Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Strangelove

Quick Song/Zodiac (Instrumentals)

Have you guys listened to the rest of that disc yet? Atlas is WAY better quality, including the other tracks as well.  I'm hearing synth I could not hear in the original leak as well.

Quick Song just sounds like Smells Like Teen Spirit to me.

This WAS during Axl's obsession with that song, right?  The drum tech had to run out and buy it so he could tune the drum that way, yadda yadda?

1 minute ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Quick Song just sounds like Smells Like Teen Spirit to me.

This WAS during Axl's obsession with that song, right?  The drum tech had to run out and buy it so he could tune the drum that way, yadda yadda?

They always said that it sounded like Teen Spirit. We have known this for 20 years. Now, we've heard it.

Can you believe it, Josh?

17 minutes ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Honestly, no.  I read and re-read and re-read that Rolling Stone article so many times I practically have it memorized.  I can't believe these songs actually exist, let alone the fact that we HAVE them now.

The last few weeks have been pretty fucking crazy.

Yes, the best weeks in the saga of our community.

We are making history. Living these songs every day.
Right here. Right now!

These period will be remembered forever!

20 minutes ago, Retardo Montalbán said:

Quick Song sounds nothing like Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Listen from 51 seconds to 1:01.   I am in no way a musician but I'm fairly sure that's just Teen Spirit in halftime.

37 minutes ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Honestly, no.  I read and re-read and re-read that Rolling Stone article so many times I practically have it memorized.  I can't believe these songs actually exist, let alone the fact that we HAVE them now.

The last few weeks have been pretty fucking crazy.

To me the craziest part is that these songs are genuinely good. The elephant in the room with most of us was always "well they are just the CD leftovers, they are probably shit", but I genuinely think most of these are as good or better than a lot of CD

Quicksong and Zodiac are fucking awesome. Quisksong is a beautiful mess of Nirvana meets proggy metal but it works imo. Zodiac is everything a weird NuGNR song should be and it fucking rocks with killer guitars. It'd be one of my favorite NuGNR songs with lyrics and I say that as someone who loves the trainwreck that is the CD era. Hard School is catchy as fuck and a killer rock track, even if it needs work and SoG and Perhaps are fucking great. Atlas is the weak link (not counting Eye on You) for me and even that is a solid, if not a little underwhelming and undercooked, song.

Yet Scraped and Riad make the album's final cut. I always thought those songs being on the album meant the rest must not have been that good, yet here we are. Those two songs made the tracklisting of the "most anticipated rock album", and songs like Zodiac and Perhaps and shit are shelved away to rot for 20 years. That is mind blowing to me after hearing these.

Edited by hotdogman

4 minutes ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Maybe it's like I said about Oh My God......it's impossible for us to be objective because we're all at our core, GNR fans.

Very few of us like everything on CD.  But most of us like at least a few tracks.

Maybe.....hear me out......maybe they're all the same level of quality?   Maybe to an average music listener, the stuff that made the CD and these outtakes all just sound like the same shit?  But we think some are better than others cause we like the band so much and we WANT to like it?

It's so bizarre to get inundated with what...five? six? new Axl Rose songs all at once like we just did.  I don't think my brain has fully processed it.   I can say the only song I personally think is REALLY good is Atlas, and that one is your least favorite, so it's the same as the CD songs.  Even amongst fans we can't agree on anything.

I bet non-fans would just agree that the entire thing sucks equally.  It'd be fun to play the released tracks along with the unreleased tracks for someone that's never heard any of them, and have a fresh perspective.

I think the thing that would turn most fans off about these new songs is the vocals, ironically. Songs like Perhaps, the Mac Daddy song, State of Grace, it's Axl who is the weak link.
The problem with the actual CD album is there is no hook or catchyness to any of the songs. These leaks, whatever you think, do have a catchiness to them but they also have bad vocals and subpar lyrics from Axl above pretty cool instrumentals. These songs if released in 2000 or 2001 would've been received very well. If Limp Bizkit was at their height in 2001, these songs would've been received very very well at the time. Now in 2019? Maybe with a lot of tweaking and Axl actually trying to sing, they'd work. I don't think it's just us.

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

THANK YOU

It does and it doesn't. There is a few seconds where it def does but then it changes. It's not the same chord's but def same strum pattern. I immediately noticed it. 

For real, it's only sinking in to me now that "The Vault" actually existed all along.

I probably posted about a hundred times over the years how I thought it was 100% bullshit and didn't exist.

I was wrong.  Axl actually did record more than 15 songs.

Hey Axl, if you're reading this, I'm sorry I called you lazy and said you had writer's block.   I owe you a Coke, man.

51 minutes ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Listen from 51 seconds to 1:01.   I am in no way a musician but I'm fairly sure that's just Teen Spirit in halftime.

Same strum pattern definitely.almost an out of tune version. The whole song doesent sound like it but there is a few times it goes into that breakdown and it's 100 percent click go bang

This is very bad music. No wonder that garbage remained in the vaults for so many years.

By the way, the piano intro of Zodiac is by Chopin.

Chopin >>>>>> fakegnr

I don't even hate Riad and Scraped on CD. They are just by far the weakest links and now we have objective confirmation of SIX vastly superior tracks, with probably more out there

Now I am salivating for the other instrumentals. I had no idea they were basically finished songs sans vocals. Bring on Soul Monster and shit

Also, will suck a hot dog for a completed Zodiac with lyrics

3 minutes ago, John Bonham said:

There have been exactly 4 times that I could not believe my eye/ears/senses

9/11 was one, and these leaks were another.

Just totally unreal

LOL....I certainly wouldn't compare it to 9/11 but yeah, as far as things go on the entertainment/music spectrum this is probably the most outlandish, unheard of, surprising thing I've ever witnessed.

I honestly thought we'd all go to our graves before Axl and Slash reunited, but it happened.   I sat in utter disbelief on April 1st 2016, just astounded that the reunion was real.

The Vault turning out to be real is even more of a shock.