Have you ever noticed that the intros for all of New GNR’s songs kind of suck?

On 12/29/2020 at 5:11 PM, Tremolo said:

Why is the Brian May solo so fucking revered?

I get the version is much less cluttered, there’s more room for things to breathe, but for fucks sake, that guitar solo is such a no-thing. Kinda aimless, no defined melody, long sustained bends that just stay there.

It always seemed to me that the overwhelming positive reaction to it was just a consequence of the “Brian May” name and nothing else. The guy can write amazing guitar lines, beautiful melodies... I aknowledge and admire his talent, but that solo for CITR sounds like it was written and performed while barely awake after taking too many xanax bars.

Brian's chopped up solo was still better than Bumblefoot's. While I love both guys, Bumblefoot's solo didn't fit in any fucking way there. The final solo was decent, though

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always liked the My Michelle intro. 

Everything on CD is fucking awful. EVERYTHING 

The 2002 CD intro is so much better than the 2008 version. So long for no reason

1 hour ago, Jeff Isbell said:

Brian's chopped up solo was still better than Bumblefoot's. While I love both guys, Bumblefoot's solo didn't fit in any fucking way there. The final solo was decent, though

Better how? It just doesn’t make any sense, it’s completely aimless, no direction, no melody, nothing, just random long bends.

Not shitting on May, since that’s not his solo.

The final solo (the one that ended up being used on the final release) is coherent, carries a melody that goes along the lines of the overall song. If it was my song and I was trying to find a good solo, that Axl-May abomination wouldn’t even be considered for shit, it would go straight to the garbage. The final solo is nothing out of this world, but it doesn’t have to be; there’s more (and better) to work with using that performance.

22 hours ago, Budd Dwyer said:

Perhaps is better than CITR with May

In fact Atlas is better too

In more fact: Catcher is one of the worst songs on the record, it's worse than Scraped in my book

It's a boring plodding mess with a laughable and predictable song structure

shit

Agreed. Don’t like that song....other than maybe last 20 seconds. Never understood the hype 

1 hour ago, Tremolo said:

Better how? It just doesn’t make any sense, it’s completely aimless, no direction, no melody, nothing, just random long bends.

Not shitting on May, since that’s not his solo.

The final solo (the one that ended up being used on the final release) is coherent, carries a melody that goes along the lines of the overall song. If it was my song and I was trying to find a good solo, that Axl-May abomination wouldn’t even be considered for shit, it would go straight to the garbage. The final solo is nothing out of this world, but it doesn’t have to be; there’s more (and better) to work with using that performance.

Even when the fat man pasted May's shit together, it still sounded like a basic Brian May solo to me w a hint of a decent melody. BBF was a mindless wankery for that particular song - this solo would have been a better fit for some heavier song like on his side projects or Sons Of Apollo.

4 hours ago, Jeff Isbell said:

Even when the fat man pasted May's shit together, it still sounded like a basic Brian May solo to me w a hint of a decent melody. BBF was a mindless wankery for that particular song - this solo would have been a better fit for some heavier song like on his side projects or Sons Of Apollo.

I think you’re just being a fanboy. There’s a lot of bumble guitar wankery going on on CD, but the solo in CITR carries a pretty decent melody.

The axl cut & paste collage is just atrocious. The only May thing about it is the tone, that in itself adds absolutely nothing.

5 hours ago, Tremolo said:

I think you’re just being a fanboy. There’s a lot of bumble guitar wankery going on on CD, but the solo in CITR carries a pretty decent melody.

The axl cut & paste collage is just atrocious. The only May thing about it is the tone, that in itself adds absolutely nothing.

No, I am not being a Brian May nutswinger, but Bumble definitely didn't shine there. It's comparable to what Slash would do w CD songs live. That's just my opinion - his solo didn't fit in that well. Nothing can change my opinion about Brian's solo having a more fitting melody even after being slaughtered by the fat man.

3 hours ago, wasted said:

We’ll always have CD. 

And Axl's vault will always have the other 10-25 year old songs. Fucking Rolling Stone interview two decades ago talking about Oklahoma and shit. Have you heard about Neil Young's Archives site? Why's I have to pick being a fan of the fattest, useless bloody singer?

On 12/29/2020 at 8:09 PM, wasted said:

But who wrote Hard School and who plays it. 

I think if Axl got together with Trracy Guns or Jon E Love they would do commercial hard rock that Axl would take to the next level. Axl singing for Skid Row or Love/Hate would make them much more successful. 

But it really is Axl’s melting pot idea that made GNR stand out. And that more 70s sensibility. Going that route made them stand out. Being a more hard rock Queen isn’t the most uncommercial idea. 

Axl writes on piano so he could have made it as the new Elton John.  It’s really dictated by the industry in a way. Nov Rain really sets GNR apart from LA Guns or Pussycat.

I was always intrigued by Axl’s idea of where gnr should go. But he should have found a competent producer for the task and also walk away from that role and just become and advisor.

I like the melting pot idea. Some of my favourite albums are hard to label when it comes to genre.

There is an album called “PSYENCE” by a japanese musician called “hide”. That album is an amalgamation of metal, hard rock, surf rock, industrial, pop, groovy go-go music, big band/jazz, ska,  etc. A fucking masterpiece that despite all those influences, still flows seamlessly. But that’s just one mastermind behind all of it.

Axl needed help to achieve his vision, but for one reason or another he couldn’t make it happen.

