Sign in to follow this  
Skeeter

Current Official Rankings

3 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

this might be the worst one yet

It's a taste thing man. State of Grace has a lot of potential, but I need some serious singing to be able to enjoy the song. It's a very rough demo, but it's cool! I've read it's your favorite. All cool by me.

4 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The ending of State Of Grace is pretty cool, especially the last scream, but it doesn't make up for the first half, or the gibberish lyrics.

It honestly could have been called "Axl Rose presents: Marilyn Reznor".

i deciphered most of the gibberish lyrics (shitters like @evader will claim otherwise), keep up

Perhaps

State of Grace

Hardschool(Still has potential)

Atlas Shrugged

KOHD acoustic(boring as shit)

Silkworms

Arm flaps (made me break character)

Steak of cake ( grindy fuck boy soy, yum yum)

Faglas (sweet nothings whispered into cell mates shitter)

Hard poon (all cautions made, to avoid a trannyy)

Perhaps

Hard School

Atlas Shrugged

State of Grace

Silkworms

That said, I love them all. Even Silkworms. Hard School and Atlas are the two I most want to hear Slash on, the others I would be happy with hearing final mixes from the original ChiDem sessions.

11 minutes ago, evader said:

I cave. I just re-checked mine and have concluded yours were correct. Apologies, Doc!

My rankings:

1. (Tie) Atlas, SOG, Perhaps, HS - for early demos, these are all really fucking good.

2. Silkworms - this only misses a tie for the top spot because it was highly incomplete.

3. All else.

Either Ezrin is a moron, or was doing as many have suggested - sabotaging. I think the latter.

Yeah, it's hard to pick a favourite, and Silkworms in this leak is missing a chorus (2001 live chorus > no chorus > "Absurd" chorus).

Regarding Ezrin, I think it may be that he genuinely did not like the songs that he heard. I love this stuff, but I can see how others who were expecting a more "classic rock" sound might. I doubt Ezrin was trying to sabotage the album, but I don't doubt that others like Iovine were trying to do so.

After a dozen of due listenings, I conclude that I was completely wrong about State of Grace. It is, in fact, a great song. So far it is then: 

1. Atlas (in the moment one of the best GNR songs ever IMO, still)

2. State of Grace (The part when Axl says the line and then just starts screaming is fucking gold. Gold!)

3. Silkworms (I really like this song. Love the textures, the beats, the hooks. It's definetly the most interesting song. Maybe objectively it should be number 1, I don't know)

4. Hardschool (I'm upgrading it from ok to cool. Up this point are songs are great, it's just that other that I don't understand)

5. Perhaps (utter shit; I don't know what in the world are you people listening to)

Just now, Donald Trump said:

Is Perhaps starting to drop down for anyone else? I still can't believe he wrote two songs about John Lennon's murderer. 

I'm not 100% on it being another Chapman/Lennon song. I mean, yeah there's that song about shooting and crucifying his saviour, but that could be interpreted many ways.

What I like about Perhaps is that it mixes ballad Axl (verses) and demon Axl (chorus), best of both worlds. Also, unlike State of Grace it has finished lyrics, and it doesn't have the jarring transitions of Atlas, though for those two I'm still eager to hear newer mixes.

16 minutes ago, Amir said:

I'm not 100% on it being another Chapman/Lennon song. I mean, yeah there's that song about shooting and crucifying his saviour, but that could be interpreted many ways.

What I like about Perhaps is that it mixes ballad Axl (verses) and demon Axl (chorus), best of both worlds. Also, unlike State of Grace it has finished lyrics, and it doesn't have the jarring transitions of Atlas, though for those two I'm still eager to hear newer mixes.

I am sure I will get killed for saying this but I think there is something a bit Maroon 5 sounding about Perhaps. 

1. Perhaps - first time Axl is in a fully pathetic moment in his life thinking about growing up and hitting a home run by self pitying his way to the top. Evolution.

2. Silkworms should not have existed in any form

3. Hard School - at least it rocks

4. State Of Grace - at least it's good

5. Atlas - almost

6. Bob Ezrin is a scumbag

Last night I played Perhaps and SoG on a club where a GNR cover band was playing (so a lot of gnr fans around). 

The DJ couldnt believe the songs were real as he was also a fan and let me play it. 

The crowd looked confused as fuck with the songs, the cover band guys asked me for the songs but didnt like them (they're mullet mofos). 

It was cool to see the reactions. 

Manets and sixes have good lists. Be more like Manets and sixes.

I borderline want to banish you to a Linkin Park forum if you have Perhaps at the top.

14 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

the layered vocals are a fucking mess

reminds me of prostitute and shacklers in the worst possible way

the piano intro(s), verse vocals and brian may solo save it from being complete shit, but that evanescence chorus is truly horrible

I never bothered listening to evanescence, all i remember is avoiding them cause they looked like a bunch of posers. Is that really how they sounded? I like the chord progression, seems very unpredictable for a gnr song.