Pat Smear vs. Gilby Clarke

Pat Smear was added to Nirvana in 1993 as an official member and rthythm guitarist; Kurt Cobain said he always envisioned Nirvana as a four piece band.

Gilby Clarke was added to Guns N' Roses to replace Izzy Stradlin as rhythm guitarist in 1991.

Who was better/worse?
379c749055ffdd257fcb4507bce58d55.jpg

34d769862829f8b68b53d95d86a447bd.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There can only be one correct answer to this question. Brian Jones.

Almost like he's full of shit and just wants to sound edgy or something. "Never heard a Foo Fighters song" yeah that's possible.

There's only one Spaceman and his name is Ace Frehley.   Ack!

41 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

First time I've ever heard about Pat Smear.

He was a member of Nirvana from 1993 to when Kurt died. He plays for example at MTV Unplugged and during their 1993 tour and their brief tour in 1994. Kurt hired him as an official member because "I always envisioned Nirvana as a four piece." Early in their career they had a second guitarist named Jason Everman as well.

1 hour ago, Wilco said:

He was a member of Nirvana from 1993 to when Kurt died. He plays for example at MTV Unplugged and during their 1993 tour and their brief tour in 1994. Kurt hired him as an official member because "I always envisioned Nirvana as a four piece." Early in their career they had a second guitarist named Jason Everman as well.

Oh yeah also a orginal and current member of the foo fighters you idiot.

2 minutes ago, Bill Brasky said:

Oh yeah also a orginal and current member of the foo fighters you idiot.

I've never listened to a single song by the Foo Fighters and honestly couldn't tell you who was or is a member outside of Dave.

7 minutes ago, Ragnar said:

Joke aside, Gilby is such a talentless hack. Worse than Paul Tobias. Can' t even play Sweet Child intro properly. Axl was right when he kicked Gilby's dumb ass out.

Paul Tobias is actually a pretty good guitar player.

3 minutes ago, Wilco said:

Paul Tobias is actually a pretty good guitar player.

No he isn't. People with musical talent would know that.

Edit, lol Musical, not medical.

2 minutes ago, AxlisOld said:

No he isn't. People with medical talent would know that.

He's no Jimmy Page, but he's not TERRIBLE, as Slash said. Keith Richards is technically a pretty limited and shitty guitar player yet at the same time he's one of the absolute greatest ever, it's not about technical skill, it's about what you do with the instrument for me. I'm not putting Paul up on that level, I'm just saying - he isn't as terrible as Slash made him out to be.

4 minutes ago, Bill Brasky said:

:facepalm:

I'm being deadass. I've never in my life listened to The Foo Fighters. Dave Grohl was a cool drummer in Nirvana but I listen to Nirvana for Kurt Cobain and his lyrics, melodies and guitar playing. I've never had any interest in any Nirvana solo projects. I like Nirvana and Hole, and that's the intent of it for me. Kurt could've reformed the entire band with different members like he was planning on doing before he died, and it'd still be Nirvana to me. Nirvana to me is like Nine Inch Nails - it's TECHNICALLY a band, but really, it was about one guy. 

And yes, Kurt really sent a letter to Krist and Dave in March 1994 saying they were fired and he was going to refound Nirvana with all new members (likely Pat Smear on guitar and Eric Erlandson on bass). He demo'ed a version of Do Re Mi on March 25th 1994 with that lineup. He played drums and sang.