AXL'S DISEASE: INTERESTING ARTICLE

Not recent, but  cool.

Taken from a Brazilian site.  I didn't have time to translate properly, so it's a GT translation.
It's a great read!

Give it a try before you criticize ...

2l8a3700_2_copy1547235283_1024.jpg

“Axl Rose is an asshole”, “I don't know how Axl can have fans”, “Axl has destroyed the name Guns N 'Roses”… Among all these stages said by some people, the most intriguing of them and that also sums it up very well. The question is: “Why can't Axl act like a normal person ?!” And the answer is very simple: Simply because he is not a normal person. And this is not something that I, a fan, are saying to try to raise my idol and try to put it above other artists. Axl Rose was, in the 1990s, clinically diagnosed as bipolar.

Of course to the layman, bipolar disorder sounds just like a prettier name for mood swings, and seems to be just an excuse to be stupid, putting the blame on the disease. However, the real scientific name of this condition is not so friendly… Manic depressive psychosis. This is what Axl Rose suffers from, and explains many of the musician's actions that normal people have a hard time understanding.

One must understand that Axl Rose is the definition of crazy. Most people when he says he is crazy he jokingly says, but the fact is that he is indeed crazy… psychotic maniac to be exact. In past centuries, Axl Rose would have been interned in insane asylums, where his waves of depression or greatness / mania would not affect anyone but himself. Luckily for the sufferers of this disease, some decades ago there are lithium-based treatments that inhibit these waves, so that the person can live normally. But badly for fans, Axl has refused to start his treatment. Let us now understand more about the disease and how it has affected Axl Rose.

ADEB (Association for Support of Depressive and Bipolar Patients) defines Manic-Depressive Disease as a psychiatric disorder characterized by marked mood swings, with repeated bouts of depression and mania. Either type of seizure may predominate in the same person and its frequency is quite variable. Seizures can be severe, moderate or mild.

Mood swings, in one sense or another, have important repercussions on a person's sensations, emotions, ideas, and behavior, with a significant loss of personality health and autonomy.

The ADEB also defines the two stages of the disease, describing its main symptoms:

The main symptom of mania is a high and expansive mood state, euphoric or irritable. In the early stages of the crisis one can feel happier, sociable, active, talkative, self-confident, intelligent and creative. With progressive mood elevation and psychic acceleration, some or all of the following symptoms may appear:

- extreme irritability; the person becomes demanding and angry when others do not heed their desires and wishes;

I'm sure no music fan has the slightest difficulty associating Axl with this symptom. Most people call him a spoiled brat, a crying baby, a diva… And while I agree that these adjectives apply, I can see that it's just another symptom of the disease. In St Louis in 1991, Axl demanded that the security of the show remove one person from the audience. As his wish was not fulfilled, he was angry and suddenly jumped on the man to punch him. Most recently, in 2010, Axl was warned during the Reading show that if he delayed the band's sound would be cut off. But Axl can not be opposed ... Having the sound cut, continued the show with a megaphone and guitars. Not that his attitude wasn't amazing, but it's just further proof that he doesn't accept to be opposed. And when it is, it scowls, as at the Guns N 'Roses show in Dublin in 2010, when he was legally obliged to finish the show, despite his intention to leave after the stage was bombarded by bottles and spears due to band delay.

2l8a11251547234814_1024.jpg

Sudden and unpredictable emotional changes

There are countless cases where the band was playing and no more, Axl Rose left the stage and occasionally came back. Anyone who was at Rock in Rio in 2011 or saw the show on TV can clearly see how Axl Rose started the show in a good mood and went on to the middle of it when he suddenly frowned and said nothing more during the entire show.

- Excessive reaction to stimuli, misinterpretation of events, irritation with little things, leading to mischievous comments;

During Rock in Rio in 2001, Axl sees During It's So Easy a man in the audience wearing a Slash shirt. He begins to show him the middle finger during one of the verses, and when he starts the solo, he asks Mr. Security to remove the poor guy and give him the damn shirt. Exaggerated? The same goes for Leeds in 2002, when one of the fans asked "Where's Slash" - in analogy to "Where's Izzy?" Of 1991 - and Axl replied in the can "It's in my ass!" Go home, sucker. ”Or even in Sao Paulo, in 2010, when Axl literally threatened to embarrass the show and leave 40,000 people without a show from being hit by a glass of water. Actually, all these events would be annoying to anyone, but, consistent with the symptom, there is an excessive reaction and irritation with little things from Axl.

