Sign in to follow this  
Salsh Borski

The gardening thread.

I want to add more plants to my garden, I have conifers and small flowers such as pansies.  What does everyone recommend.  The soil is extremely gypsiferous, does this effect things?  I’m thinking of shrubs mainly.

I was growing Tomatoes but Hornworms came and ate it all. There is just one that survived and it's still growing.

I have Jalapenos that are growing beautifully as well as Carrots and Lettuce.

They have yet to grow fully. Hopefully they make it lol

I have a separate area for vegetables and a few fruit bushes.  It’s more the plant/flower side of things that I’m interested in exploring.

10 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

I am sorry Salsh Borski but you cannot plant salami in a garden. 

Perhaps not but you sure can hang it in a shed, in a garden!

50 minutes ago, maynard said:

What is a gypsiferous soil?

Gypsiferous soils are soils that contain sufficient quantities of gypsum (calcium sulphate) to interfere with plant growth. Soils with gypsum of pedogenic origin are found in regions with ustic, xeric and aridic moisture regimes.

I have a bunch of peach trees on my property. Which is cool....but what the hell are you suppose to do when you have 100 ripe peaches at the same time? I made a little stand in front of our house and the kids sold them three for a dollar. They made $26 in a couple hours. Then got bored and gave away the last ten or so got free. 

I have little space for it so I don't have any trees or shrubs. I just plant flowers. My morning glory vines grew the easiest like crazy but they are annuals.

I go with perennials so you don't have to do maintenance and replant year to year. Everyone here has the same cloned yellow/orange Home Depot day lilies. I got free ones. Rock Cress and mulch for ground cover. I still have fancy pots for larger plants.

Beware of store bought soil/fertilizers. Companies can "disperse" lead and asbestos in small legal quantities and soil/fertilizer is one avenue for them to get rid of it. Eventually that will make it to vegetables you grow.

8 hours ago, Skeeter said:

I have a bunch of peach trees on my property. Which is cool....but what the hell are you suppose to do when you have 100 ripe peaches at the same time? I made a little stand in front of our house and the kids sold them three for a dollar. They made $26 in a couple hours. Then got bored and gave away the last ten or so got free. 

I have a similar problem with plums.  I normally make preserves and use a lot to cook with to make pies etc but like you, find there are far too many to use.  My solution is to take them to the church that is near to me, they then make chutneys and jellies which they sell in their fayres.