Donald Trump

I had a leaks battle royal and Circus Maximus came out on top

nate put it best - oklahoma makes you envision driving down a desert road high on speed. it's one of the best sounding gnr things i've heard in years and it actually sounds like fucking gnr. it's the only instrumental leak i consider a "good song" in its own right, reminds me of top-tier solo buckethead.

soul monster is interesting but obviously without vocals it amounts to unfinished wankery. still, it's one of the better sounding ones and the song itself has always had mythical status. i hope we get to hear it one day. it's a promising half-of-a-song.

13 minutes ago, magisme said:

and all of a sudden they're ranking Buckethead instrumentals ahead of actual GNR songs on GNR song lists.

oklahoma is better than...

live and let die

you ain't the first

bad apples

kohd

get in the ring

shotgun blues

so fine

my world

not quite half, but a handful

Just now, Dr. Strangelove said:

oklahoma is better than...

live and let die

you ain't the first

bad apples

kohd

get in the ring

shotgun blues

so fine

my world

not quite half, but a handful

Take Bad Apples and YATF off of that list and I probably agree. All of Radiohead's discography is also better than those songs. It's neither here nor there.

Also... Oklahoma is actually the GNR lineup at the time recording it.

I agree that musically it holds its own up against the old discography but Axl will definitely make or break it.

Mags does have a valid point ... about half the instrumentals are Bucket pikes, including the Sorry & Shackler's demos.

18 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

nate put it best - oklahoma makes you envision driving down a desert road high on speed. 

Fuck speed....that shit's for the spring chickens.

Oklahoma is best played doing 85 down highway 99 heading up to Redding with an 80 mg Oxy flowing through your veins.

Listened to the whole Village sessions on that trip but that song is a beast.

I find it hard to consider anything GNR without any vocals or lyrics. Let's face it, as good as some of the instrumentals sound, Axl has potential to ruin a whole lot of them. Shackler isn't a bad track musically; neither is If The World, or Scraped, but the vocals and lyrics make them utter shit. 

A lot of this stuff sounds like it would be in the high range, which is where Axl suffers these days. 

Paul Tobias, Robin Finck, Tommy Stinson, Brain and Chris Pitman should form a band with a new singer and record slightly modified versions of all of these songs since none of them are doing anything important

They might even be able to get Buckethead back on board since Fatxl's not involved

I'd love to post about them in the GNR section

33 minutes ago, MacDaddyRose said:

Axl has potential to ruin a whole lot of them.

When I first heard Oklahoma I was floored. My first thought after it finished was.....'please don't ruin this scorcher with second rate lyrics about Steph, Erin, and/or Slash'. 

Axl is quite capable of coming up with great lyrics and can also pull some damn good vocals out of his hat...but in the Chinese years it's veering towards literal coin flips which one you're going to get.

When I heard Soul Monster, I nearly went into anaphylactic shock. It was my long ago pipe dream come true....Bucket bringing Axl an Electric Tears type song. 

Then I thought....how does he put vocals/lyrics to THIS?!?

When I listen to the Sorry instrumental, it blows my mind that what came to him for lyrics is a diatribe towards Slash and hardcore fans.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Paul Tobias, Robin Finck, Tommy Stinson, Brain and Chris Pitman should form a band with a new singer and record slightly modified versions of all of these songs since none of them are doing anything important

They might even be able to get Buckethead back on board since Fatxl's not involved

I said it during that insane 2003-05 silent period....that lineup should've recorded a Praxis style record and have Stinson sing lead on one or two tracks.

Now that we've heard a chunk of the material they were working with and coupled with the fact Bucket was bringing in complete tracks to the Chinese buffet, we know they were really capable of doing it.

11 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Bucket ran away because of Tommy bullying him, remember? 

8 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

let me dream god damnit

If shit bands are what you want to dream about, I won't ruin it for you any more. Have a fun.

5 hours ago, MIA said:

When I heard Soul Monster, I nearly went into anaphylactic shock. It was my long ago pipe dream come true....Bucket bringing Axl an Electric Tears type song. 

I'm hearing the Layla piano coda on Elvis. Axl better not fuck this song up!

7 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

giphy.gif

I fucking love that idea.  I would even go see them live, just for the hell of it.   But what should they call themselves?  It has to be a name that evokes GNR or CD, the way Velvet Revolver did.

13 hours ago, MIA said:

Mags does have a valid point

Of course I do. Overnight the IBO sent me a letter congratulating me for objectively winning thread.

14 hours ago, MIA said:

I agree that musically it holds its own up against the old discography

It's things like this that I don't understand, and this will demonstrate how my official stance on what's GNR and what's not has nothing to do with CD.

What do you mean by "holds its own"? Is it just "as good as"? Because to me that makes no sense, not because Oklahoma is instrumentally worse than GNR songs, but because it feels like some kid just fucked up an analogy in my class or something. They're completely different sets of musicians. Not like one guy changed, or even two--they're ALL different (lol Dizzzy), therefore they're entirely different bands, therefore their songs don't "hold their own" against each other anymore than OK Computer held its own against AFD.

who said it was the same band? absolutely nobody. they simply have shared associations (the involvement of axl rose) that make them worthy of comparison. you can put your butthurt foot down as much as you want (still nobody will care), you're not going to get anyone to stop talking about instrumental nugnr demos in the context of gnr

2 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

who said it was the same band?

That's why I asked him what he meant.

2 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

you're not going to get anyone to stop talking about instrumental nugnr demos in the context of gnr

And you're not going to get anyone to stop pointing out that you're faggots for doing so past the first week of excitement.

10 minutes ago, magisme said:

That's why I asked him what he meant.

And you're not going to get anyone to stop pointing out that you're faggots for doing so past the first week of excitement.

so i'm just supposed to not care about a treasure trove of demos from a band i've been following for the vast majority of my adolescent/adult life, because some boomer on the internet will call me a faggot for doing so? what, do you want us to tow a fucking line and make sure we don't make any references to the original band while talking about oklahoma and soul monster? i'm really not sure what grand point you're trying to make here.

no one is saying oklahoma and locomotive are by the same band, but the 1999-2002 lineups existed, just had a shit ton of stuff leaked, we're going to fucking talk about it, and i'm not going to tiptoe on eggshells to avoid triggering some faggot by accidentally associating them with bad apples and you ain't the first, so fuck off back to the leakshit hate thread.