- Increased interest in various activities, excessive expenses, debts and over-offers;

This aspect of Axl's mania phase is quite visible. His plans for Guns N 'Roses and Chinese Democracy were astronomical… Triple album, $ 14 million, very expensive music videos (Axl tells in his letter in Chinese Democracy's alternative art his trip to China, and there are rumors that he even went to Shangrila, looking for locations to record a clip from Catcher In The Rye). Tom Zutaut, famous Guns N 'Roses manager in the 1980s, said that in 2002 he listened - in awe - 70 demos recorded for Chinese Democracy. 70! In 2002!

- Greatness, increased self-love. One can feel better and more powerful than everyone else;

Even the most fanatical fans of Axl have to admit that every once in a while he acts like he's putting himself above other people.

- Excessive energy, allowing uninterrupted hyperactivity;

Axl certainly records his demos - 70 !? - in waves of hyperactivity before sinking into a wave of depression, becoming unproductive for weeks on end. A Rolling Stone critic, when making his - excellent - criticism of Chinese Democracy, said he was fascinated with Axl Rose's vocal in the song Sorry. He said the versatility of the vocal, which went from 8 to 80 in seconds was fantastic. He said the beauty of Axl and Chinese Democracy is that probably on some counter in Los Angeles or on some lost HD at Malibu's house, there are hundreds and who would say maybe thousands of different recordings of Axl singing “But I don't want to do it ”in a number of different ways, and he probably chose that peculiar way that went into the album after hearing and testing each one over and over again. I dont doubt.

- Inability to recognize the disease, tendency to refuse treatment and blame others for what goes wrong;

Here's what Axl said about the disease in an interview in the 1990s: So suddenly I'm diagnosed with manic depression. ‘Let's give Axl medicine.’ Well, those medicines don't help me deal with stress. The only help is that people get off my feet because they realize I'm on medication. ”

- Alcohol and substance abuse.

Needless to comment…

These are the main symptoms of the manic phase of the disease, and they relate to Axl's desire to make Guns N 'Roses a huge, multi-album, massive touring phenomenon. At the beginning of the last decade this was more visible. Certainly when Axl told Rock in Rio in 2001 that they would be back next summer with new songs, he was telling the truth. Certainly he had the desire to release his new album, there was confidence in the new band, and a grand tour marked the world, but suddenly everything went downhill without the slightest explanation. In 2002, the same thing: album promises, confidence, even VMA appearances, but suddenly Axl doesn't take the stage at a Philadelphia show and then every world tour is canceled, and he's not seen for another 4 years. . Again without explanation. Or is there an explanation?

2l8a19381547234817_1024.jpg

The depression phase, as well as the manic phase, can come on suddenly, without the slightest warning… A person's self-esteem drops immensely, he feels helpless and powerless, and this is strongly related to the sudden cancellations of shows and tours. Just as waves of euphoria relate to the phase of mania. In 2010 Axl posted on his Twitter that all future Guns N 'Roses shows were canceled. In 2011 he published on MyGNR Forum which in 2012 would release a new album from Guns N 'Roses. In either case, the Guns N 'Roses team said Axl had been hacked - twice ?! But in my humble opinion, both the case of the sudden cancellation of the tour in 2010 - and 2001 and 2002 - and the case of the album's sudden announcement in 2011 are works of the waves of depression and mania, respectively, that arrive without warning. , out of the blue. Axl, extremely depressed or extremely optimistic, certainly made these announcements without consulting the entrepreneurs, prompting them to take drastic measures later to fix these errors.

Let us now turn to ADEB's definition of the phase of depression as well as its analyzed symptoms: The main symptom is a mood state of sadness and despair. Depending on the severity of the depression, you may experience some or many of the following symptoms:

- Concern with failures or disabilities and loss of self-esteem. You may become obsessed with negative thoughts without being able to push them away; Feelings of worthlessness, despair and excessive guilt;

Once again, I see this with regard to tour cancellations, canceled album releases etc.

- Loss of interest in work, hobbies and people, including family and friends;

This is just a guess, but although he's sure Axl has his waves of hyperactivity when he spends his years locked at home, he certainly spends days doing nothing.

- Appetite and weight changes;

Needless to comment too, right?

- Excessive use of alcohol or other substances;

Same as above.

