US Politics, Culture, and Society

12 minutes ago, wasted said:

But second impeachment means he can’t run in 2024? 

Then if they paint Don as a Nazi inciting violence then he can’t even make fun of Biden on tweeter. 

They are basically censoring running on the issues 70 million Americans voted for. And Pelosi says people are just being selfishly white. And Biden says no help for white businesses. If this isn’t time for insurrection, when is? 

Yes, if he's convicted in the impeachment trial, he can't run in 2024 or ever again. And depending on how loosely you define the clause in the Constitution, he also might be prohibited from running any business in America that earns a profit, as well. So if he's convicted, he's utterly fucked, beyond running again:

"Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States; but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law."

The first part, depending on how loosely you choose to define it, could literally mean he would not only be disqualified from holding any office, but holding any office of any business ("office of trust or profit").

Secondly, the second bolded portion, means that impeachment does not preclude being charged in criminal court; meaning say Trump is convicted on the article - inciting insurrection - once removed from office, he could then be charged in criminal court with any range of charges from sedition up to and including treason, and the penalty for treason is death.

So he's literally, possibly, if convicted looking at, I'd say at a minimum, 25 to life in prison or even possibly the death penalty. Given the Democrats' seething hatred of him, I don't see it as impossible that it would go that far.

It would bring the Democratic base en masse if Trump was tried and sentenced to death in criminal court after being impeached and convicted.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We lost Mags and gained Dazey.    Worst trade in history. 

People don’t even use their 5 senses anymore. This demonstration was quite tame. Watch the videos. Always go to primary sources. 

Posted Images

Office … under the United States =   All positions created, regularized, or defeasible by federal statute including (nonelected) legislative branch positions    

Offices of Profit Under the United States: Offices holding regular salary or other emoluments    

Technically, if one applies a loose definition to the clause, if convicted Trump would be prohibited from literally holding any office that would grant him a "regular salary" aka a job.

We have not had a President yet convicted during an impeachment trial, so there is not any literal precedent for the punishments thereof. However I am sure pursuing the legal code there are probably similar cases wherein lesser elected officials were impeached and removed, and those legal precedents would be used in deciding what conviction in this second impeachment would mean for Trump.

But the Constitution is clear on one thing - impeachment does NOT preclude being charged with criminal offenses, or going to prison. This is a major reason why Ford pardoned Nixon in 1974; it saved Nixon from the criminal trial that was building against him. He had already been named an "unindicted conspirator" in Watergate in sealed documents before he resigned, so the legal recourse was there to try him for federal crimes in criminal court after he had resigned.

8 minutes ago, Wilco said:

Yes, if he's convicted in the impeachment trial, he can't run in 2024 or ever again. And depending on how loosely you define the clause in the Constitution, he also might be prohibited from running any business in America that earns a profit, as well. So if he's convicted, he's utterly fucked, beyond running again:

"Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States; but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law."

The first part, depending on how loosely you choose to define it, could literally mean he would not only be disqualified from holding any office, but holding any office of any business ("office of trust or profit").

Secondly, the second bolded portion, means that impeachment does not preclude being charged in criminal court; meaning say Trump is convicted on the article - inciting insurrection - once removed from office, he could then be charged in criminal court with any range of charges from sedition up to and including treason, and the penalty for treason is death.

So he's literally, possibly, if convicted looking at, I'd say at a minimum, 25 to life in prison or even possibly the death penalty. Given the Democrats' seething hatred of him, I don't see it as impossible that it would go that far.

It would bring the Democratic base en masse if Trump was tried and sentenced to death in criminal court after being impeached and convicted.

I’m not sure his companies make a profit, he doesn’t actually get an income from them to avoid income tax. So he pays what is known the Alternative Wealth Tax which is 40 million dollars a year. But I guess he just walks into the bar in Mar a lago and they give him a sandwich. Hold the mayo. Everything is like an expense account. 

6 minutes ago, wasted said:

I’m not sure his companies make a profit, he doesn’t actually get an income from them to avoid income tax. So he pays what is known the Alternative Wealth Tax which is 40 million dollars a year. But I guess he just walks into the bar in Mar a lago and they give him a sandwich. Hold the mayo. Everything is like an expense account. 

His businesses may not earn a profit in the traditional sense, but he would be barred, theoretically, from holding any office in a corporation, or business which would earn him a profit - and he does profit from his businesses due to the positions he holds within them. Also, if they really want to go hard, they could potentially label his business a Trust, which would doubly disable him from earning a living. 

25 minutes ago, wasted said:

A man can dream.

A 24 hour a day free dunkin donuts just for me.

Brasky would go like elvis within 5 years.

27 minutes ago, Wilco said:

His businesses may not earn a profit in the traditional sense, but he would be barred, theoretically, from holding any office in a corporation, or business which would earn him a profit - and he does profit from his businesses due to the positions he holds within them. Also, if they really want to go hard, they could potentially label his business a Trust, which would doubly disable him from earning a living. 

