Sign in to follow this  
auad

Moby: "Oh, this is great, but where are the vocals?"

in a recent interview, Moby commented on his non-participation in the production of Chinese Democracy, and said that apart from Axl, all former members of the GNR and current members are friendly with him. Why did Axl resent him?

There are clues:

1557843785_176758812276853.jpg

During an appearance on SiriusXM, Moby remembered briefly becoming the producer of Guns N' Roses back in the '90s, saying that Axl Rose apparently still hates him for something he said back then.

The musician explained how he was invited to produce what became 2008's "Chinese Democracy" back in February of 1997, saying (transcribed by UG):

"And I asked the question I'm never supposed to ask. I asked, 'Oh, this is great, but where are the vocals?'. And everyone got very uncomfortable. They've been working on the record for six years and they hadn't done any vocals."

Asked if the material he was presented with was the "industrial incarnation of the band," Moby replied:

"Yeah, I think so. And then I just realized, like, 'Look, I'm not a producer. I can make my own records, but I've never produced a rock band in my life.'

"And I just didn't think that my first job as a rock producer should be producing Guns N' Roses. So I had to excuse myself from being the producer of 'Chinese Democracy.'"

all shit here:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/moby_talks_gnr_hiring_him_to_produce_chinese_democracy__how_he_angered_axl_with_question_he_was_never_supposed_to_ask.html

Edited by auad

36 minutes ago, auad said:

"And I asked the question I'm never supposed to ask. I asked, 'Oh, this is great, but where are the vocals?'. And everyone got very uncomfortable. They've been working on the record for six years and they hadn't done any vocals."

:lol:

He asked that as all of the others sat there being paid for fuck all in deafening silence.  Pansy fucks.  Or is that a punk thing to do?  Where's Duff?

Edited by Salsh Borski

Axl has said like with Illusions he wanted all the music done then he would lay down the vocals. There must have been some struggle to get the music right. 

Strangely Beavan said the vocals on CD were 80% from 1999. I always think of Nu Guns starting around 97. 

Axl does seem serious about his lyrics so finding things to write about, saying the right thing probably does take some time. I think he said something like that about CD. 

1 hour ago, wasted said:

Axl has said like with Illusions he wanted all the music done then he would lay down the vocals. There must have been some struggle to get the music right. 

Strangely Beavan said the vocals on CD were 80% from 1999. I always think of Nu Guns starting around 97. 

Axl does seem serious about his lyrics so finding things to write about, saying the right thing probably does take some time. I think he said something like that about CD. 

Didn't he say at some point after CD was released (I honestly can't remember if it was the 2008 chats or the 2016 China Exchange, or sometime in-between) that he didn't like that approach as much? Like, having to write lyrics and melodies to finished music was harder than writing them as a song progressed?

37 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Didn't he say at some point after CD was released (I honestly can't remember if it was the 2008 chats or the 2016 China Exchange, or sometime in-between) that he didn't like that approach as much? Like, having to write lyrics and melodies to finished music was harder than writing them as a song progressed?

Yes at CE. It seemed to cock block Slash and basically saying we are going like AFD, off Axl and Izzy’s vocal melodies. Suggests Axl has lyrics and vocals to go off. 

18 hours ago, Bill Brasky said:

I thought Moby got stomped by Obie ?

thread ended here

there are two things people think of when they hear the word moby: dick, and that song

even fat and shit axl recording zero songs in twenty years is less pathetic

Edited by Alex Trebek

The crazy thing is Moby put out Play in 1999, it’s basically the definitive millennium album. Axl could have gone postal with Moby. But somehow it turned out for the best.