- Loss of the notion of reality, of time;

Many fans joke that Axl lives in his world and in time. The fact is that he really lives.

ADEB concludes by saying that The notion of mental illness in public opinion is generally very confusing and not correct. There is a tendency to negatively consider people with psychiatric illness, and it is often the notion that mental illness is qualitatively different from other illnesses. It is very common to imagine that there is a single 'mental illness' ('mental illness'), giving people who have suffered a negative prognosis of incurability, wrongly gauged by cases of the most severe and chronic mentally ill. Sometimes the medical diagnosis of different psychiatric illnesses is not made at the right time for various reasons, and this happens quite often in Bipolar Disorder.

Knowledge, even if simplified, of the characteristics of Bipolar Disease facilitates its recognition for themselves (sufferers) and others, enabling greater help to many people who lack proper medical treatment and a sympathetic human understanding.

2l8a03591547234448_1024.jpg

Another medical site features the disease as follows:

The patient has periods of intense depression (which may lead to suicide), and periods of intense euphoria (mania), which almost always leads to severe social disturbances. Between these periods, the patient recovers all lucidity.

Until recently known as manic-depressive psychosis, bipolar disorder is characterized by periods of depressive illness, usually of severe intensity, which alternate with periods of opposite depression, that is, the person presents euphoric, with many activities, sometimes making unnecessary and high financial expenses, feeling omnipotent, often accompanied by insomnia and speaking more than usual. This picture is known as craze. Both depression and mania can last weeks, months, or years.

The person who presents the manic picture shows an abnormally persistently high, expansive, overly euphoric, and cheerful mood, sometimes with periods of irritation and outbursts of anger, contrasting with a period of normalcy before the illness manifests. In addition, there is a great self-esteem (with the person feeling powerful and capable of everything), with reduced need for sleep (the person sleeps little and feels rested).

Unlike the depressive phase, the manic patient does not feel sick, which can make treatment very difficult.

In short, the vast majority of symptoms are visible in Axl: Some periods of lucidity alternated with periods of depression and euphoria that can last for years (8 years out of the spotlight in the 1990s and 6 in the 2000s), feelings of grandeur with huge financial expenses, great irritability with small and irrelevant things, weight gain, among others mentioned above.

I am not a psychiatrist to diagnose anyone with a disease, especially such a serious disease. But Axl underwent tests in the 1990s and his clinical condition was that. In an interview with Rolling Stone recently he said that his mood swings have nothing to do with the disease, and that the disease is just an excuse that people interested in deriving some financial benefit from him found to justify some of his actions. Psychiatrists disagree.

In an episode of the tenth season of the Law & Order: Special Victims Unit series, the daughter and mother of one of the detectives are diagnosed with the disease. There is a very interesting conversation they have in prison where they say how different they feel from the rest of society living in their world. Grandma says that some days she wakes up wanting to sleep for another 12 hours, and then stays in her room for days, but other times she wakes up with a sudden desire to go to Paris to learn how to paint and also travel the world. She then recounts a moment when she was forced to take the lithium medication that Axl apparently refused to take… She said she was acting normal, without waves of euphoria or depression, but feeling empty, soulless, hollow. And I'd rather live a life of ups and downs than have to go through the feel of lithium treatment again. She concludes by saying that she lived her life the way she wanted, and that she pays a terrible price for it.

Kind of like Axl. He only does what he wants. If I had continued with the old Guns N 'Roses they would be one of the biggest bands on the planet today, at a level that few have achieved. If it had fulfilled its initial plans of Chinese Democracy, surely the band would be immensely bigger and more respected. But he did not want to. And today pays the price. Not that he cares about it…

2l8a13911547234847_1024.jpg

http://axlrosefaclube.com/2013/03/a-doenca-de-axl-rose/

6 minutes ago, ManetsBR said:

I wrote that article, like, 5 or 6 years ago.

It makes me cringe.

Great article :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

how shit of auad to cut out this part of the article in his post, it would have made all the difference

vGyJEKg.png

I put the link to the original :thumbsup:

• 7 months later...

Axl isnt crazy. I doubt hes Bi-Polar. Sure hes always been a big baby who needs attention & a need to feel important, but that doesnt qualify him as having anything. And his "issues"got bigger as he got bigger, and knew his demands would always be met. He's just another self righteous musician who no longer has relevance or anything to say.