Sign in to follow this  
auad

Stones Joined by Axl Rose on New Live DVD

1 hour ago, JordanRose said:

Stones 1 - Assad - Minus 5 (for that Fat YouTube footage own goals)

Queen should follow w the full Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert. Even the wholly fucked up Innuendo by Plant, let alone the pre-fat big three set + BR/WWRY w fat fuck on vocals was better than any song performed by the fatman since 2018. And I say that as a proud Queen fan

Seems like we get Mixed Emotions and Salt of the Earth in good quality

It was then revived 21 years later for three performances in Atlantic City during the 1989-1990 Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle Tour, where the Stones were joined onstage by Axl Rose and Izzy Stradlin of Guns N' Roses. Axl and Izzy were given their choice of songs, and when they chose this, the Stones had forgotten it, and had to listen to it to remember

On a quick search i've only found the Salt of the Earth video, Mixed Emotions was previously unreleased on video (although AUD sources existed)

4 hours ago, Jeff Isbell said:

Queen should follow w the full Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert. Even the wholly fucked up Innuendo by Plant, let alone the pre-fat big three set + BR/WWRY w fat fuck on vocals was better than any song performed by the fatman since 2018. And I say that as a proud Queen fan

I didn't know Plant did Innuendo! Gotta check that out. George Michael should have done it all. It's a musical crime that he didn't at least do a few shows with them. 

I remember seeing footage of the Stones on this tour and just thinking "Jesus, these guys are soooooo old."

Just watched the trailer.....they must be a good ten years younger than Fat Axl.

Crazy.

Father Time is a cunt.

22 hours ago, Donald Trump said:

I think that is Axl’s greatest performance.

It is.

I played Salt of the Earth for my wife last week, I told her it was live and we both agreed how incredible both guys sounded  

Axl was spot on. I also dont think he's ever sounded better

20 hours ago, Budd Dwyer said:

Seems like we get Mixed Emotions and Salt of the Earth in good quality

On a quick search i've only found the Salt of the Earth video, Mixed Emotions was previously unreleased on video (although AUD sources existed)

Wasn't there a rumour regarding this that Axl let Izzy choose the song because he knew how much of a fan Izzy was and also because Izzy was getting sick of the antics and this was sort of an olive branch to him?

Obviously didn't work out too well because Izzy smartened up and jumped ship at the right time... but I digress 

the fact that a third party release of a single song guest performance is the most exciting thing to come out for the last decade, is the perfect example of this bands current state. 

This was probably supposed to come out in ‘89 and Axl probably just got around to signing off on it in typical GNR fashion. 

21 hours ago, JordanRose said:

I didn't know Plant did Innuendo! Gotta check that out. George Michael should have done it all. It's a musical crime that he didn't at least do a few shows with them. 

It has been said that George aced Somebody To Love. While Freddie was in general inferior to Axl(not meant to insult him, I admire him and consider him to have had a much more professional approach), no-one could sing his songs better than him, yet cover singers own what the fat fuck Alex is now

40 minutes ago, Jeff Isbell said:

It has been said that George aced Somebody To Love. While Freddie was in general inferior to Axl(not meant to insult him, I admire him and consider him to have had a much more professional approach), no-one could sing his songs better than him, yet cover singers own what the fat fuck Alex is now

Oh yeah, he nailed it. He had the perfect voice, vibe, sensibility to at the very least do a small run of tribute shows for poor Queen fans and make some insane money with/for May and Taylor who had to wait a decade to play arenas again with Rogers. George could have done it without it being cheap-cover shit because he had a strong enough identity and presence. But then the shit that poor guy had to go through in the early-mid 90s, it's a wonder we get Older out of him. Some of the best, deep pop songs ever imo. 

9 hours ago, JordanRose said:

Oh yeah, he nailed it. He had the perfect voice, vibe, sensibility to at the very least do a small run of tribute shows for poor Queen fans and make some insane money with/for May and Taylor who had to wait a decade to play arenas again with Rogers. George could have done it without it being cheap-cover shit because he had a strong enough identity and presence. But then the shit that poor guy had to go through in the early-mid 90s, it's a wonder we get Older out of him. Some of the best, deep pop songs ever imo. 

Fat Axl was fine w/ WWRY, BR rock section and even Tie Your Mother Down. Sadly, I can see him bringing a Queen cover in the set next year for Freddie’s 75th bday and for example wheezing through In The Lap Of The Gods...Revisited or I Want It All. He sounds almost worse than Freddie in early 1979 or parts of 1984

3 hours ago, Jeff Isbell said:

Fat Axl was fine w/ WWRY, BR rock section and even Tie Your Mother Down. Sadly, I can see him bringing a Queen cover in the set next year for Freddie’s 75th bday and for example wheezing through In The Lap Of The Gods...Revisited or I Want It All. He sounds almost worse than Freddie in early 1979 or parts of 1984

I don't know much about Freddie's live voice other than the official live stuff. What was the deal in '79/'84? Did he have a vocal comeback in '85/'86? I always thought his best, highest singing was on Innuendo. 

1 hour ago, JordanRose said:

I don't know much about Freddie's live voice other than the official live stuff. What was the deal in '79/'84? Did he have a vocal comeback in '85/'86? I always thought his best, highest singing was on Innuendo. 

Freddie was completely shot and done in late 1978-early 1979, he could barely even speak-sing and was barking and squealing through every song. Late 1979 was excellent. By mid-1980, his tone was deeper and more powerful, this could be considered a new era for his voice. 1984 was hit-and miss though. 1981 was his best year live in my opinion, although his voice shape at random shows was varying since 1975 w/ 1978-1979, 1982 and 1984 being the worst offenders. Newcastle/Hammersmith 1979, various 1981 shows, Edinburgh 1982, Sun City 1984 and Leiden 1986 bootlegs are worth a listen, as Freddie sounded excellent there