Your GNFNR Unpopular Opinons

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Start to finish, Use Your Illusion II is Guns N' Roses' best, most listenable album.  

Chinese Democracy is great album. 

NITL proved that the idea of Slash is better than Slash himself, who is as equal a sloppy shell of himself as Alex Ross is.    The band was cooler in '06 in all facets than it is now. 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Waggy said:

Who is? 

For being a good band & cool & successful probably Thin Lizzy.

There's plenty of bands I'd rather listen to, The Stones have a few good albums and the best corporate touring machine in music. Their influence is undeniable but better artists have come and gone. Phil Lynott, Tom Petty, even Zeppelin are more enjoyable.

2 minutes ago, bacardimayne said:

90% of that is Miser spamming pics of his 1960s discord e-bf Brian Jones

U7Ghu2s.gif?noredirect

I have a few, and I'm serious.

Gilby Clarke was a fine addition to the band, and at least one or two of his songs on Pawn Shop Guitars could have been GNR tunes.   I consider his "Dead Flowers" studio version with Axl as an official GNR B-side.

DJ Ashba is a fucking retard, and I don't like the guy, but he played the old songs better than Finch, and "Mi Amor" and "Ballad of Death" are perfectly cromulent tunes, and again, with any kind of Axl vocals, would have been decent GNR songs.

Robert Finch was without a doubt the worst lvie guitarist I ever witnessed in GNR, at least on the non-CD songs.  He intentionally butchered and bent all the notes to hell, was out of tune, and looked like he had fucking downs.   (He was awesome when I saw him in NIN though.)

Bumblefuck also sucked ass.....that's not an unpopular opinion....but if he truly was the one responsible for getting Fat Axl to sing Estranged again?  Then I owe him a coke.

From the nuGuns era to the present, the hardest worker on stage, every single night, is The Nose.  The man is up there selling it like a hooker....he never stops or takes breaks.  He's 100% pro and he deserves recognition for his work ethic.  If you ever catch another GNR show, watch him for a while; he's awesome.

And finally....I'd love to see Izzy come back and do some songs with the original AFD 5 at least ONCE.....but he wasn't "the essential" missing link of GNR like his mythology has grown to become.  If he's so great, how come his solo stuff is dogshit?

Edited by EstrangedTWAT
1 minute ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

I have a few, and I'm serious.

Gilby Clarke was a fine addition to the band, and at least one or two of his songs on Pawn Shop Guitars could have been GNR tunes.   I consider his "Dead Flowers" studio version with Axl as an official GNR B-side.

DJ Ashba is a fucking retard, and I don't like the guy, but he played the old songs better than Finch, and "Mi Amor" and "Ballad of Death" are perfectly cromulent tunes, and again, with any kind of Axl vocals, would have been decent GNR songs.

Robert Finch was without a doubt the worst lvie guitarist I ever witnessed in GNR, at least on the non-CD songs.  He intentionally butchered and bent all the notes to hell, was out of tune, and looked like he had fucking downs.   (He was awesome when I saw him in NIN though.)

Bumblefuck also sucked ass.....that's not an unpopular opinion....but if he truly was the one responsible for getting Fat Axl to sing Estranged again?  Then I owe him a coke.

From the nuGuns era to the present, the hardest worker guy on stage, every single night, is The Nose.  The man is up there selling it like a hooker....he never stops or takes breaks.  He's 100% pro and he deserves recognition for his work ethic.  If you ever catch another GNR show, watch him for a while; he's awesome.

And finally....I'd love to see Izzy come back and do some songs with the original AFD 5 at least ONCE.....but he wasn't "the essential" missing link of GNR like his mythology has grown to become.  If he's so great, how come his solo stuff is dogshit?

We're basically in almost total agreement here. I actually think a good chunk of Gilby's album could've made at least the BASIS for really cool GN'R songs.
Cure Me or Kill Me, Dead Flowers, Black, Tijuana Jail, Skin & Bones. Take those, take Back & Forth Again, Soma City Ward, Good To Be Alive by Snakepit. Take two Duff songs from his first solo record. You have a pretty good GN'R record right here. Gilby said he presented all his songs for Axl for GN'R, and Axl wasn't into any of them.

Only area I disagree is I think Bumblefoot had the potential to at least write INTERESTING material with Axl. 

My problem with Fortus is....I know he's a great guitarist cause of his non GN'R work, he can write riffs, but he hasn't done a single thing in the studio for Guns. 

I gotta disagree with you on Izzy. It's like saying "Well, Lennon's stuff was meh, and Paul's was meh, so were either of them integral" or "Mick and Keith's solo shit is very average, so why are they important." Izzy was great for giving foundations of ideas for Axl and Slash to work with.

Like, George Lucas as a screenwriter and director is pretty bad, but he's AMAZING at ideas, worldbuilding, and stories. You put George Lucas together with someone who can take that amazing gem of an idea or story and make it into a great movie, you have magic. It's the same thing with Izzy and GN'R, if you think of that way. Like, without Lucas, the new SW films have no heart, nothing truly original, nothing exciting, epic or interesting. Are they better made films? Yeah. But without that HEART, they suck as such. Without Izzy there to give them germs of amazing ideas to work off of, we see the results in Axl and Slash's solo output.

Well, a lot of my favorite GNR tunes were without Izzy, so I'm aware that puts me in the unpopular opinion camp!

And like I said...ever since he turned down the reunion, there's been this very vocal cult of Izzy on the two or three remaining active GNR forums.  Eh.  Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

I consider Breakdown to be the absolute worst song recorded by the classic band(i dont consider My world and Dont cry alt as songs).I just hate everything about it,especially the drums AWFUL,the sound effects are the worst on the albums,Axl speaking over Slashs solo---fuck off.

I just dont get why this song is so loved by so many fans .:mellow: