“Starman” - The David Bowie Thread

Really a Starman. Incredible artist.

6tiAjlcE_o.jpeg

Left us on January 10, 2016.

When it comes to Bowie, there's no need to choose ... any of his albums is an impressive listening experience.

In the last few days I have been listening to "Outside" , “Earthling”, “Hours” and "Heathen". Amazing!

eLSzQhtl_o.jpeg

Edited by auad
  • auad changed the title to “Starman” - The David Bowie Thread

A glorious artist, incredibly talented and unique. He never stuck to a formula, never became derivative, he was constantly moving forward magestically.

Blackstar holds an incredible emotional weight for me, makes it hard to listen to it.

I still find it incredible how he turned his own death into his last piece of art. Fucking SUBLIME.

My favorite artist since a wee boy.

Blew my mind when I was old enough to start getting his albums myself and discovered The Man Who Sold The World and the Ronson era stuff.

I used to dismiss most everything before Space Oddity/self titled album but later realised there's gold there too.

Toy helped a lot there.

I can never settle on a favorite album.

I also haven't fully digested BlackStar because it's still very raw.

His later or "neo classical" period is amazing too, he never turned out rubbish.

I've loved David Bowie since I was like, 4, and my sister showed me the movie Labyrinth. She got me the soundtrack on cassette for my 4th birthday in November 1994. Cool big sis.

My favorite songs by him are Five Years and Cracked Actor.

Essential Bowie for me:

1. Heroes

2. Ziggy Stardust

3. The Man Who Sold The World

4. Aladdin Sane

4. Space Oddity

5. Low

6. Hunky Dory

7. Station To Station

8. Blackstar

9. Diamond Dogs

10. The Next Day

11. Scary Monsters ( And Super Creeps )

The rest borders on the verge of mediocrity with few good songs here and there on each release. Tim Machine was awfully bad.

3 hours ago, Ragnar said:

Essential Bowie for me:

1. Heroes

2. Ziggy Stardust

3. The Man Who Sold The World

4. Aladdin Sane

4. Space Oddity

5. Low

6. Hunky Dory

7. Station To Station

8. Blackstar

9. Diamond Dogs

10. The Next Day

11. Scary Monsters ( And Super Creeps )

The rest borders on the verge of mediocrity with few good songs here and there on each release. Tim Machine was awfully bad.

I'll give you Tin Machine.

"Amazing" is a good song of theirs.

No Young Americans?

The Lodger?

Outside?

Heathen?

Never Let Me Down and Black Tie/White Noise are half amazing, more than a few great tracks on each.

Hours has a couple of his best songs on it too!

Besides Tin Machine and the 60s album, the only album of his I don't really care for is Reality...and that still has a couple of great songs.

23 minutes ago, Doctor Dom said:

No Young Americans?

The Lodger?

Arguably his weakest 70s albums. Right up there with Pin Ups.

24 minutes ago, Doctor Dom said:

Outside?

Heathen?

Never Let Me Down and Black Tie/White Noise are half amazing, more than a few great tracks on each.

Hours has a couple of his best songs on it too!

Like I said, There are two, three good songs on each but as cohesive units I don't hold those albums in high esteem. 

His 80s output, "The Phil Collins Years' as he himself referred to, is his worst by far.

• 2 weeks later...

eSY88toX_o.jpeg

Bowie’s beautiful rendition for "Mother" by John Lennon. Launched to celebrate 74 years that Starman would do on 8th January 2021.

Also:

Edited by auad

I remember buying Tin Machine. I listened to it twice and decided to take it back and exchange it for Girls, Girls, Girls by Motley Crue. 

Changesbowie is probably in my top 10 albums and Deranged was great. I really liked his album Reality. 

Along with the stones, the doors, and U2, Bowie was the first artist that I ever really dug deep into their discography, bought all the albums, read the books, etc. 

im a Bowie fan for life. I once won a 4-pack of tickets to see him on his 1989 tour

• 3 weeks later...

If you think that's bad (not really) do yourself an outrage (favour) and listen to the "Running Gun Blues" from The Man Who Sold The World album 😀

"I'll slash them cold, I'll kill them dead
I'll break them gooks, I'll crack their heads
I'll slice them till they're running red
But now I've got the running gun blues"