photos on a gnr forum? What the fuck is this fixation on your childhood?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bran said:

I just miss the world prior to 9/11

I honestly thought for a bit after reading your post above 

 

After a few hours letting it sit i agree with you. The world and culture have been so different since. I don't think we ever got back to normal as we knew it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

 

So mainstream media/movies/pop culture nowadays is shit and littered with biased talking points, but mainstream media from 30-40 years ago was a clear, honest representation of what life was like? They didn't exaggerate or propagandize anything? You can accurately grasp another time from new articles, fashion scenes and 80s romcoms?

No, you can't. You're trying to talk like someone who lived at the time, when really you barely even lived through the 90s. I was born in '93, I have some fond memories of the mid-late 90s but through an obviously limited perspective so I don't see a point in romanticizing the decade.

Why is this like the 10th time (probably more than that tbh) that you've posted these childhood photos on a gnr forum? What the fuck is this fixation on your childhood?

 

I'm talking things like local news with regular interviews or even time capuscle like stuff shot by private citizens, which does exist and is easily accessible on Youtube. People put up all sorts of "regular people" stuff from ALL decades on there, home movies, local events, etc, that doesn't have a "mainstream media bias" since it's by regular people like you or I.

I'd say that even mainstream news, let's say idk, channel Dallas KTV 1 whatever the fuck has a piece from 1981 or so, the reporters are going to reflect the fashions of 1981, and let's say they're interviewing people on the street about such and such or reporting even on such and such - the regular average people you see walking on the street can be considered representative of the people of Dallas in 1981.

It was a happy time, that's why, a time I actually do remember very well, and also, from an American perspective, rhe 90s was a good time culturally, politically, musically, and otherwise (video games, comics, etc). For me the 90s took everything that was good with the 70s and 80s and ran with it - without the lesser qualities of those decades (IE no massive fuckin' 70s sideburns or frilly collars or 80s perms).

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's my point. There are THOUSANDS of videos like the ones above all over youtube.
From them, you can get definitely an idea of what the vibe was like
What people generally speaking dressed like
And then you look at movies and TV and see that, just like today, what people wear and dress on the street is reflected in movies or on TV or vice versa

It's a good way to get a GENERAL picture of a time period. Obviously nothing compares to living through it.  But the wonders of modern 20th century technology allow to get a GENERAL picture of a given time period, such that you can make a GENERAL conclusion about that time period for the positive or negative.

 

We are not speaking about a far, far distant time in the past where there were no ways to truly document the time in any reasonable way, where any discussion becomes pure speculation or educated guess.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You DO know that until the very late 60s, people in movies didn't talk the way people in real life talked, right?

 

The "transatlantic" accent was made up for movies and TV.  No real people actually talked like that.  So your "actual, real, totally authentic" documents of life in the 50s are 100% bullshit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

You DO know that until the very late 60s, people in movies didn't talk the way people in real life talked, right?

 

The "transatlantic" accent was made up for movies and TV.  No real people actually talked like that.  So your "actual, real, totally authentic" documents of life in the 50s are 100% bullshit.


Of course, which is why, before around the early 70s or so, such does become unreliable. 
I also never dropped the 1950s into the conversation. 

However, I will say this for that particular time period: I know you said you don't watch a lot of older movies, or things before you were born, but most American characters in movies in the 50s and before don't use transatlantic accents, except ones who are supposed to seem "noble."

That said, what we would view as a transatlantic accent or the classical British accent DID exist among normal people. This is an interview with a woman born in 1868, from 1977:
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

You DO know that until the very late 60s, people in movies didn't talk the way people in real life talked, right?

 

The "transatlantic" accent was made up for movies and TV.  No real people actually talked like that.  So your "actual, real, totally authentic" documents of life in the 50s are 100% bullshit.


This is accurate. Not a film, but a taped union meeting in NYC in the 1960s.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...