Sign in to follow this  
dave-gnfnr2k

Duff interview

>Guns N’ Roses bassist Duff McKagan talks about his solo album, his acoustic track “Parkland” and gun control.

>55 minutes

SHIT

2 hours ago, magisme said:

I think it's possible that Duff is more of a faggot than DJ Ashba.

Ashba is cool, Duff is almost punk.

52:35

I lol'd at his response:

He sounds fucked up. Has the NITL tour really aged him that rapidly? :duff:

"Woke Axl" reference around 48:50 btw. I didn't watch the whole thing, I skipped to 47~ mins to see his defence for One In A Million.

11 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

52:35

I lol'd at his response:

He sounds fucked up. Has the NITL tour really aged him that rapidly? :duff:

"Woke Axl" reference around 48:50 btw. I didn't watch the whole thing, I skipped to 47~ mins to see his defence for One In A Million.

What was his defence of One in the Million? 

He's ageing into a bingo granny.   His voice is camping up by the day and he is grating on me more and more.   At least he's still punk as fuck I guess!  

Between 'Punk As Fuck' and the teeth thing... you certainly know how to kick a joke to death around here. 

Edited by Barry

29 minutes ago, Barry said:

Between 'Punk As Fuck' and the teeth thing... you certainly no how to kick a joke to death around here. 

Image result for eeyore

10 hours ago, wasted said:

What was his defence of One in the Million? 

Interviewer: I understood when that song came out that it was in 'character'.

Duff: Third-person, yea.

Interviewer: Kinda like when Dire Straits' Money For Nothing came out, it had the F word in it, and it was from a character of a homophobe basically criticizing something on MTV, that song got censored as well on radio. Did it surprise you at the time that people didn't get what that song was, that it wasn't coming out of Axl's mouth? Because you said, people in your circle didn't use that language.

Duff: No, um... I was surprised that, it was, yea... we were supposed to play David Geffen's big AIDs benefit in New York a couple months later, we got pulled out of that. I remember getting on a plane, flying back to Seattle, and an African American flight attendant came up and sat down next to me, and said "do you really hate black people?". I'm like "oh fuck", y'know, part of my family is African American, Slash is half, y'know, um, so people didn't kinda put that together. Hopefully now later, people can examine that song, and I think it's brilliant and super brave of Axl to step out and do that. It was public commentary, just like Paradise City is, just like Jungle is, that song was extreme using the verbiage of the street y'know, of ill-informed people, on the street.

Interviewer: Axl's been very vocal on twitter lately, there's a new term, called Woke Axl.

Duff: Is that right? He is woke! I know woke 'cause I'm around teenagers. If you're gonna try to outsmart him, or out-intellectual him, it ain't gonna work.

Edited by Gordon Comstock

4 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Duff, man of letters, has literally zero idea what Third-person means. :lol:

I think there’s a kind of 3rd person that is limited to one character. So it can seem like 1st person to the audience. 

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Interviewer: I understood when that song came out that it was in 'character'.

Interviewer: Kinda like when Dire Straits' Money For Nothing came out, it had the F word in it, and it was from a character of a homophobe basically criticizing something on MTV, that song got censored as well on radio. Did it surprise you at the time that people didn't get what that song was, that it wasn't coming out of Axl's mouth? Because you said, people in your circle didn't use that language.

Duff: No, um... I was surprised that, it was, yea... we were supposed to play David Geffen's big AIDs benefit in New York a couple months later, we got pulled out of that. I remember getting on a plane, flying back to Seattle, and an African American flight attendant came up and sat down next to me, and said "do you really hate black people?". I'm like "oh fuck", y'know, part of my family is African American, Slash is half, y'know, um, so people didn't kinda put that together. Hopefully now later, people can examine that song, and I think it's brilliant and super brave of Axl to step out and do that. It was public commentary, just like Paradise City is, just like Jungle is, that song was extreme using the verbiage of the street y'know, of ill-informed people, on the street.

Interviewer: Axl's been very vocal on twitter lately, there's a new term, called Woke Axl.

Duff: Is that right? He is woke! I know woke 'cause I'm around teenagers. If you're gonna try to outsmart him, or out-intellectual him, it ain't gonna work.

To be fair Axl couched it more as a real song from the streets, him getting off the bus and being scared. He should’ve been very clear it was a character. And maybe had a more overt rejection. Or not. Spin the barrels!

But in a way any song is a character. Even Zack de la Rocha gets off stage and uses electricity to make a Pot Noodle. He can’t embody his songs completely. It really has more to do with what you think the role of a song is. If you are looking for manifestos in rock songs then you will be lead astray. Art makes hypicrites of us all. 

I guess it’s when you have a certain context that you put a song into you have to be careful. It’s not necessarily going to get a nuanced assessment from a panel of geniuses. There are actual Warrant fans out there. 

Edited by wasted

21 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think there’s a kind of 3rd person that is limited to one character. So it can seem like 1st person to the audience.

Third-person cannot say "I" or "you". The entire song is objectively in first-person (verses) and second-person (chorus).

2 minutes ago, magisme said:

Third-person cannot say "I" or "you". The entire song is objectively in first-person (verses) and second-person (chorus).

That’s the basics. There’s two types of Third person. There’s the narrator that is everywhere doing characters. Then there’s one where the writer only has one character but he uses “I” to describe what his character does. Patrick Bateman is a limited Third person narrator I think. 

I might be wrong. This explains it better. 

“There are two types of third-person point of view. A third-person point of view can be omniscient, in which the narrator knows all of the thoughts and feelings of all of the characters in the story, or it can be limited. If it's limited, the narrator only relates his or her own thoughts, feelings, and knowledge of various situations and other characters. Very often new writers feel most comfortable with first-person, perhaps because it seems familiar, but writing in the third-person actually affords a writer much more freedom in how they tell the story.”