Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GnRLiars

Ghost towns

Recommended Posts

We have what they call Ghost Estates here in Ireland. 

 

Basically anything from 20 to 80 houses built together in an area during the property boom up to 2008 and then abandoned or left half built after the economic crash. 

 

They are all over the country. The worst thing is that some have people living in them. Couple of houses occupied in a half finished area with no services or proper infrastructure. 

 

Is it the same thing you are talking about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Facekicker said:

We have what they call Ghost Estates here in Ireland. 

 

Basically anything from 20 to 80 houses built together in an area during the property boom up to 2008 and then abandoned or left half built after the economic crash. 

 

They are all over the country. The worst thing is that some have people living in them. Couple of houses occupied in a half finished area with no services or proper infrastructure. 

 

Is it the same thing you are talking about?

Kinda sorta. 

 

Same idea. 

But most of the ones here are from decades ago, during some kind of boom. Oil, coal, mining, forestry. Even some farms. 

They're abandoned towns where everyone packed up and left once resources and work ran out. 

It's pretty neat. 

I don't think there's anyone living in what's left of the houses. 

It's just cool to read up on the history and struggles people had. 

There's also a few from WW2, camps and such

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's funny you mention Ireland. 

Last time I was there in 2012 we saw some abandoned stuff. Talked to locals and they said the same thing you said. 

Nobody had any money anymore. 

Just packed up and left

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

image.jpeg.71199a1078a3ebb4151843bfec7f5499.jpeg

The island is best known for two murders that occurred there. On 6 March 1873, two Norwegian women, Karen and Anethe Christensen, were strangled and one struck with a hatchet. A third woman, Maren Hontvet, escaped and hid on the island at a place now called "Maren's Rock". Maren, the only witness to the murders, identified a German-born fisherman, Louis Wagner, as the killer. Wagner was tried, convicted and, although he maintained his innocence, hanged. Despite an airtight case, so vehement was his denial that people long believed he was innocent.[1] The story of the murders was told by Celia Thaxter in her account A Memorable Murder[2] and by Anita Shreve in her novel The Weight of Water, later made into a film of the same name, starring Sean Penn and Elizabeth Hurley. The most recent book is Mystery on the Isles of Shoals: Closing the Case on the Smuttynose Ax Murders of 1873, by J. Dennis Robinson.

Wagner was hunted down after fleeing the island. He was quickly arrested in Boston and extradited back to Portsmouth. Ten thousand angry townspeople waited for him at the train station and shadowed him all the way to the police station, chanting, "Lynch him, kill him."[3]

Wagner was then brought to Alfred, Maine, for trial. After he was condemned to death, he broke out of jail and escaped to New Hampshire. He was recaptured and brought to the gallows at Thomaston State Prison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, bran said:

 

image.jpeg.71199a1078a3ebb4151843bfec7f5499.jpeg

The island is best known for two murders that occurred there. On 6 March 1873, two Norwegian women, Karen and Anethe Christensen, were strangled and one struck with a hatchet. A third woman, Maren Hontvet, escaped and hid on the island at a place now called "Maren's Rock". Maren, the only witness to the murders, identified a German-born fisherman, Louis Wagner, as the killer. Wagner was tried, convicted and, although he maintained his innocence, hanged. Despite an airtight case, so vehement was his denial that people long believed he was innocent.[1] The story of the murders was told by Celia Thaxter in her account A Memorable Murder[2] and by Anita Shreve in her novel The Weight of Water, later made into a film of the same name, starring Sean Penn and Elizabeth Hurley. The most recent book is Mystery on the Isles of Shoals: Closing the Case on the Smuttynose Ax Murders of 1873, by J. Dennis Robinson.

Wagner was hunted down after fleeing the island. He was quickly arrested in Boston and extradited back to Portsmouth. Ten thousand angry townspeople waited for him at the train station and shadowed him all the way to the police station, chanting, "Lynch him, kill him."[3]

Wagner was then brought to Alfred, Maine, for trial. After he was condemned to death, he broke out of jail and escaped to New Hampshire. He was recaptured and brought to the gallows at Thomaston State Prison.

What an interesting story... 

im gonna look into it more. 

Thanks man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weirdest one I've ever heard of is Centralia Pennsylvania. It used to be an average sized town but then a coal mine fire got started underneath it some time in the eighties so the government offered some kind of buyout and most of the residents relocated. It's not entirely deserted since only five or so people still live there, but it's pretty dang close. It's apparently possible to see smoke rising from the ground there. No idea why they'd want to stay, but hey man, to each their own.

 

Also, I may be mixing it up with something else, but the town was apparently the inspiration for Silent Hill.

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Nulla Lex Ink. said:

Weirdest one I've ever heard of is Centralia Pennsylvania. It used to be an average sized town but then a coal mine fire got started underneath it some time in the eighties so the government offered some kind of buyout and most of the residents relocated. It's not entirely deserted since only five or so people still live there, but it's pretty dang close. It's apparently possible to see smoke rising from the ground there. No idea why they'd want to stay, but hey man, to each their own.

 

Also, I may be mixing it up with something else, but the town was apparently the inspiration for Silent Hill.

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania

Yep, it was an inspiration for Silent Hill which is awesome. I saw a documentary that said they could run hoses 24/7 for 100 years and still not put out the fire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

alberta

uruguay

you literally proved my point. There's not a single soul in those alberta pics, regardless of the "beauty" you tried to show off

 

RI2lRTw.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, magisme said:

How do I move to here?

Good luck with Canada's super racist, intolerant immigration system. You need to have a SKILL, they're LITERALLY turning people away at the borders. I'm shaking from just having to type that. Literally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AxlisOld said:

Good luck with Canada's super racist, intolerant immigration system. You need to have a SKILL, they're LITERALLY turning people away at the borders. I'm shaking from just having to type that. Literally.

Our immigrants are very skilled swimmers and climbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

alberta

mountains-canada-alberta-lakes-banff-natDowntown-Banff.jpg

beautiful-prairie-landscape-alberta-cana

 

uruguay

poverty_Uruguay.jpg

thumbnail.php?im=SP1036208.jpg&type=U

Chueca-gay-1024x700.jpg

 

Everyone who goes to Banff takes that picture in the middle of Banff Ave... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, bran said:

Yep, it was an inspiration for Silent Hill which is awesome. I saw a documentary that said they could run hoses 24/7 for 100 years and still not put out the fire. 

What a crazy story.. 

 

thanks guys. 

I will read up in this one too.. 

 

its so interesting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AxlisOld said:

Good luck with Canada's super racist, intolerant immigration system. You need to have a SKILL, they're LITERALLY turning people away at the borders. I'm shaking from just having to type that. Literally.

What?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...