The Quentin Tarantino Thread

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, we have a film thread, but QT is such a unique director I wanted to start a dedicated thread to discuss his work.  He's really the last truly unique director in Hollywood.  His movies are comple

Watched True Romance,what a cool movie.So many famous actors ,some amazing scenes  and dialogue

Inglourious Basterds, I watched under quarantine. I thought it was great, but not as good as Django or Hollywood.   Django Unchained I saw in the theater and watched again recently during qu

Yup. Also, watch it again anyway. It's a remake of The Thing, one of Tarantino's favorite movies. It's actually the reason he wanted Kurt Russell. Makes for a more enjoyable viewing. I didn't dig it in first viewing, 7/10? But upon rewatching, the suspense and the soundtrack are fucming amazing. Bumps it to an 8 for me.

1 minute ago, bacardimayne said:

I'm 95% sure it has extra footage. It's 4 hours long and I distinctly remember noticing stuff that wasn't in the regular cut when I watched the extended one. I wouldn't recommend the extended cut for a first viewing though.

You may be correct, I haven't looked into it much, but I was under the impression that it was just narration and intermission. Anyway, the important thing is, the version on Netflix is not the 70mm super version. It's theatrical with "last time on" added in.

I still haven’t seen OUATIH and True Romance, but I’ve enjoyed the rest a lot.

There’s some dislike for KB, but I truly enjoyed the style... spaghetti western, comics, anime, chinese martial arts movies with all the cliches. Part 1 and 2 have a very different treatment in style and dynamics, so I think watching them back to back would make it feel kinda disjointed.

Pulp Fiction is king.

Watched Django again in the wee hours of the morning, when I couldn't sleep.

Didn't know if I'd start it and finish it later, or watch it one go.

I'd forgotten how goddamn fucking good it was.  It sucked me right in and I sat in awe through the 2 hour 45 minute run time rediscovering why this one is right up there with Pulp Fiction for me.

Calvin Candie and Stephen are such thoroughly despicable characters.  In a lot of ways, Stephen moreso than Candy.   Powerhouse performance by Jackson there.  Had me in stitches the way he'd mutter under his breath and freak out about Django.

Leo was great, but great in his own limited way, meaning lots of intense quiet stares and then loud angry shouting.  Hey, it's his thing.

Dr. King Schultz is a truly wonderful cinematic character for the ages.  A Jesus figure, really, sacrificing himself for Django and Broomhilda.

And that's why I think it's better than Jackie Brown or Kill Bill....what the Bride goes through on her journey feels like a comic book.  But here, by making the protagonists actual slaves, we see that they truly went through HELL, and for them to ride off into the sunset is a powerfully emotional happy ending.

I loved how outrageous the shooting was, where every shot unleashed several water balloons full of fake blood.  More movies need to do that.   Nothing takes me out of a movie faster than lameass CGI blood in a shooting scene.  You could tell this movie was shot practically, and it's worth the extra effort.  The scenery of the mountains was gorgeous.

Here's the awesome Japanese version of the poster.  Fucking badass.

2ui1jV.md.jpg

21 hours ago, Tremolo said:

I still haven’t seen OUATIH and True Romance, but I’ve enjoyed the rest a lot.

There’s some dislike for KB, but I truly enjoyed the style... spaghetti western, comics, anime, chinese martial arts movies with all the cliches. Part 1 and 2 have a very different treatment in style and dynamics, so I think watching them back to back would make it feel kinda disjointed.

Pulp Fiction is king.

True Romance is a classic. You have to see it. Once is like Tarantino caviar, it might sum up everything he does.  They are almost like before and after pictures.   I also had a beer and bottle of wine. 

Haven't gotten to Once Upon yet.......I'm saving it!

But I did watch all four chapters of the Netflix version of Hateful Eight tonight.

All in all.....not the ideal way to view the film.   The ONLY scene I didn't remember seeing was the half-plucked chicken.   If there was any other new footage integrated, I didn't recognize it.

