Axl's "Look At Your Game, Girl" Press Release, March 1994

Q Magazine - March 1994

Bring Out The Manson

Statement from W. Axl Rose concerning the unlisted bonus track, Look At Your Game, Girl by Charles Manson, on Guns N' Roses' new album, The Spaghetti Incident?

It's come to my attention that some people have taken offence to a particular song, Look At Your Game, Girl, on our new album The Spaghetti Incident?. What it all boils down to is this: The Spaghetti Incident? is 13 historical and musical gems that may have been overlooked. For instance, New Rose was one of The Damned's main songs but for whatever reason a lot of the world didn't hear it.

In Indiana, I was ridiculed and physically attacked for my musical tastes, tastes that I never made any effort to hide. I thought it would be interesting for the so called mainstream and the people who were against this material when I was a teenager to actually hear these songs. Maybe they'll hear something they like, and more importantly, maybe they'll go and find the originals better, including Look At Your Game, Girl. The reason we didn't list that song on our album is we wanted to downplay it. We don't give any credit to Charles Manson on the album; it's like a hidden bonus truck.

It's my opinion that the media are enjoying making a big deal out of Guns N' Roses covering a song that Charles Manson recorded, but if another band had recorded that song, it probably wouldn't have been of interest. The media need their "bad guys" to guarantee some ratings, so they use Manson's name coupled with mine to promo their news programs.

However, when I do something positive, like contribute to charity, it's hard to get the news to pick up on those stories. The media is an interesting beast.

Why did I choose to cover that particular song?

Oddly enough, one of the things we do up at my house is have "Name That Artist" contests where we play obscure songs and everyone tries to name the artist. My brother Stuart found Look At Your Game, Girl at a large record chain and, needless to say, he won that round. Personally, I liked the lyrics and the melody of the song. Hearing it shocked me and I thought there might be other people who would like to hear it.

I like the words because, to me, it's about a woman who has thrown things away. She thinks she's gaining love but basically she's gaining sadness. It was very fitting for a personal situation I happened to be in. The song talks about how the girl is insane and playing a mad game. I felt that it was ironic that such a song was recorded by Charles Manson, someone who should know the inner intricacies of madness.

Manson is a dark part of American culture and history. He's the subject of fear and fascination through books, movies, and the interviews he's done. Most people hadn't heard anything Charles Manson recorded.

A lot of people can say I wear the "Charlie Don't Surf" T-shirt for shock value, but I've worn that shirt for the past year on tour, all over the world. Yes, I was trying to make a statement. I wore the T-shirt because a lot of people enjoy playing me as the bad guy and the crazy. Sorry, I'm not that guy. I'm nothing like him. That's what I'm saying. There's a real difference in morals, values and ethics between Manson and myself and that is "Thou shalt not kill," which I don't.

I'm by no means a Manson expert or anything, but the things he's done are something I don't believe in. He's a sick individual. Look at Manson and then look at me. We're not the same. Plus, I like the black humor of the "Charlie Don't Surf" line for the movie Apocalypse Now.

I think people think I'm crazy because I believe in telling the truth. I'll admit sometimes I don't do a perfect job of it, but my efforts are true.

It is my understanding that the song was written by Dennis Wilson. To what extent Charles Manson is involved in the publishing, I'm not aware. However, I am donating all my personal profits from having that song on our album to a charity, an environmental group to help protect wildlife and our oceans. In our video for Estranged, which will be the last video for the Use Your Illusion albums, we used dolphins, and this is my way of giving something back to the dolphin, which are endangered and threatened with extinction.

Unfortunately I Don't Surf Either.

Interesting read, never found it before

Oddly enough, i'm searching for shitty Marilyn Manson demos (from the Spooky Kids era), because it came up to my attention that Manson apparently raped and tortured Evan Rachel Wood and he used some video footage of it on his website as an intro back in 10-11 years ago

So that boils down to Charles Mansons original material, heard a few of his recordings too and recently i thought about the GNR cover of LAYGG

It wasn't even a bad recording, but it's understandable that Axl downplayed it

Marilyn Manson was a creative degenerate though

Might start a thread about him

The next? press release via fax to mtv was epic though. Almost all points said 'fuck you to all fans, you will get nothing'. Like the fans were responsible for his laziness and out of ideas state of mind. Haha. 

