Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
EstrangedTWAT

Do you own Chinese Democracy on vinyl?

Do you own Chinese Democracy on vinyl?  

29 members have voted

  1. 1. Well......do you?

    • Yes. I do own Chinese Democracy on vinyl.
      9
    • Nigga, please....
      20


Recommended Posts

It's 3AM here in Japan and I just took out my trash, and I have no idea why, but that reminded me that I own a copy of Chinese Democracy on vinyl.

 

I forget how long after the release it was, but after a certain amount of months Best Buy blew them all out at $1.99.   I just couldn't resist at that price.  It's still sealed, in a closet in my parents' house along with all my other records.  (I have Live Era on vinyl too, which is probably my most valuable record, but sadly it's not sealed.)

 

So this is just a dumb, straightforward, mygina poll.   I'm just curious how many of us actually own this thing on record.  Wonder what the original retail was.....I know some freaks were buying like 12 copies on launch day.  Still never hit number one on the charts, even with all 1500 GNR forum members around the world buying multiple copies.  Go figure.  But when Best Buy was basically giving them away?  Why not!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never bought it. No reason to.

 

I rarely listen to vinyl and when I do, only a small handful of classic albums get played.

 

CD is not in that category.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

It's 3AM here in Japan and I just took out my trash, and I have no idea why, but that reminded me that I own a copy of Chinese Democracy on vinyl.

 

I forget how long after the release it was, but after a certain amount of months Best Buy blew them all out at $1.99.   I just couldn't resist at that price.  It's still sealed, in a closet in my parents' house along with all my other records.  (I have Live Era on vinyl too, which is probably my most valuable record, but sadly it's not sealed.)

 

So this is just a dumb, straightforward, mygina poll.   I'm just curious how many of us actually own this thing on record.  Wonder what the original retail was.....I know some freaks were buying like 12 copies on launch day.  Still never hit number one on the charts, even with all 1500 GNR forum members around the world buying multiple copies.  Go figure.  But when Best Buy was basically giving them away?  Why not!

I have it in vinyl...

Not too sure if it's a true vinyl recording or if it was just digitally transferred to vinyl.

Knowing Axl and his love of Pro tools, I imagine it's digitally transferred which negates the analog quality of vinyl.

But I did get it. It was roughly 20 bucks.

 

You have a Live Era vinyl copy? 

I'll buy it from you if you are willing to sell. 

What kind of condition is it?

It's pretty valuable in almost any condition.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GnRLiars said:

You have a Live Era vinyl copy? 

I'll buy it from you if you are willing to sell. 

What kind of condition is it?

It's pretty valuable in almost any condition.  

 

I appreciate the offer but I wanna hang on to it.

 

I think it's in decent condition too, since I was pretty careful with it.  I actually listened to it straight through once, which took forever cause there's what....8 sides?

 

I risked life and limb to get it too, cause the day it was released, there was a bad snowstorm in Ohio, but I just HAD to have it, and there was only one record shop anywhere near me that had it at the time.

 

I'll be pissed if they reissue it, cause that'll render it worthless.   I've had other stuff that was "rare" and sought after and as soon as it's reissued, the value of the original is way less.  I'm sure there's still some collectors that value first pressings, the way comic book collectors value first prints, and in my opinion they SHOULD.  But then other people think, "Oh this new release is remastered or something so it's obviously better."   I'd rather have the rare, original

 

My brother has had Pink Floyd's Pulse on vinyl since it came out when we in high school, about 25 years ago.  That thing was worth about $400 and then they reissued it last year.  Now you'd be lucky to get $100 for it.

 

I have the original Appetite, rape cover, but it's kind of beat to shit.  But I don't mind, cause I got it at a time when it wasn't reissued and bootlegged all to hell, so I know it's the real thing.  I'd never buy that or "Live Like a Suicide" now cause there's just way too many fakes out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

 

I appreciate the offer but I wanna hang on to it.

 

I think it's in decent condition too, since I was pretty careful with it.  I actually listened to it straight through once, which took forever cause there's what....8 sides?

 

I risked life and limb to get it too, cause the day it was released, there was a bad snowstorm in Ohio, but I just HAD to have it, and there was only one record shop anywhere near me that had it at the time.

 

I'll be pissed if they reissue it, cause that'll render it worthless.   I've had other stuff that was "rare" and sought after and as soon as it's reissued, the value of the original is way less.  I'm sure there's still some collectors that value first pressings, the way comic book collectors value first prints, and in my opinion they SHOULD.  But then other people think, "Oh this new release is remastered or something so it's obviously better."   I'd rather have the rare, original

 

My brother has had Pink Floyd's Pulse on vinyl since it came out when we in high school, about 25 years ago.  That thing was worth about $400 and then they reissued it last year.  Now you'd be lucky to get $100 for it.

