Cadis

GNFNRs Film Thread

On 4/16/2019 at 12:21 AM, wasted said:

Barry was sort of alright as a remake of Dexter. 

This is actually why I started rewatching Dexter in the first place lol, Barry reminded me a lot about Dexter.

Barry is very good though.

FYI: I just realized that TV Party is for Shows and this thread is for Movies, my mistake.

10 hours ago, GNR444 said:

This is actually why I started rewatching Dexter in the first place lol, Barry reminded me a lot about Dexter.

Barry is very good though.

FYI: I just realized that TV Party is for Shows and this thread is for Movies, my mistake.

Well, I’m going to say that most tv shows are remakes of movies anyway. Not literally. But Sopranos is Goodfellas the tv show etc. 

Dexter is pretty original. It does have that CSI thing but it also has this American Psycho vibe too. Silence of the Lamb had Hannibal Lecter helping to catch another serial killer?

Dexter is like Batman meets Silence of the Lambs/American Psycho. 

There’s also a parallel to Sopranos where Tony/Dexter aren’t really your typical good guy. Rooting for the bad guy seems to come from movies too. Like Natural Born Killers, the heroes are Mickey and Mallory. 

Pet Sematary  - Kind of ruins it when you already know the story. Story moved too fast to connect with the characters. Pacing issues. John Lithgow's been in too many comedies so it's hard to take him seriously.

Watership Down - Never saw it until now but heard a lot about. Gives a perspective on death.

The Avengers - End Game

I'm late to the Super Hero party. I would say it was okay. I think the previous one had a lot more going on though. i'm not really a comic guy but it was fun.

On 4/19/2019 at 9:49 AM, meatpuppet said:

John Lithgow's been in too many comedies so it's hard to take him seriously.

Then you need to watch Dexter Season 4! John Lithgow terrified me and I love 3rd rock lol

I recently re-watched there will be blood. I forgot what an amazing movie that is. One of the best.

6 hours ago, GNR444 said:

Then you need to watch Dexter Season 4! John Lithgow terrified me and I love 3rd rock lol

I recently re-watched there will be blood. I forgot what an amazing movie that is. One of the best.

He actually started out that way mostly, a multi-personality disorder guy, the villain from Cliffhanger. He'll forever be typecast as a silly guy I think by his voice, not his fault.

I haven't seen a movie recently that I can recall that moved me.

On 4/20/2019 at 12:49 AM, meatpuppet said:

Pet Sematary  - Kind of ruins it when you already know the story. Story moved too fast to connect with the characters. Pacing issues. John Lithgow's been in too many comedies so it's hard to take him seriously.

Watership Down - Never saw it until now but heard a lot about. Gives a perspective on death.

Watership Down is f’d up

why I was watching it when I was 6 I’m not sure. It’s like 1984 meets Saw. 

On 5/3/2019 at 7:19 AM, meatpuppet said:

The Avengers - End Game

I'm late to the Super Hero party. I would say it was okay. I think the previous one had a lot more going on though. i'm not really a comic guy but it was fun.

Say that 19 more times then understand that time is always wasted. 

On 5/3/2019 at 1:19 AM, meatpuppet said:

The Avengers - End Game

Yeah. Although SJW really ruined that one too. Remember in Iron Man 2 you hear Shoot To Thrill while Tony Stark jumps out of a plane and lands on stage with some Iron Man babes. That was so great. Today they would get crucified for these kinda things.     

8 hours ago, wasted said:

Watership Down is f’d up

why I was watching it when I was 6 I’m not sure. It’s like 1984 meets Saw. 

I think it gives a better point of view on the meaning of life than the bullshit people subsisted on in the 90s. It gives a more existential portrayal of the world. Life actually is cruel and you have to distrust others to survive.

Media directed at me in the 90s gave a Pollyannish view of the world as long as you followed the rules.

2 hours ago, meatpuppet said:

I think it gives a better point of view on the meaning of life than the bullshit people subsisted on in the 90s. It gives a more existential portrayal of the world. Life actually is cruel and you have to distrust others to survive.

Media directed at me in the 90s gave a Pollyannish view of the world as long as you followed the rules.

I think that might be true. You mean kids shows or schooling? That’s what school was like, keep quiet and follow the rules. But real life is be as loud as fuck and push all rules to breaking point. 

Watership Down kind of slipped under the radar because it was about rabbits maybe. There probably weren’t that many animations back then and it’s written by a real writer. I saw Lord of the Rings animation too, probably sucks now but the Black Riders with No Quarter playing was the coolest thing a 6 year old wasted had ever seen. 

Like someone said in the 70s psychedelia was mainstream culture, it was cool to fight the man etc. It depends where you live but under Clinton/Blair you probably were safe. Nukes up, hos down. But we kind of bankrupted ourselves to get rich so now we in hostile territory fighting each other instead of the inter dimensional aliens. 

Watership Down is going back to saying the corporations are going to build a motorway on your home and there’s a bloody civil war going on. You might get caught in some barb wire or mauled by a old rabbit. Fight the power. But we are tired, how about a coffee and make cheap things fun. Learn to play the recorder and live in ironic squalor. 

2 hours ago, meatpuppet said:

Well, we tend to focus on the gloom and doom, but in all honesty, the world IS a safer place if you follow the rules.

Other than things we can't control like natural disasters, chances of dying in terrorist attacks or airplane crashes are actually very minimal.  It's probably the safest time to be alive in human history.....if you live in the civilized world that is.  I can't say anything about the shithole countries.

I don’t think it’s as easy now as it was in the 90s. You can be whatever you want probably doesn’t apply now. Or maybe there’s just more of an awareness that your future is a call centre or amazon delivery guy unless you’re  smart. Welfare in the 90s was crazy though. I remember getting a place at college then going to job centre to tell them

I wasn’t working until September so can they give 50 a week. Then there were tons of easy temp jobs falling from the sky. Medical care was free, rents were cheap, education was free. Now there aren’t any jobs, welfares are cut, you pay for education, medical might be free though. Getting sick

is your only option. 

Endgame was a bit of a mess but it was a satisfying conclusion nonetheless. I feel bad for Hulk fans. Not sure how I feel about the Mouse seemingly looking primed to take James Cameron's box office record.

Infinity War was better.

Saw Cloverfield for the first time. Was okay. The 2nd movie was almost perfect though. I couldn't relate to the characters though. I remember the hype being kind of annoying at the time.

Was just thinking about this movie today at work.

"Tootski?"

I didn't get it the first time I watched it....I thought it was bloated and self-indulgent and had no point.  It gets better and better on every re-watch though.  Now I'd put it up there with some of Scorsese's best.

1 hour ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Was just thinking about this movie today at work.

"Tootski?"

I didn't get it the first time I watched it....I thought it was bloated and self-indulgent and had no point.  It gets better and better on every re-watch though.  Now I'd put it up there with some of Scorsese's best.

True, I’ve seen it 10-20 times now and it has the same thing as Departed where it’s entertaining but also makes some kind of moral point without being judgy or black and white. I kind of watch it for the comedy and truth. 

fuck "Detective Pikachu", fuck Deadpool, and fuck everything else Ryan Reynolds has done that isn't that one movie where he's buried alive by a terrorist

This trailer was disappointing .  But I love Guillermo Del Toro and I don't think he will disappoint

Edited by GNR444