Sign in to follow this  
John Bonham

Brazilian singer, guitarist and songwriter Joao Gilberto, who is considered one of the fathers of the Bossa Nova genre, has died at 88 in Rio de Janeiro

Getz/Gilberto is considered the record that popularized bossa nova worldwide, and was one of the best-selling jazz albums of all time. The album was also a commercial success, selling more than 2 million copies in 1964. It was later featured in Rolling Stone's and Vibe's lists of best albums of all time. Getz/Gilberto was widely acclaimed by music critics, who praised Gilberto's vocals and the album's bossa nova groove and minimalism. Getz/Gilberto received Grammy Awards for Best Jazz Instrumental Album, Individual or Group and Best Engineered Recording - Non-Classical; it also became the first non-American album to win one for Album of the Year, in 1965.

enhanced-28984-1404855514-25.jpg

Without Bossa Nova we wouldn't have The Door's Break on Through to the Other Side, one of the earliest hard rock songs.

I can't pretend I dig the guy's stuff. To be honest, it bores me to death. But yeah, he was a talented Brazilian musician and such things is becoming more and more rare. RIP Gilberto Gil.

1 hour ago, maynard said:

I can't pretend I dig the guy's stuff. To be honest, it bores me to death. But yeah, he was a talented Brazilian musician and such things is becoming more and more rare. RIP Gilberto Gil.

Obviously I'd never listened to it before this thread but that Gilberto/Getz album I posted is pretty good background music and only ~half an hour long. I recommend giving it a listen to preserve real Brazilian music against the rise of the shitrock commies e olhe lá

I saw Gilberto Gil a long time ago as a teenager. He was my first concert in a sense

Rip

Edit- Oops. Wrong Brazilian

if you are angry at me for bothering you im sorry I just hate hoarders and I was trying to get these guys to say something I'm just a fan who wants new music just like every other gnr fan and wants these idiots to leak it

João Gilberto and his music was the perfect symbol for the 20th century image of Brazil, the country of the future - and now the man is dead; couldn't have picked a more meaningful time to go. Bossa-nova, an equally complex and popular genre, was the musical aspect of that idea, which was the idea that no matter how hard or magnificent something is, we in Brazil can do it better, but not only, we do it with a mind boggling ease that resembles, in the end, more of a mockery than sloppiness.

Take The Girl From Ipanema, for example - one of the most known songs around the world is hell to play in the guitar. Alas, around the same time, Brazil, with it's team made mainly of negroes, started to repeatedly beat the europeans at the the beautiful game, winning 3 World Cups in just 12 years - what most of Europe has failed to do, still. Not only, it was also in the 50s that Brazil presented to the world what was supposed to be, at least back then, the future of architecture, with the minimalistic curvy lines of modernist Oscar Niemeyer.

Well... That's all in the past now, João Gilberto's death was the last nail in this coffin. With president Jair Bolsonaro, Brazil goes further and further into the past. This is a very sad year, yet full of a symbolism that at least allows us to, I don't know, comprehend it better? Never I felt like God was trying to say something as when the National Museum burned down last year, did you guys see about that? And now the Amazon. Well... at least music can't be destroyed.