I'd only seen it once, when it came out, so it was a lot of fun to watch again cause I had genuinely forgot who the "bad guy" was.  I'm sure I'll remember next time, so maybe I'll wait five years before I watch it again.

I'll for sure be watching my bluray version though.   Breaking it into four chapters was in no way necessary.

I'm still saving "Hollywood" for the perfect rainy day when I can watch it uninterrupted with no distractions....

So I re-watched Death Proof instead.

Even QT has admitted it's his worst movie.

Every scene without Stuntman Mike on screen is a chore to get through.  The characters are all very unlikable, and not in a "fun" way like his bad guy characters.

It has the most inane, seemingly non-stop blathering in any of his movies....maybe he felt the need to pad it out to be longer for some reason?

Rose McGowan is actually the most likeable character in the movie.

And probably the one thing Death Proof will go down in history for:  it's indisputably the all time champion of Tarantino's foot fetish on steroids.   He shows ZERO restraint.  There's even a fucking scene where Stuntman Mike LICKS Rosario Dawson's toes for god's sake!

Speaking of...she's a lovely girl with an incredible set of knockers, but years and years back I noticed her nostrils are uneven and misshapen.  Sadly, that's ruined her performances in lots of movies for me.  I just laser focus on those weird nostrils.  I like her Bettie Page cut in this movie.   Bet Miser did too.

You know who else has some fucked up uneven nostrils?  The chick in the first part of the movie that gives the lapdance.  So distracting.  The movie's called Death Proof but it may as well be called "Dirty Feet and Weird Nostrils."

2WAOZAXFQO6UTFTI267FFE7D7A.jpg

latest?cb=20180430183537

(Remember when Axl played at Rosario Dawson's birthday party like they were best friends or something?   God that was weird.)

It was included with my complete QT boxed set, so I gotta (re) watch them all.

But now that I've watched it, I don't think I'll feel the obligation to ever revisit it.  

It really pretty much sucks.

The second half significantly sucks more than the first half, and that first half wasn't exactly thrill-a-minute.

Stuntman Mike's car is cool though, at least the first one was with the skull and lightning bolts.  And when he looked directly at the camera and smiled before going off to murder, that was awesome.

On 9/29/2020 at 4:13 AM, EstrangedTWAT said:

I'm still saving "Hollywood" for the perfect rainy day when I can watch it uninterrupted with no distractions....

So I re-watched Death Proof instead.

Even QT has admitted it's his worst movie.

Every scene without Stuntman Mike on screen is a chore to get through.  The characters are all very unlikable, and not in a "fun" way like his bad guy characters.

It has the most inane, seemingly non-stop blathering in any of his movies....maybe he felt the need to pad it out to be longer for some reason?

Rose McGowan is actually the most likeable character in the movie.

And probably the one thing Death Proof will go down in history for:  it's indisputably the all time champion of Tarantino's foot fetish on steroids.   He shows ZERO restraint.  There's even a fucking scene where Stuntman Mike LICKS Rosario Dawson's toes for god's sake!

Speaking of...she's a lovely girl with an incredible set of knockers, but years and years back I noticed her nostrils are uneven and misshapen.  Sadly, that's ruined her performances in lots of movies for me.  I just laser focus on those weird nostrils.  I like her Bettie Page cut in this movie.   Bet Miser did too.

You know who else has some fucked up uneven nostrils?  The chick in the first part of the movie that gives the lapdance.  So distracting.  The movie's called Death Proof but it may as well be called "Dirty Feet and Weird Nostrils."

2WAOZAXFQO6UTFTI267FFE7D7A.jpg

latest?cb=20180430183537

(Remember when Axl played at Rosario Dawson's birthday party like they were best friends or something?   God that was weird.)

i thought the picture of this latin chick was aoc not rosario. i could never sit through the whole film, what a disappointing and pc ending