And his super lie at #6 that there will be a new album. Haha. At this point, he hadnt put one single line of lyrics on any tracks according to Slash and Matt. (except TIL). 

LIVE!!!! From "Burning Hills", California...

Due to overwhelming enthusiasm, and that "DIVE IN AND FIND THE MONKEY" attitude....

#1. There will NOT be a Guns N' Roses tour.

#2. There will NOT be an official Guns N' Roses web site.

#3. There will NOT be any NEW Guns N' Roses videos.

#4. There will NOT be any new Guns N' Roses involved merhandise.

#5. There will NOT be a Guns N' Roses Fan Club.

#6. There will be a new Guns N' Roses 12 song minimum recording with
three original "B" sides.

NOTE: If all goes well this will be immediately repeated.

#7. However*******Slash will not be involved in any new Guns N' Roses
endeavors? as far has not been musically involved with Guns N" Roses
since April 1994 with the exception of a BRIEF feel period with Zakk
Wylde and a 2 week initial period with Guns N' Roses in the late fall
of '95. He (Slash) has been "OFFICIALLY and LEGALLY" outside of the
Guns N' Roses Partnership since December 31, 1995.

Nothing here is Subject To Change
                Without A PERMANENT SUSPENSION
                Of the "Pseudo Studio Musician Work Ethic"

SINCERELY,

W. Axl Rose

Big FD Ent., Inc.
Mike "Duff" McKagan

1 hour ago, Doctor Dom said:

Oh man, I remember that last one...I have always remembered the "pseudo studio musician work ethic" bit but not known what it was from.

Didn't he send Slash a bullet with his name engraved on it around this time?

It's not from anything. What he's referring to is Duff and Matt doing Neurotic Outsiders at the time which had the makings of a supergroup and basically I guess he felt they were acting in a similar manner to studio musicians. At the same time, Slash was guesting on MJ's records and other people's albums which is what studio musicians do. Basically he's saying that their focus isn't on Guns N' Roses and denigrating them as having poor work ethic as such.

4 hours ago, creed said:

The next? press release via fax to mtv was epic though. Almost all points said 'fuck you to all fans, you will get nothing'. Like the fans were responsible for his laziness and out of ideas state of mind. Haha. 

And his super lie at #6 that there will be a new album. Haha. At this point, he hadnt put one single line of lyrics on any tracks according to Slash and Matt. (except TIL). 

Due to overwhelming enthusiasm, and that "DIVE IN AND FIND THE MONKEY" attitude....

SINCERELY,

W. Axl Rose

Big FD Ent., Inc.
Mike "Duff" McKagan

There's a lot of shit from that era though....Matt at the same time said they'd recorded 7 songs (August 1996). Duff at the time said they were gonna record a new song for the new Jackie Chan movie (in September 1996). Slash said they were doing mostly Axl's material in mid October 1996. So who really knows the truth as to those mid 1990s sessions as to what exactly was recorded?

"Axl is rhythm guitar on his own songs for the time being." (Slash chat, 07/30/96)

"For the last couple of years, [Axl] started to go, 'Okay, I'm going to play guitar and actually learn what these notes are.' It's an innocent guitar, not unlike Izzy (Stradlin, ex-GN'R guitarist) was, but Axl's got a lot more musically than Izzy ever did.'" (Duff, Addicted to Noise, 08/30/96)

"Right now, he's playing guitar and it's like he plays that instrument for ten years." (Matt, 09/23/96)

"The songs are really good, and I have a good vibe about it. I wouldn't want to go out and do a bad Guns N' Roses record." (Slash, Kerrang, 09/21/96)

"We have been doing mostly Axl's material." (Slash chat, 10/16/96)

"So far, Slash and McKagan say the band has worked up about 16 songs, and the bassist reports that: 'the material is really strong...This record is going to fuckin' rock. There's nothing like the chemistry of Guns when we're in the same room.'" (Total Guitar, 01/97)

"This is not as sophisticated as Illusion, but not as wild as Appetite. It's in the middle. Maybe more groovy. Musically, we are all better. I never heard Duff play like that."  (Matt, 09/23/96)

Matt: No. He's unknown. But I can't tell you his name because I don't know if he will tour with us. There will probably be several guitarists on this album, a lot of guests. We are working on rock songs that last only 4 minutes (laugh). We already did 7 songs and we will write 7 others. - Matt, 1996

45 minutes ago, Wilco said:

It's not from anything. What he's referring to is Duff and Matt doing Neurotic Outsiders at the time which had the makings of a supergroup and basically I guess he felt they were acting in a similar manner to studio musicians. At the same time, Slash was guesting on MJ's records and other people's albums which is what studio musicians do. Basically he's saying that their focus isn't on Guns N' Roses and denigrating them as having poor work ethic as such.