2 hours ago, Tremolo said:

I was always intrigued by Axl’s idea of where gnr should go. But he should have found a competent producer for the task and also walk away from that role and just become and advisor.

I like the melting pot idea. Some of my favourite albums are hard to label when it comes to genre.

There is an album called “PSYENCE” by a japanese musician called “hide”. That album is an amalgamation of metal, hard rock, surf rock, industrial, pop, groovy go-go music, big band/jazz, ska,  etc. A fucking masterpiece that despite all those influences, still flows seamlessly. But that’s just one mastermind behind all of it.

Axl needed help to achieve his vision, but for one reason or another he couldn’t make it happen.

It seemed to grow incrementally. Axl started with the idea of changing the sound of Guns. And he had a solo project. He was doing things with other musicians, everybody was doing whatever. Slash didn’t want to do that really or Axl’s Ballads. My guess is the idea was they have Slash and Duff that keeps it Guns but then add to it, kind of do an Achtung Baby. But Slash just wanted to do hard rock and left, leaving Axl with no real easy way to make a Guns record so all the other stuff was moot kind of. Axl seemed to realize you can’t replace Slash so ended up going more Alt rock. And that was a problem for rec comp who just saw their cash cow disappear. And at Interscope. GNR weren’t the big deal, it was Eminem, so there was no rush. I think Axl ended up making something way more ambitious than originally planned. It may have been easier to get a more hard rock guitarist to hold the fort. The music was always there but it wasn’t what the industry wanted from GNR. 

1 hour ago, Ragnar said:

He did n't write those songs on his won. Are you fucking thick ?

Maybe but I prefer retarded. 

I think you misunderstood me a little. You think I said Izzy writes hits for them. Honestly I think they make his songs hits. But often the hits are co written by Izzy. 

But without him are they hits?

Often as in 4 out of 7 big hits are co written with Izzy. 

Sometimes Axl and Slash write a hit like Jungle, Paradise or Nov Rain, sometimes they need Izzy for SCOM, Patience, YCBM, Don’t Cry to help them write a hit. 

So the point was Axl and Slash need each other to write hits for GNR, but sometimes/often they need Izzy as well.

3 hours ago, wasted said:

Maybe but I prefer retarded. 

I think you misunderstood me a little. You think I said Izzy writes hits for them. Honestly I think they make his songs hits. But often the hits are co written by Izzy. 

But without him are they hits?

Often as in 4 out of 7 big hits are co written with Izzy. 

Sometimes Axl and Slash write a hit like Jungle, Paradise or Nov Rain, sometimes they need Izzy for SCOM, Patience, YCBM, Don’t Cry to help them write a hit. 

So the point was Axl and Slash need each other to write hits for GNR, but sometimes/often they need Izzy as well.

The whole sound of the classic lineup was a combination of all members doing their own thing. Take out anybody and it doesn't sounds like Guns N' Roses anymore

Steven could be an exception, but when he came back for a song or two on those shows in 2016, the band actually sounded like GNR and Axl instantly sung better. Frank is such a generic drummer and not even the tightest on that regard... no real grooves

GNR haven't had a drummer with a groove since Steven left (even though he was just your average Sunset Strip drummer and not technically a beast, his playing is crucial. Just like Izzy in the 80's

As for writing: they haven't had a consistently good album since AFD...

2 minutes ago, Budd Dwyer said:

The whole sound of the classic lineup was a combination of all members doing their own thing. Take out anybody and it doesn't sounds like Guns N' Roses anymore

Steven could be an exception, but when he came back for a song or two on those shows in 2016, the band actually sounded like GNR and Axl instantly sung better. Frank is such a generic drummer and not even the tightest on that regard... no real grooves

GNR haven't had a drummer with a groove since Steven left (even though he was just your average Sunset Strip drummer and not technically a beast, his playing is crucial. Just like Izzy in the 80's

Ok I’m a OG GNR reunionist. My dick fills up for that. That’s the easiest way to awesome. 

But I was just analyzing hits or songwriting. Stats wise Izzy means hit more than 50%, and in terms of classics Izzy has a great record. Talking about just Axl and Slash just seems a little off. I’m pretty sure Axl n Slash can write a hit album, it’s just Izzy did bring a lot of songs and ideas that is at least a another dimension if not a good bet for another GNR hit/classic. If I’m spinning the wheel on a GNR record I want Izzy involved. 

20 minutes ago, Budd Dwyer said:

As for writing: they haven't had a consistently good album since AFD...

For the last sentence. Writing wise they have always delivered, it just the recording of the songs. UYI is indulgent but it paid off, CD is a little humble given the scope. AFD is kind of the sweet spot. 

5 minutes ago, wasted said:

For the last sentence. Writing wise they have always delivered, it just the recording of the songs. UYI is indulgent but it paid off, CD is a little humble given the scope. AFD is kind of the sweet spot. 

when was truly the last time they wrote together? I mean all of the guys in the same room, jamming etc.

probably in 86....

Of course the records have hits songs, but as for a cohesive album, AFD was the last one

UYI was pretentious as fuck but it worked, big time (even financially)

CD kind of sucked at the end but some songs had potential

I'd say Chinese Democracy (the song) with the original short form is a hit (if it has been released at the right time)

TIL is a poor man's November Brain for retarded brazilians (even though he sounded great on the remix version)

Better was also a strong contender but it lacks something to be a true hit...

TWAT is too "epic" in that regard, IRS has great moments, but not a hit at all

The rest of the album is a big filler