Why were Tom Petty (and the Heartbreakers) so great?

—His voice. Tom's unique, nasal rasp and slurred vocals, and country twang are instantly recognizable.

—His message. One of hope. You can do it. You don't have to live like a Refugee. The underdog can win.

—His band. Better than the Stones. Tom Petty and Mike Campbell were better than Keith and Ronnie, and the Heartbreakers stayed together for 40 years! That's no small feat.

—The songs! Tom Petty has a Rock Anthem on every album. He could take a general, widely-held sentiment, and convey it in a simple, sing-along form.

Really hated his stuff as a kid, when I'd hear him on the radio or see a video on MTV.   Just wasn't into that nasally voice.

Then around the time I was in high school, he released "Mary Jane's Last Dance" and I was converted.

My favorite of his is "You Don't Know How It Feels."

Not a fan. He was one of those "critically acclaimded" artists (alongside Bruce Springsteen, Alice Cooper, Ozzy, Prince, Morrissey, Lou Reed etc) whose appeal I don't get. I find each one of them average at best and mediocre at worst (Ozzy, Morrissey).

One of my favorite deep cuts. It was the first song of the band's that I listened to that wasn't typically on the radio.

And of course he was Lucky on King of the Hill. That's extra cool points right there. Sure, the show slid downhill during his time on it, but I think the character still had his moments. And it also gave us the immortal line, "I'm gonna help you run down that dream, Bobby."

14 hours ago, Ragnar said:

Not a fan. He was one of those "critically acclaimded" artists (alongside Bruce Springsteen, Alice Cooper, Ozzy, Prince, Morrissey, Lou Reed etc) whose appeal I don't get. I find each one of them average at best and mediocre at worst (Ozzy, Morrissey).

Youve got to check out the following Alice Cooper (group) albums:

Love It To Death (71)

Killer (71)

School's Out (72)

Billion Dollar Babies (73)

1 minute ago, Doctor Dom said:

Youve got to check out the following Alice Cooper (group) albums:

Love It To Death (71)

Killer (71)

School's Out (72)

Billion Dollar Babies (73)

I've listened to those albums and still Alice Cooper is n't for me either the original band or Furnier as a solo artist.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I remember when I was 16 we used to drive around listening to the Petty greatest hits smoking bowl after bowl. I don’t know why, we just put it in one day, and it somehow became the soundtrack to us blazing after school lol.

anyways I remember he played a concert in 2010, and I had a free ticket. this girl id been trying to get with for a while finally caved that night. So I chose that of course. Kinda regret it now. Would’ve liked to see him live once, and I could have for free. Little did I know that’d be my only shot.