Yeah I was like 16 or so at the time and always remembered that line from reading it in a magazine but have never read/seen that since...I don't need you to explain anything thanks kid 👍

2 hours ago, Wilco said:

There's a lot of shit from that era though....Matt at the same time said they'd recorded 7 songs (August 1996). Duff at the time said they were gonna record a new song for the new Jackie Chan movie (in September 1996). Slash said they were doing mostly Axl's material in mid October 1996. So who really knows the truth as to those mid 1990s sessions as to what exactly was recorded?

"Axl is rhythm guitar on his own songs for the time being." (Slash chat, 07/30/96)

"For the last couple of years, [Axl] started to go, 'Okay, I'm going to play guitar and actually learn what these notes are.' It's an innocent guitar, not unlike Izzy (Stradlin, ex-GN'R guitarist) was, but Axl's got a lot more musically than Izzy ever did.'" (Duff, Addicted to Noise, 08/30/96)

"Right now, he's playing guitar and it's like he plays that instrument for ten years." (Matt, 09/23/96)

"The songs are really good, and I have a good vibe about it. I wouldn't want to go out and do a bad Guns N' Roses record." (Slash, Kerrang, 09/21/96)

"We have been doing mostly Axl's material." (Slash chat, 10/16/96)

"So far, Slash and McKagan say the band has worked up about 16 songs, and the bassist reports that: 'the material is really strong...This record is going to fuckin' rock. There's nothing like the chemistry of Guns when we're in the same room.'" (Total Guitar, 01/97)

"This is not as sophisticated as Illusion, but not as wild as Appetite. It's in the middle. Maybe more groovy. Musically, we are all better. I never heard Duff play like that."  (Matt, 09/23/96)

Matt: No. He's unknown. But I can't tell you his name because I don't know if he will tour with us. There will probably be several guitarists on this album, a lot of guests. We are working on rock songs that last only 4 minutes (laugh). We already did 7 songs and we will write 7 others. - Matt, 1996

There is no evidence that Axl did any vocals. The instrumentals were done. Matt said that Axl came for recording once in 1996 and said: OK, i think i have a nice chorus for that one song you did. And they all knew in this Moment, that there will be never vocals by Axl, because he was out of ideas and lazy as fuck. 

7 hours ago, creed said:

SINCERELY,

W. Axl Rose

Big FD Ent., Inc.
Mike "Duff" McKagan

SINCERELY,

W. Axl Rose

Big FD Ent., Inc.
Mike "Duff" McKagan

what the fuck was that Big FD Ent. Inc.

and lol Duff signed this

36 minutes ago, Budd Dwyer said:

SINCERELY,

W. Axl Rose

Big FD Ent., Inc.
Mike "Duff" McKagan

what the fuck was that Big FD Ent. Inc.

and lol Duff signed this

Big FD Entertainent, Inc was the company Doug Goldstein owned.

Nothing to add to Axl's rambling nonsense, but I will say I got "TSI?" on the day of release and after my first listen through, it was easily my favorite song on the album.

Must have been the inimitable guitar stylings of Axl's fucking landscaper Carlos Booy.

220px-AcousticBassGtr.jpg

Carlos Booy......."!!! Verdadera Leyenda ¡¡¡"

3 hours ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Nothing to add to Axl's rambling nonsense, but I will say I got "TSI?" on the day of release and after my first listen through, it was easily my favorite song on the album.

Must have been the inimitable guitar stylings of Axl's fucking landscaper Carlos Booy.

That guitar has a fat gut, it looks like Axl in 2020

18 hours ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

It is pretty random that Axl decided to do the number with his landscaper, isn't it? I mean, he could've easily given Slash a ring and said 'I just thought of this new song, let's do it'....It's him, Carlos, and Dizzy on bongos. Just weird man