Sorum on Axl: an "asshole" behind the scenes, but a "sacred monster" on stage

r5PXrtil_o.jpeg

Sorum left in 1997, after a studio session. At the time, Guns N 'Roses was beginning to prepare what would become the album "Chinese Democracy", released only in 2008. Apparently, guitarist Slash was already out, but Sorum and bassist Duff McKagan were still in formation. .

The role of rhythm guitarist was exercised by Paul Tobias, childhood friend of vocalist Axl Rose. In the studio session, Tobias arrived on the scene criticizing Slash's participation on David Letterman's TV show.

Sorum immediately reacted negatively to the criticism made by his colleague. As pointed out by "Uol", the drummer "told Paul to shut up hinted that he didn't know how to play 'Sweet Child O'Mine'". Axl Rose witnessed what happened, did not approve and was left to Matt, who was fired on the spot.

The report points out that Matt Sorum expresses "mixed feelings" about Axl Rose in his book, as the singer is defined by him as an "asshole" behind the scenes, but a "sacred monster" on stage.

During the interview with the website, Sorum says that Rose could even delay two hours to start a show, but when it started, it was worth it.

"Looking back, I wouldn't want anything to be any different. His posture was the fuel of rock'n'roll. He was two hours late, there were backstage problems. But when he went up on stage, and you can see in the videos, my God, he kept the devil in his body, he stole the show ", he said.

In another moment of the conversation, transcribed by Whiplash.Net, Matt Sorum points out that Axl Rose was the only sober guy to deal with the chaotic scenario of Guns N 'Roses. Meanwhile, the drummer himself was among those who gave in to alcohol and drugs amid the pressure that existed in the band.

The infamous “Off-Topic Extras”

http://www.uol.com.br/splash/noticias/2020/10/22/drogas-in-rio-e-reuniao-frustrada-5-historias-insanas-da-bio-de-matt-sorum.htm

Edited by auad

No one is going to debate that Axl in his prime was an amazing front man. One of the greatest of all time. 

It's a shame that so much of that was wasted from 1994-2005. By the time GNR returned to being a full time act in 2006, Axl was out of his prime. He was still exceptional compared to most other mainstream rock front men before he got bloated, but it's not the same as the guy in the late 80's and early 90's who'd sprint on stage. He was a beast. 

Every Guns N' Roses fan should watch the Canadian Rock-mockumentary, Hard Core Logo. It deals with themes that I think if you dig deep are relevant to the "re-grouping" and the average 50-60 year old modern day Guns N' Roses fan. There is a paradox with the reunion tour, where fans are paying to try to capture something that can never come back. Sometimes, when things are gone, no matter how hard you try to fix things, or imagine otherwise, they are gone forever. 

Edited by gunsntortillas
7 minutes ago, Auck said:

For me the downturn of Axl began around 2012. I saw guns in 06 and 10 and they were cracking shows with full rasp. Then the Mickey arrived in 2012 and it’s been downhill ever since. Last good Axl show i saw was with Ac/Dc in 2016

I lost interest in Axl in 2008. Album sucked and he simply lost the last chance for a 'cool' reunion. 

On 10/22/2020 at 2:42 PM, Auck said:

For me the downturn of Axl began around 2012. I saw guns in 06 and 10 and they were cracking shows with full rasp. Then the Mickey arrived in 2012 and it’s been downhill ever since. Last good Axl show i saw was with Ac/Dc in 2016

He was a really good front man in the CD era, but if you go back and watch him in his prime in AFD and UYI, it's like night and day. I'm not talking about vocals, just the overall package of putting on a great show. He was never at that level in 05 and beyond when he returned full time, but that's not an insult. People don't understand the kind of shape someone has to be in to put on shows like he did in the Illusion era. He was good enough in his prime that someone can talk about him with the greatest front men of all time, so that's a high ceiling. It's not a surprise he slowed down in his 40s. What is a surprise is the train wreck he has become in his 50s. 

I think the heel turn for Axl came at the Rio (or whatever concert it was)  where he came out in that goofy yellow rain coat. He was never really fat before then. That's when he slowly devolved into a parody of himself. I'm so glad I got to see him live before that happened. Such a shame that people are willing to pay for the current incarnation of the band when Axl clearly doesn't respect the fans enough to do cardio. 

Edited by gunsntortillas

Serum would be singing a different tune if the big three would have included him on the NITL trek. You can tell he's more than slightly niffed that he has not been chosen to replace Frank full time. Yes I do think Axl has shown loyalty to Frank but it does make me think if a better drummer could give the current lineup a better overall sound.

On 10/22/2020 at 11:47 AM, gunsntortillas said:

. There is a paradox with the reunion tour, where fans are paying to try to capture something that can never come back. Sometimes, when things are gone, no matter how hard you try to fix things, or imagine otherwise, they are gone forever. 

Kinda like heroin

14 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

Serum would be singing a different tune if the big three would have included him on the NITL trek. You can tell he's more than slightly niffed that he has not been chosen to replace Frank full time. Yes I do think Axl has shown loyalty to Frank but it does make me think if a better drummer could give the current lineup a better overall sound.

It would really depend on how well the drummer could sing the lead vocals. 

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, auad said:

The song is just ok, but Matt’s drumming is really cool and solid.

Also of note; Sammy Hagar is 73, not morbidly obese, and doesn't sound like a cartoon character. Feelings on him aside - the guy is one of the most well preserved singers in rock music. He doesn't look or sound like complete shit like 90% of the rest of em. 

On 10/22/2020 at 12:12 PM, MacDaddyRose said:

Do you really need to tell even the most casual of Guns/Rock music fans over the past 40 years that Axl Rose is an asshole? I thought that was pretty well documented. 

yeah anyone I ever talk to about guns n roses who is a fan says, oh I love their music but Axl is a dick/asshole and I'm not a huge fan of him. 

On 10/25/2020 at 7:36 AM, Frank Drebin said:

Lets be real we all know if Brain wanted back in Axl would take him back.   Axl probably likes Frank because he pays him pennies vs what someone like Sorum or even brain would get.  

1 minute ago, dave-gnfnr2k said:

Lets be real we all know if Brain wanted back in Axl would take him back.   Axl probably likes Frank because he pays him pennies vs what someone like Sorum or even brain would get.  

I don't think he'd take Brain back. He seems to be quite content paying Frank league minimum.