He’s been bankrupt before, his friends just lend him money. Trump is a walking advert for the slogan “Money isn’t real”. All he wants is attention, to look like the man with the plan. He could let Don Jr run the companies and Trump will just come in for a steak at lunch time. One way or another he’s going to make money. He could just go live in the Ukraine. 

Pelosi is now using the terms "sedition" and "treason" in relation to Trump and his January 6th speech. She has basically called his supporters "treasonous" if they are apologetic for his speech or activities. She says the future of our country and democracy are at stake and Trump must be removed "immediately" because he represents a "danger" to the country; he is "deranged" and it is scary "what he might do next."

She also referred to the rioters as 'terrorists.'

One of her Democratic allies: "Political violenc is never the answer." Tell that to Minneapolis. 

The House voted to invoke the 25th Amendment, urging Pence to join with the cabinet to force Trump's removal.

7 hours ago, bran said:

Oh War on Terror 2.0 is already coming for conservative groups, inciting violence on Inauguration Day will just be the cherry on top. I expect ANTIFA and BLM have something already planned.

I wonder if we can convince them it’s not about race and more about class. You aren’t poor because the other side hates your race, it’s because the elites use you to get elected then don’t do anything for you. If both sides realized they could elect someone together. The elites keep fueling the race war because they are afraid everyone will turn on them. 

52 minutes ago, Wilco said:

Pelosi is now using the terms "sedition" and "treason" in relation to Trump and his January 6th speech. She has basically called his supporters "treasonous" if they are apologetic for his speech or activities. She says the future of our country and democracy are at stake and Trump must be removed "immediately" because he represents a "danger" to the country; he is "deranged" and it is scary "what he might do next."

She also referred to the rioters as 'terrorists.'

One of her Democratic allies: "Political violenc is never the answer." Tell that to Minneapolis. 

The House voted to invoke the 25th Amendment, urging Pence to join with the cabinet to force Trump's removal.

Pelosi is the one saying we are evil because we are white. That’s the most dangerous thing you can say. 

She’s basically saying they can’t allow anyone to even question what they are doing. 

7 hours ago, bran said:

Oh War on Terror 2.0 is already coming for conservative groups, inciting violence on Inauguration Day will just be the cherry on top. I expect ANTIFA and BLM have something already planned.

Dance, my puppets! Dance!

It’s crazy how humans can be manipulated so easily. What I find most insane is how critical thinking can be bypassed like it’s nothing.

Very interesting times to be alive.

11 hours ago, Cigarette Smoking Man said:

I guarantee you neither are the richest man in the world. That richest man would never allow plebs to know his business. 

People like the Aga Khan have so much more money and power that very little of the world knows or understands, especially when only looking at "traditional" wealth ....the Niarchos family is in the same category

Edited by deelowbrown
2 hours ago, Tremolo said:

Dance, my puppets! Dance!

It’s crazy how humans can be manipulated so easily. What I find most insane is how critical thinking can be bypassed like it’s nothing.

Very interesting times to be alive.

I think because the two political sides are so binary, they deal in absolutes right? Trump is fully right, Pelosi is right - that inspires other binary thinkers. And the half wits in the media love it because that’s an easy story. It’s clear and it has a story arch. Critical thinking is too complicated to control. That actually is what they do. Think about it, you want votes, I want to target people who have a certain or guaranteed opinion. People who are religious or are social justice warriors are not changing their minds. So in a way, people who don’t vote are indicative of the problem. How do I even get out of bed in the morning! I’ll die and nobody will know I figured it all out.  

17 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think because the two political sides are so binary, they deal in absolutes right? Trump is fully right, Pelosi is right - that inspires other binary thinkers. And the half wits in the media love it because that’s an easy story. It’s clear and it has a story arch. Critical thinking is too complicated to control. That actually is what they do. Think about it, you want votes, I want to target people who have a certain or guaranteed opinion. People who are religious or are social justice warriors are not changing their minds. So in a way, people who don’t vote are indicative of the problem. How do I even get out of bed in the morning! I’ll die and nobody will know I figured it all out.  

It seems that tribal mentality trumps (lol) critical thinking.

We’re just dumb apes with smartphones.

12 minutes ago, AxlisOld said:

Because then he's a martyr. If they strike him down he shall become more powerful than could ever imagine.

But aren't they making a martyr of him as it is, dragging this out, and basically making this a prolonged political execution? It has to be clear to your average person - not your Trump supporter or Liberal, but your average Joe American - that he has been raked over the coals and continues to be. It has to be clear as day that they have become unhinged and relentless and that since even before his Presidency began, they've been trying to destroy him.

I like to think that your average American has enough sense to see that, and to feel bad in some ways for the man. I do not agree with him on all things; I do think he is in many ways the author of his own misfortunes - But no other political figure in American history, save perhaps for Abraham Lincoln, has been treated with as much disrespect and contempt or as unfairly from the very outset of their term.