Sign in to follow this  
John Bonham

Y2K

December '99 was 20 years ago!

Where were you, what were you doing, what are your memories of any and all things December '99-related?

I was 26 years old, no kids, didn't own a home, and was still working as a general contractor. 

I was full-on in the middle of my "opiates" period.

I thought the shit was gonna go down pretty soon, and I wasn't too far off... 9/11 was 21 months away.

I was a freshman in college. I took LSD for the first and last time and I had an Asian stalker who scared the shit out of me.

14 minutes ago, magisme said:

I was a freshman in college. I took LSD for the first and last time and I had an Asian stalker who scared the shit out of me.

:omg:

I was an angsty sophomore in high school. Times weren't great but I wish I had the forethought to make the most of it instead of sulking and rebelling. I was mistakenly really into basketball.

I got tired of newsreports on Y2K. Later on it got voted one of the most hated words. News hasn't gotten much better.

I wouldn't return to that era. Save a few movies it was  a pretty bland time.

17. I remember going to see a "futuristic laser show" at midnight in the city and it was the greatest pile of shit I've ever witnessed in my life. It was cold, windy and at midnight started pissing rain. 

I half hoped a plane would fall out of the sky just so there'd be something interesting to see. 

Probably the greatest damp squib of my life. Talk about a letdown. 

I remember my Dad loudly proclaiming - "What a load of bollocks" at the laser show. 

Went home, put on Jools Holland I think and had a few cans with my Dad. 

Ever since I've had an intense dislike of New Year's Eve and without fail it turns out to be a shitshow every fuckin year. 

I was doing this  chick named roanne. She was 21 and I was 19. Barebacked her like 50 times. Once I was done my buddy started seeing her. He fucked her once and she got pregnant. Me and her are still friends, her kid is now 19 and looks just like her. I still laugh he got stuck with that shit. 

Y2k haha, nothing happened lol. All that hype

24 minutes ago, Repo Man said:

I was doing this  chick named roanne. She was 21 and I was 19. Barebacked her like 50 times. Once I was done my buddy started seeing her. He fucked her once and she got pregnant. Me and her are still friends, her kid is now 19 and looks just like her. I still laugh he got stuck with that shit. 

:rofl-lol:

I was bunkered down underground in a university radio station while on a healthy dose of magic mushrooms. There was a random dude skateboarding in the hallway and a homeless guy sleeping in the backroom. We were hoping to broadcast the end of the world but we were mostly taking requests over the phone. Some guy named Johnny Choochoo (pronounced chew-chew, like the train) who was also on magic mushrooms kept phoning in and requesting Uncle Meat by Frank Zappa. 

5 hours ago, Repo Man said:

The kid is 19? You know what would be really funny...

1 hour ago, Facekicker said:

If you barebacked the daughter and knocked her up? Your fuck up became my fuck up and now we are all fucked up together at Thanksgiving dinner. 

I was 9. I didn’t even know about the world ending theory until years later. It was meh, I got to stay up late and run around my house like an asshole or something.

I knew it wasn't gonna be the end of the world, but the media was playing up the fear and paranoia almost as much as they're doing it with Trump now.

It was my senior year of college.  I remember seeing coverage from around the world as the clock turned midnight, starting with that little island right on the international date line that has like five people on it.  It was unusual cause before then, nobody gave a shit about seeing the time change in other countries.

I was just superstitious enough to think something COULD happen so I didn't want to be in a big crowd.  I went out to an Italian place with my girlfriend and had calzones, and then went back to her parents' place cause they were gonna be out at a party.  So we basically banged 3 or 4 times waiting til midnight, and then I remember watching the usual lameass New Year's Eve show on NBC or whatever, and it turned midnight and that was it.  Nothing happened.   I was a little disappointed.  I really thought the power was gonna go out at least.

Oh well.  At least I got laid a lot that day.

I'm afraid to discuss Y2K because it makes me look boomer but yeah I'm old.

I remember some silos in Russia and US were talking about last minute upgrades. I was too preoccupied in my own little world to care. I guess it was a big deal kinda.

5 hours ago, Facekicker said:

It's crossed my mind

I was in 5th grade. Male-only sports junior high was opened that year in my school's building. My girlfriends and I spent A LOT of time watching them practice football after classes. Fun times.

i was living with a buddy in downtown Toronto. I had a job as a courier at UPS.

I was in my early 20ies.

UPS was a great job for a young single guy.

I got alot of tail.

On NYE for Y2K, i was actually working a second bartending job. I fooled around with one of the waitresses after the bar closed.

fun fuckin times.

I was 12. There's nothing interesting I can share with you from that time :lol:

Kind of a loner at school, playing a lot of PS1, I was a happy kid but the best was surely yet to come. In 2001 I met my best friend and to this I have the greatest people I've ever known around me. Thank God I never had to hang out with my school colleagues ever again. They all sucked.