Anyone else miss the 90s?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brian Jones missed them.     The 70s and 80s too.

I just miss the world prior to 9/11

My fav was Salami Spice

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, bacardimayne said:

I have a film of my then 70 year old grandmother doing the Macarena during Christmas 1996. And she was a Rush Limbaugh obsessed conservative, mind you, who hated the Democrats and Clinton.

EVERYONE in 1996 was doing the fucking Macarena.

The song stayed #1 on the charts for 20 weeks straight!

Edited by Wilco
4 minutes ago, Val said:

For some reason whenever I think of the 90s all I think about is the Spice girls

I loved the spice girls lol 

"I'll tell you what I want what I really really want"

I remember it being around 1998, 1999, and hating that stuff. My niece (who was 4 or 5) LOVED The Spice Girls, obsessed with them, that much I remember. All I can remember thinking is how gay it all seemed. The Spice Girls, NYSNC, Back Street Boys, As a boy in 1998, 1999....God that stuff was horrible.

Axl Rose, 1996

59azdwqqscy21.jpg

A thin guy still with a full head of hair, who we know from Anxious Disease (recorded that year) still had a voice, who looked like he could easily have retaken rock's throne at any time

guns-n-roses-band-member-axl-rose-arrive

Still in good shape, and still with a decent voice, but balding and had decided that emulating the Predator was a good look. It wasn't.

gettyimages-538225382.jpg

A shitty hair transplant or two, and about two hundred cheeseburgers later, Axl Rose marked 2016 as being even more shit, reserving the last vestiges of his voice for AC/DC while giving GN'R fans jack shit, while looking like he swallowed a small child.

49 minutes ago, Val said:

For some reason whenever I think of the 90s all I think about is the Spice girls

I loved the spice girls lol 

"I'll tell you what I want what I really really want"

I remember having the flu and having to stay at my cousins house until my parents got home, my three female cousins being all under the age of 6 playing the fucking one song over and over and over on a boombox, I wish I had just died.

Edited by bran

Amy Jo Johnson aka The Pink Ranger aka Susie Q aka Miser's first celebrity crush

DYLO.gif

Tia Carrere, a mega babe, back in '92

cassandra-wong-waynes-world-tia-carrere-

Neve Campbell at the peak of her beauty, 1996, Scream

MV5BMjIzMDIwOTA1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjk0

The lovely Jennifer Love Hewitt, 1997

los-angeles-ca-september-23-1997-actress

2 minutes ago, Doctor Dom said:

The 80s were the golden years, my very young PADAWAN.

Too much hairspray for my liking, too much Reagan shit, too too many gimmicks. Late 80s, 88-89 are cool but the rest of the decade is a little cringey to me. Too bright, too gaudy, too much Wall Street cocaine bullshit. 

35 minutes ago, Wilco said:

Too much hairspray for my liking, too much Reagan shit, too too many gimmicks. Late 80s, 88-89 are cool but the rest of the decade is a little cringey to me. Too bright, too gaudy, too much Wall Street cocaine bullshit. 

How the fuck would you know?

You weren't even alive then you fatheaded twit.

16 minutes ago, Doctor Dom said:

You're a fucking idiot.

It's just not a decade I'm into. Only 80s things I like are:

Brooke Shields
The redhead from Breakfast Club
Terminator 1 
Indiana Jones 1-3
Back to the Future
Die Hard

Beverly Hills Cop

Lethal Weapon

Skid Row

GN'R

New Wave/Post Disco/some LA Glam/Some "college rock" like REM

Industrial albums from the 80s & Pixies records & Killing Joke & Nirvana's first

Early 80s hardcore Punk

The Lost Boys

The Company of Wolves

Batman 1989
Star Wars V & VI
Star Trek II-V

Little Mermaid

Great Mouse Detective

Oliver & Company

All Dogs Go To Heaven

Heavy Metal

Have tried to watch 80s TV, some is okay, most is corny (so is a lot of 90s TV), don't think 80s were a good time for fashion, music outside of Rock was hit or miss, Rock itself was hit or miss, too much bush, too much shoulder pads, too much teased hair

Edited by Wilco
9 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

"I was born in 1990"

"the 80s were cringey, too much hairspray and Reagan"

"The 70s were grainy and raw"

:gunner:

They weren't ancient times, you know....Documentary evidence from 70s, 80s, and 90s do exist, enough to form a general opinion about them. It's not like I'm commenting on some period 1,000 years ago that we have scant knowledge of.

The best ways to get a feel for a decade besides movies are:
-TV shows, since TV reflects real life in real time more

-News reports, since news reporters tend to reflect fashion PLUS they give interviews and such with normal, regular people, which further give a look at how people looked, thought, talked, etc and the general vibe of the era

-Literature including newspapers from the periods, which I do read, to get a vibe of the times
-High School Senior photos to get an idea of the popular trends among young people of varying decades
-Music

My favorite modern eras as such are the late 1960s through mid 1970s, around 1967-1974, and 1994-1997/1998.

Have a fondness to a degree too for the early 90s, 90-92 because it was an interesting fusion of the late late 80s, Hair Metal, and early Grunge.

Also think the 1900s-1910s era before WWI was pretty cool, 1930s were cool but more in terms of the Art Deco look than anything else, late 1950s because of Elvis & Rock N' Roll, early 1960s because of Doo Wop and Soul.

Edited by Wilco
3 minutes ago, Wilco said:

The best ways to get a feel for a decade besides movies are: to have lived through them

fixed that for you... and seriously man high school senior photos? I guess it's not too surprising but still, what the fuck. Why are you once again making threads reminiscing about the time when you were 5 years old?

You know what Brian Jones would do? he'd do drugs He'd get some fuckin help man. Be cool like Brian Jones.