Sign in to follow this  
John Bonham

Which tour leg was the best of the '10s?

10 hours ago, MacDaddyRose said:

There was really no coming back from Rio 11 or Bridge School. Someone probably told him after those debacles to get slash back or quit. Even though he still sucks, Slash adds instant credibility to the brand. Nobody outside of us with functioning hearing seems to care that he sucks, all because it's Slash and Axl. The money speaks for itself. 

He was legitimately sounding like Axl Rose in 2006-2010 and nobody gave not one morsel of a fuck because you had no Slash. 

I went to some shows in 2006, and the arenas were 1/3 empty, while Ax and his ponytail wig sounded phenomenal. 

This is hard to dispute.

Axl was in legitimately the best shape of his life in 2006.  I don't know if dude was actually working out, but it sort of looked it.  And it's far and away the best he has sounded on any tour since 1993.

But you are right.  Did anyone care?  You could argue part of that was not having an album out, and that played a role.  But that band just did not inspire.

Here is something I have long thought.  Axl, for all his faults, is a star.  He is not just a guy.  He has "it".  And he needs a lead guitarist that also has "it".  While Buckethead was a super bizarre fit for the this band, he also has "it".  He can obviously play his ass off, and he is not just a guy.  Robin Finck - just a guy.  DJ Ashba - just a guy. 

It just didn't work.

19 hours ago, maynard said:

Rio 2011 IMO

Yeah and you know what's really sad at this point? I recently went back and watched that first Estranged having not watched any Yellow Raincoat Disaster since that night and fuck me if Ginger Nuts wasn't a shitload better than any time on Fat In This Lifetime Estranged. I'd even say Thal probably did better than Slash has recently.

2010 for sure. Everything after that has been a slippery slope downhill in every sense.

I don’t count that AC/DC crap. Axl sounded amazing, but the music couldn’t be any more boring and derivative.

On 12/5/2019 at 5:59 AM, Doctor Dom said:

This is the honest truth, from that first concert with Ashba (Taipei?) and on until Slash and Duff came back I found no enjoyment in Axel's GNR other than taking the rightfully deserved piss out of it.

I bought tickets to the 06/07 tour and still sort of bought into the idea of a nugnr but once Ashba was in GUNS N ROSES I was out.

Fuck that shit.

I need not add anything to this.  A 5 Salami post.

Canada 2010 was fantastic

long, varying setlists with surprises and axl at the top of his game

very fortunate to have seen them in this brief window of peak touring

everything since, bar ac/dc, has been varying degrees of shit

30 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Canada 2010 was fantastic

long, varying setlists with surprises and axl at the top of his game

very fortunate to have seen them in this brief window of peak touring

Yea I still think the Canada 2010 tour was the peak of NuGNR as a touring band. Axl was incredible and Dj was still passable, they really didn't seem to follow a setlist and they played about 10 CD songs each night. I've enjoyed almost every other GNR show I've seen but nothing has topped the Calgary 2010 show.

39 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea I still think the Canada 2010 tour was the peak of NuGNR as a touring band. Axl was incredible and Dj was still passable, they really didn't seem to follow a setlist and they played about 10 CD songs each night. I've enjoyed almost every other GNR show I've seen but nothing has topped the Calgary 2010 show.

ironically, it's also where the greatest fat photo of axl rose was taken

100113_gnr7_bm.jpg

this tour had everything

5 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

ironically, it's also where the greatest fat photo of axl rose was taken

100113_gnr7_bm.jpg

this tour had everything

Yup, that's from Winnipeg, madison's Slash t-shirt gig