What are your opinions on Madagascar, The Blues, and Catcher?

Personally I feel they, along with Scraped (outside of that horrible intro) are the only really worthwhile songs on CD. Madgascar has a simple but memorable little melody and maybe not the BEST chorus, but a halfway decent refrain. The Blues is too poppy for me, but I can understand its' appeal for others. Catcher is a genuinely pretty song that I actually wish someone else besides Axl was singing. The lyrics, melody and instrumentation is all beautiful, he just ruins it with his subpar singing. 

What are your opinions on these particular tracks?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like BRIAN JONES’s guitar solo in Catcher in the Temple of Doom.

S

They need more mellotron 

Madagascar needs some additions:

Stronger more rolling bassline

Something like a guitar chord starting maybe two or so bars before the vocals start, which continues throughout the song to give it a little more oomph. Maybe even some sort of rhythm guitar that goes along with the drum track/beat

A little music box counter melody starting around 10 seconds that continues throughout the song in a sort of rhythmic, circular fashion, pushed to the back of the mix but still audible.

Very low in the mix maybe an acoustic playing chords.

Madagascar is probably my favorite "new" guns song. The lyrics are cool, I like the vocals aside from the layers/dracula/mickey at the end chorus. Always liked this song. 

SoD(The Blues) is alright. Simplistic Elton John style piano ballad. Falls into the category of songs that probably would have been big if released 10 years earlier. 

Catcher is good lyrically, but his vocal on that one is spotty. I think it needs to be stripped down. Liked the earlier versions where it was simpler, with the Brian May solo.

I have a generally favorable opinion of Ron Thal as a guitarist and human being, but his additions to CD are painfully out of place and poorly mixed. No better example than his solo on CD. Doesn't fit the song and too high in the mix. 

Madagascar has remained largely unchanged in my opinion, but I prefer the final version w minor tweaks over the 1998-2001ish fat leak. 

The Blues would have been perfect if fatty kept the drum intro, Robin's little flowing licks and Paul's guitar on the first chorus. The 1999 version(drum intro, Paul, Robin) and 2008 final(amazing synth job) are basically a tie for me.

You can shit on Miser and his threads all the way you want, but I see a guy focusing on details of different shit and I kinda like it

I liked The Blues (Street of Dreams is too overdone) and Catcher In The Rye ten years ago. I haven't listened to them since then. 

Never cared for Madagascar. I always found it dumb Axl used the same byte in Madagascar as he did with Civil War. Bothered me a lot. 

Atlas Shrugged is a better song even though the transition between the verses and the chorus is a trainwreck. 

All of them were better in their "Rough Mix" form.

Madagascar is a good song but the live versions from 01-06 were better than the studio versions.

The Blues peaked in 2002. The early demos are so much better than the later versions. It's probably the CD song that suffered the most from overproduction (TWAT is a close 2nd though). The MSL 2007 leak was really good though, and was my favourite for years... do we know what year that's from? I would assume 2004 at the latest.

The demo version of Catcher is great, legitimately one of the best songs Axl has done despite his clean vocals, but the album version is a fucking mess. It's another great example of overproduction ruining a song, and even if Axl had to replace Brian May for whatever reason... why the fuck did he let Bumblefoot meander his way through the song? A Robin solo probably would've fit better. At least the 2010 acoustic performances of it were pretty cool. It's also a better overall song than Atlas... I'm glad we got to hear an early version of Atlas, as I imagine it also sounds like an overproduced clusterfuck at this point.

Prostitute is better than all 3 songs though.

The songs would all have, to my ears anyway, have sounded better if they had employed a real orchestra, like British bands do, rather than the tacky keyboards they went with.

When I first heard Madagascar, from Rio, I imagined this beautiful rolling orchestra driving it, with some Led Zep style guitar, and the modern (now horribly dated) elements making an appearance in the lulls - the synths, the loops etc. Instead, what we got was rather flat, dull, poorly produced piece of shit with fat fucking vocals on it. Same goes for that shitty SOD song.

I quite like the 99 version of CITR as it is though.

None are "bad" songs, but I think they suffer the same fate as the rest of the album; overproduced, overdubbed, too many layers, poorly mixed. 

Lyrically, I think all three are pretty strong. Madagascar has something going with the French horns, but as Barry said, why not use real instruments instead of synths?

I just think Faxl was trying to reinvent the wheel instead of leaning on decent lyrics. Honestly, solid lyrics, bucket, brain and Tommy Stinson alone should have been good enough to release a good album in 1999. 

Catcher suffered from being one of those highly rumored mythical tracks like Atlas, Seven, and The General we heard about for years, and when it finally came out - while an ok song, the reaction was lackluster.

They're all better songs in their rawer forms from the locker. 

Awful songs.

Madagascar is soooooo boring and imo it has the worst AXL vocals ever recorded he sounds like 70 years old.

Street of dreams and Cather are just weak overproduced piano songs with weak guitar solos .

I havent listened to CD songs in years and i will die happy if i never heard any of them ever again 

4 hours ago, MacDaddyRose said:

Songs have not aged well. Does anyone really find themselves listening to CD songs? Honestly my most played CD track of late might be IRS. Not into the long drawn out ballads

I cant stand the sound of CD. I liked the leaks from 2004-2006. But the final product is a bad joke. Its the most expensive album ever made. The second most expensive one had costs of +-1 million dollars. Shadow of your love is so much superior soundwise...CD is a joke from its production value. 

The last time i listened to CD was 2008. It sounds so wrong. Mickey Mouse feat paid musicians. It simply cant sound good. Duff and Slash will correct some stuff at least, but without Matt and Izzy it still wont sound right. 

4 hours ago, Barry said:

The songs would all have, to my ears anyway, have sounded better if they had employed a real orchestra, like British bands do, rather than the tacky keyboards they went with.

When I first heard Madagascar, from Rio, I imagined this beautiful rolling orchestra driving it, with some Led Zep style guitar, and the modern (now horribly dated) elements making an appearance in the lulls - the synths, the loops etc. Instead, what we got was rather flat, dull, poorly produced piece of shit with fat fucking vocals on it. Same goes for that shitty SOD song.

I quite like the 99 version of CITR as it is though.

I totally agree. Just imagine Led Zeppelin drums on Maddy and a real orchestra on all ballads. I think, thats what everyone expected...the costs indicated it. Marco Beltramis intro indicated this. But what we got instead was Pitman and Dizzy using cheap sounding effects and instruments... Another mystery is why Axl didnt rerecord new vocals and why they didnt autotune his voice to make him sound more like UYI Axl. 

Beltramis intro from The General

Can't believe you guys took the bait and kept Miser's 17th "Underrated CD songs" thread going.

I couldn't be bothered to search for the original threads this time, but don't worry...next time Miser regurgitates one of his annual brain fart threads, I'll drudge up all the old identical ones he forgot writing.