 

I have the original Appetite, rape cover, but it's kind of beat to shit.  But I don't mind, cause I got it at a time when it wasn't reissued and bootlegged all to hell, so I know it's the real thing.  I'd never buy that or "Live Like a Suicide" now cause there's just way too many fakes out there.

That’s cool.

i actually have a vinyl copy of Live Era.

its in decent shape also. I just want another, I’m always looking. 

 

As as for the reissue, it won’t devalue the original pressing. 

If your bro has an original pressing of Pulse, I’d gladly give him 100 or even 200.. that’s a well sought after pressing. 

Hell man, if you are able to get an original Live like a Suicide, it’ll set you back a few hundred, but it’s always retained it value. 

I saw one at a record show a few months ago in shitty condition for 250.

I have a Bob Ludwig Zeppelin 2 pressing that’s in shitty condition, but will still fetch 100 to a collector.

Basically what I’m saying is the original vinyl pressings will likely almost always retain their value. 

 

A lot of times the reissues are 180 G , and are initially expensive, but hardly see their value increase like the originals do.

everyone got rid of their vinyl, there’s simply not many copies left...

 

i could  talk about this all night. 

Its a very expensive hobby I’ve taken up. 

Shit man, thTs why I bought Locked & Loaded

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah, I know the original Live Like a Suicide is always gonna be worth big bucks, but it's been bootlegged to death over the last 20 years so I'd need some kind of rock solid proof it's an original and that's really hard to do.  I suppose in person it's easier, if you can inspect the groove writing and all that.

 

Back in the mid 90s when GNR wasn't hot anymore, I got some steals at a local record store.  I got LIES on vinyl and I'm fairly sure it's the US pressing, but it's awesome cause it's got the "Ladies welcome to the dark ages" and "wife beating" lines that were censored on the later CD releases.  Also picked up the double vinyl bootleg "44 Caliber Horticulture" for cheap, which isn't a great record but it's still cool to have.

 

Also picked up Spaghetti Incident, brand new, for like 5 bucks.  That one's awesome cause it's on orange translucent vinyl.  Not sure that was ever reissued so it might be worth something now.

 

Also picked up UYI II somewhere over the years and had Matt Sorum sign it at a Cult show in 1999.

 

The only main release I never got on vinyl was UYI I and it's just something I never got around to.  I think they are current pressings available anywhere for like $20.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and forgot to mention another one of my favorites....I found the Live From the Jungle EP 12 inch at a record store here in Japan a few years back.  It's used but in great condition.  Still has the OBI strip even....and it was only $20!

 

Pretty sure not a lot of people have that one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

That's cool man.  I wish I had found the Street of Dreams promo CD but that dumb thing is really expensive now and definitely not worth it.

Yea those are weirdly expensive, definitely not worth it.

 

I have 3 copies of UYI I on vinyl :lol: I initially had the 180g reissue, and found an original pressing and a Russian bootleg for cheap in record stores. I don't have the Live From The Jungle EP but I have a few bootlegs, and Live Era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Oh yeah, I know the original Live Like a Suicide is always gonna be worth big bucks, but it's been bootlegged to death over the last 20 years so I'd need some kind of rock solid proof it's an original and that's really hard to do.  I suppose in person it's easier, if you can inspect the groove writing and all that.

 

Back in the mid 90s when GNR wasn't hot anymore, I got some steals at a local record store.  I got LIES on vinyl and I'm fairly sure it's the US pressing, but it's awesome cause it's got the "Ladies welcome to the dark ages" and "wife beating" lines that were censored on the later CD releases.  Also picked up the double vinyl bootleg "44 Caliber Horticulture" for cheap, which isn't a great record but it's still cool to have.

 

Also picked up Spaghetti Incident, brand new, for like 5 bucks.  That one's awesome cause it's on orange translucent vinyl.  Not sure that was ever reissued so it might be worth something now.

 

Also picked up UYI II somewhere over the years and had Matt Sorum sign it at a Cult show in 1999.

 

The only main release I never got on vinyl was UYI I and it's just something I never got around to.  I think they are current pressings available anywhere for like $20.

I also have the orange Spaghetti Incident vinyl..

 

From my understanding the orange was a reissue. Limited run though. Kinda popped up one day, then it was gone.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, when I buy shit I prefer that said shit is small as to not shit up the place too much and take up too much space.  The CD doubled up as a beer mat to protect the surface of my salami table from spillages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Faxl Rows said:

Got the CD. The cd/shacklers vinyl makes for a nice frisbee. 

If someone frisbee’d that into my garden I’d make it a mission of mine to hunt down whoever the culprit was in the same way I’d hunt down a dog owner who allowed their dog to shit on my lawn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, maynard said:

I have a canadian CD cd. The cuckiest version around. 

I have a Georgian Gypsy Version.  It’s made of stolen, melted down garden furniture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Salsh Borski said:

I have a Georgian Gypsy Version.  It’s made of stolen, melted down garden furniture.

That's the version that protects you from bad spirits but not from savages fucking your wife and daughters right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...