GNFNRs Video Game Thread

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Goldeneye was so badass. Me and the boys played that game until sunrise in elementary school. 

Shut the fuck up miser.

when you're 5 kills deep in an espionage mission and stop to read some @sixes unmasked shitposts

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Manhattan said:

I miss Super Mario Strikers. 

Actually, I miss most sports and extreme sports games. SSX, that dirt bike one, Dave Mirra. The early 2000s were so much better than this Clown World.

Really wish there wasn't a monopoly on football games. If 2k owned the rights to college football and EA owned the rights to NFL, that would be one thing. Instead we have Madden. And it's awful. 

There needs to be a free market. 

17 minutes ago, Manhattan said:

I miss Super Mario Strikers. 

Actually, I miss most sports and extreme sports games. SSX, that dirt bike one, Dave Mirra. The early 2000s were so much better than this Clown World.

I have it on the Wii, though all my video game playing brethren have moved away, and in my experience, yelling at computer players isn't nearly as entertaining as yelling at friends in the same room.

These games are, in my mind, the most legendary games I ever played.

zelda ocarina of time: few games evoke the same feeling of sheer nostalgia and emotion as this game. This is one of those games, I distinctly remember getting on day 1. I was 17 years old, came back from school, and my mother had bought it during the day. Seeing the black and gold box, then playing the game.... it was pure magic during that day. This game is unmatched to this day. There is always something "off" with every zelda game that came after: stupid time mechanic (MM), kiddy look, few dungeons, too much water (WW), no magic meter and lame blue and red tunics (TP), stupid motion controls (SS), breakable weapons and no hookshot or any other cool items (BOTW). ocarina of time got everything right. It holds up today, and a HD release on the switch would be most welcome

metal gear solid 2: another game which I remember buying day 1, I even remember the weather it was that day, and all the feelings that surrounded it. The tanker level was, for the longest time, the most atmospheric level I ever played. Raging storm on a ship, then the calmness of the inside quarters, trolling the guards in the engine room. The game was a bit on the short side, with not many levels, but it was more about quality than quantity. There was a playable demo for the tanker level, which I played more than my other games.

grand theft auto 3: I remember seeing the screenshots and I just couldn't believe or understand how you had a whole city where you could go anywhere you wanted, in 3D. We had stuff like die hard trilogy on the PS1 where you could drive around a city, but this was on a whole different level. In my mind, the city really was life like and photo realistic. There were those "elvis is a zombie" newspapers everywhere on the ground and I remember thinking that was weird. I wanted this game so bad but it was sold out everywhere, I remember driving around at 17 pm, all the shops were about to close and I still didn't find the game.

metroid prime 1: years of anticipation, and it didn't disapoint. I vividly remember entering the planet for the first time, it was raining and you could look up the sky, and the raindrops falling on your visor. That one experience was worth the price of entrance. I replayed this game countless of times.

31 minutes ago, Manhattan said:

Too bad Twilight Princess was garbage. 

I played it again yesterday, and I discovered a secret area in hyrule castle for the first time, after 70 hours of playtime.

I frickin love the sword play. the grim / semi realistic tone. the items: chain ball / spinner / double hook shot => all pure awesomness

the world is vast, but still feels compact and it is very rewarding to search every corner. I still haven't found all heart pieces and I've searched everywhere.

The first few hours were an absolute bore, but they are long forgotten by this piont. the side characters aren't very memorable, but then that goes for every zelda game I think.

This and ocarina are my favorite versions of hyrule. BOTW felt, to me, too much like skyrim, with a zelda skin.

Not sure I love the portrait orientation.  I'm sure (or hoping) you can lay it flat.  Won't fit in my entertainment console if I have to sand it upright

Not sure I love the design of the box, mostly because my entertainment setup is very dark and this would stick out

At least the XSX will blend in with stereo and other entertainment equipment that are usually dark or black. It would be aesthetically consistent to everything else that resides under my TV (plus my tv/gaming room is dark as well). The PS5 would stick out like a sore thumb. 

I'm really picky when it comes to that kind of stuff.  I don't want anything visually distracting when I'm watching tv.  It's why I had a dark background behind the tv, dark entertainment unit, and dark sound components.  I won't even have pictures or anything hung near the tv.  A gaudy looking white box isn't going to fly with my setup.

Not sure why it will be difficult for the XSX to lay on its side.  It's been engineered for both orientations.  I did measure my entertainment unit and there's space for the XSX to sit upright.  It would be a deal breaker if I couldn't lay it on its side or it couldn't fit in my entertainment unit.  Fortunately neither are a factor.  

I’m sticking with my Xbox One X until the PS5 gets a redesign. I just can’t get over the design of the box and would not work whatsoever with the dark aesthetic of my tv/entertainment room.  Perhaps if Sony had opted for black I would jump in this early in the PS5’s life cycle; but it’s far too hideous a design to be highlighted in white and not be an eyesore on my dark entertainment console.  I honestly have no idea what Sony designers were think with the white fins. 

But aside from the PS5’s colour, it’s just a hideous design. The curves and bulbous nature makes little sense to me. I would be getting the digital version but I’m really hoping Sony offers a redesign at some point where the box itself isn’t meant to capture any attention. I want something that gets lost in my entertainment space; not a focal point. Microsoft has been on to something since the Xbox One X, but unfortunately the dimensions of the Series X are unlikely to work with my entertainment unit (which I really like and don’t see ever changing for a long while). 

If I was a 14 year old kid the PS5 might have impressed me. But as a 40 year, I want something that’s minimal and doesn’t scream “gamer” when guests are over. But maybe that’s just me. 

I didn't mean to sound condescending with my 14 year old remark, and for many the aesthetic of the box either doesn't matter one bit or one that fits into their lifestyle.

1 hour ago, AxlisOld said:

Seriously? I love Twilight Princess.

1 hour ago, action said:

This and ocarina are my favorite versions of hyrule. BOTW felt, to me, too much like skyrim, with a zelda skin.

I'll let you guys enjoy it. I found it tedious.

An Okami-ripoff without it's depth or charming visuals and without courage to reinvent Zelda.

I haven't played any Zelda since it but have seen a good amount of Skyward Sword looks infantile and weebish. BOTW looks incredible but I'm guessing not incisive enough for my tastes. I'd still buy it if I had a Switch. 

On 2/24/2021 at 9:47 AM, AxlisOld said:

Seriously? I love Twilight Princess.

The Wii's controllers were awful. Not everyone wants to LARP while gaming. Some of us want to crack a beer and sit on the couch. 

I did like Skyward Sword though. Twilight Princess was not for me. Didn't finish either of them.