Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Miser

Does rock need to get back to being danceable?

Recommended Posts

A lot of people kinda forget that rock was, all the way up to the 70s, a danceable form of music; especially the early rockabilly stuff, and then the blending with funk and disco in the late 70s. In the late 80s, rock became this heavy, droning thing, and that continued into the 90s as rock became darker and darker. The last really big important rock music with the youth was industrial metal ala Rob Zombie, which, well, was pretty danceable.

So question is, do you think rock should combine with today's rhythmic and dance elements to become relevant again with the youth?

Think of a modern version of Another One Bites the Dust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What you describe is surely out there if you look hard enough. Is it relevant with today's youth? No? I guess that answers your question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think that’s the “problem”. All kinds of music are out there, it’s just the vertical or pyramid structure of the industry got destroyed. And kids are just, they don’t have this consumer worshipping mind set. They are more likely to make some shitty damce rock themselves on soundcloud than really line up to follow a big metal band. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you listened to any 'modern rock' radio station in the last few years? lol.

Poppy, electronic-driven shit like Portugal The Man or Phantogram seems like what you're looking for. It's not good, but it's what you're describing. And it's fairly popular.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do you guys want rock to become mainstream again so much? I mean, I'm fine with it not being mainstream. It's not like rock is that good to begin with. Most of the rock bands that become mainstream are terrible, like Greta Van Crap or whatever.

 

Most of the classic bands are all alive and well and filling arenas or stadiums around the world. So I guess billions of people still listen to rock. New bands don't become so popular but if they're truly great they will get a decent fanbase and release good music from time to time.

 

Also, it's not like danceable rock is any better than pop or hip hop. It's mostly shit too. Just enjoy whatever you want, don't feel offended by other people's opinions (remember, these guys don't know you exist, you're wasting your time defending them) and ignore mainstream crap. Your life will get 1000x better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, maynard said:

Most of the classic bands are all alive and well and filling arenas or stadiums around the world

It´s true...Metallica, Megadeth, The Cure, Helloween, Europe, Accept and Saxon are some example of this..

 

6 minutes ago, maynard said:

. Just enjoy whatever you want, don't feel offended by other people's opinions (remember, these guys don't know you exist, you're wasting your time defending them) and ignore mainstream crap. Your life will get 1000x better.

great post and I agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 4:29 PM, maynard said:

Why do you guys want rock to become mainstream again so much? I mean, I'm fine with it not being mainstream. It's not like rock is that good to begin with. Most of the rock bands that become mainstream are terrible, like Greta Van Crap or whatever.

 

Most of the classic bands are all alive and well and filling arenas or stadiums around the world. So I guess billions of people still listen to rock. New bands don't become so popular but if they're truly great they will get a decent fanbase and release good music from time to time.

 

Also, it's not like danceable rock is any better than pop or hip hop. It's mostly shit too. Just enjoy whatever you want, don't feel offended by other people's opinions (remember, these guys don't know you exist, you're wasting your time defending them) and ignore mainstream crap. Your life will get 1000x better.

 

Depends how it's done. When I say "danceable rock" think Another Brick in The Wall, Pt. II. Rock song with a disco beat and funk guitars.

Edited by Miser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/9/2019 at 8:15 AM, magisme said:

Probably the gayest thread of the year so far.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...