Guns N' Roses Greatest Hits: the most dangerous vinyl in the world?

Originally released in 2004, Guns N’ RosesGreatest Hits was a brazen attempt to top up the coffers drained by Axl Rose’s mad opus Chinese Democracy, still three years away from completion. And it worked. 

Greatest Hits sold by the truckload, and reminded people that GN’R used to be more than just one man’s insanely expensive vanity project.

Optimists might view this vinyl reissue as a financial bump for the new album the reunited GN’R may or may not currently be working on. There’s certainly enough bait here to snag even mildly obsessive fans: gold and red splatter discs, updated artwork, and the addition of 1986’s Shadow Of Your Love, formerly a lost treasure until it was properly exhumed for the Locked And Loaded box set a couple of years ago. But in other respects it feels like a missed opportunity to properly update the album.

If the current, semi-classic line-up can incorporate songs from Chinese Democracy into their live set, then surely there’s space here for a song or two from that flawed behemoth: the title track or the bat-shit-brilliant Madagascar. 

It’s impossible to argue with what’s already here, but you can’t help wishing there was more. Much like Guns N’ Roses’ entire career.

http://www.loudersound.com/reviews/guns-n-roses-greatest-hits-the-most-dangerous-vinyl-in-the-world

81dvEg%2BLMIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The long strange history of GNR milking the Hollywood Rose song Shadow of Your Love

1987 fake live version recorded for LLAS released as a b-side on the Its So Easy 12" single 

1988 same version released on the Live From the Jungle EP in Japan

1991 studio demo released as the b-side to the Live and Let Die single

2004 Hollywood Rose version released on The Roots of Guns N Roses album

2006 added to the 2 disc "Best of" album that never made it past promo copies

2018 re-recorded demo included on AFD locked n loaded sets and released as a retail 7" single for Record Store Day.

2018 Hollywood Rose version released as a 7" single

2020 locked n loaded version added to vinyl re-release of the 2004 Greatest Hits album

CDVol2Great6.thumb.png.ac3b4ff798b8e918a0633f97d7461778.png

Have they not milked this song enough times

:rofl-lol:

1 minute ago, RedHook said:

The long strange history of GNR milking the Hollywood Rose song Shadow of Your Love

1987 fake live version recorded for LLAS released as a b-side on the Its So Easy 12" single 

1991 studio version released as the b-side to the Live and Let Die single

2006 the 2 disc "Best of" album that never made it past promo copies

2018 re-recorded demo included on AFD locked n loaded sets and released as a retail single for Record Store Day.

2020 same version added to vinyl re-release of the 2004 Greatest Hits album

but only the 2018 version is good, so who cares?

while shadow is an extreme case that's been released like 7 times at this point, i do like it when bands revisit a song that they didn't get right the first time. examples include "Help Me Rhonda" by The Beach Boys (originally a shit filler track on Today, re-released on the next album with a much better sound) and Lords of Summer by Metallica (originally released as a shit demo, rerecorded later and included as a bonus track on Hardwired with much better production)

Also, the studio version released as a b-side in 1991 was just a demo from the 80s.

I'm not re-opening the Pandora's box about the fact that it wasn't re-recorded in 2018 either.

I have the 2018 one on a RED vinyl 7 inch......red like Dazey's chapped anal lips after that time he decided to let a guy fuck him in the ass to determine if he was gay or not.

16 minutes ago, RedHook said:

1991 studio demo released as the b-side to the Live and Let Die single

2006 added to the 2 disc "Best of" album that never made it past promo copies

2018 re-recorded demo included on AFD locked n loaded sets and released as a retail single for Record Store Day.

2020 same version added to vinyl re-release of the 2004 Greatest Hits album

Shadow sounds fresh compared to SCOM imho

51 minutes ago, auad said:

My girlfriend has always made fun of my musical tastes ... she says I like "bad things" ... she has always had fun with my obsession with GnR (which has already decreased a lot), and she doesn't understand why I listen to the same songs again and again (this has also decreased) ... like any addiction, we can have a more adequate view as we move away ...

About the "release" of GH on vinyl? Shit!
About the thread? Shit!

About the whole fat band since TSI? Shit!

On 9/25/2020 at 9:57 AM, bacardimayne said:

as shit as the box set and greatest hits are, the tuned up shadow of your love is the best thing the band has done since releasing cd

That song is just a glorified B-side. It wasn’t considered good enough to even be in the album back then.