magisme

What Is the Most Underrated Band in History and Why Is it Blind Melon?

28 minutes ago, sixes said:

@magisme What is your opinion of the Blind Melon album sans Hoon?

Never listened to it. Objectively speaking, there is no Blind Melon album without Hoon.

1 minute ago, magisme said:

Never listened to it. Objectively speaking, there is no Blind Melon album without Hoon.

I would suggest giving it a listen. I think it may grow on you. I dismissed it at first and it's become a favorite of mine. They are also currently working on a new album supposedly to be released this year.

The song Wishing Well that I posted is from the Hoonless album

5 minutes ago, magisme said:

Agree.  That voice was one in a million.

I particularly liked the Woodstock performance.  He was all fucked up.   He had killer stage presence in just about every video I've seen of him performing live, though.

3 minutes ago, sixes said:

I would suggest giving it a listen. I think it may grow on you. I dismissed it at first and it's become a favorite of mine. They are also currently working on a new album supposedly to be released this year.

The song Wishing Well that I posted is from the Hoonless album

I'll give it a listen, but only if we agree it's not Blind Melon. :lol:

1 minute ago, magisme said:

I'll give it a listen, but only if we agree it's not Blind Melon. :lol:

Hmmm....

I will bite down on my salami and reluctantly agree

On 4/11/2019 at 8:25 PM, wasted said:

Teenage Fanclub seem like my Blind Melon. I thought they would be huge with Bandwagonesque in 91 but it never happened. They went on to release music (always a mistake) in obscurity.

I think Sweet Days Waiting was off Shadows in 2010. Nobody cares. 

Been listening to them a bit since you mentioned them. Good stuff.

Back in the 90s I had a subscription to Details magazine.

Almost a year after his death, they did an in-depth article on Shannon Hoon.  One thing that stuck with me was that his mother's prized possession was a tape of him singing Pink Floyd's "Mother" for her, and she was unaware that the song is really about a horrible overbearing mother that stifles her son.

Still, I sure would love to hear it.  His mom has never released it, as far as I know.

You can read the article here:

http://www.blindmelonarticles.com/pdf/Details_July_1996_01.pdf

14 minutes ago, magisme said:

Been listening to them a bit since you mentioned them. Good stuff.

They don’t have any bad songs but they don’t have any obvious hits either. So on the scrap heap of history I guess. 

Teenage Fanclub?

They were the musical guest when Jason Priestly hosted Saturday Night Live way back in the early 90s.  I think someone thought it would be "cute" cause he was a teen heartthrob at the time, but it sent the message that it was some kind of "joke" band and I think that's why they never caught on in the States.

Apparently one of the members plays in Belle & Sebastian now, cause when I saw them a little over a year ago they mentioned it on stage, and then started riffing on the song "The Concept."   All the indie-music loving Japs in the crowd started singing along, and I had no idea what the song was.  So they must have had a little success in Japan at some point.

On 4/12/2019 at 11:43 AM, EstrangedTWAT said:

Agree.  That voice was one in a million.

I particularly liked the Woodstock performance.  He was all fucked up.   He had killer stage presence in just about every video I've seen of him performing live, though.

Remember the video we discussed of him performing in '95? One of the last performances before his death? It was clear as day that he was in very bad shape and it doesn't seem like there was all that much effort put into helping him or at least, monitoring him. It wasn't a case like Kurt where there weren't all these warning signs besides behavior. He legitimately looked like a person on death's door besides IIRC od'ing already once or twice and no one was keeping an eye on him. It's very sad. And from what I'm reading here, it seems like his death kinda went unnoticed at the time? Making it even more sad.

635806031703345924-img389.jpg?width=3200

Edited by Miser

9 hours ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Teenage Fanclub?

They were the musical guest when Jason Priestly hosted Saturday Night Live way back in the early 90s.  I think someone thought it would be "cute" cause he was a teen heartthrob at the time, but it sent the message that it was some kind of "joke" band and I think that's why they never caught on in the States.

Apparently one of the members plays in Belle & Sebastian now, cause when I saw them a little over a year ago they mentioned it on stage, and then started riffing on the song "The Concept."   All the indie-music loving Japs in the crowd started singing along, and I had no idea what the song was.  So they must have had a little success in Japan at some point.

They have that cute jangly psychedelia they like. The Concept is one of the bigger songs. Star Sign is another. They aren’t punchy or heavy enough to be really big hits. 

They were no 1 indie album in the 91. But I think Oasis blew all those bands away by having a bigger rock sound for stadiums. 

4 hours ago, Miser said:

Remember the video we discussed of him performing in '95? One of the last performances before his death? It was clear as day that he was in very bad shape and it doesn't seem like there was all that much effort put into helping him or at least, monitoring him. It wasn't a case like Kurt where there weren't all these warning signs besides behavior. He legitimately looked like a person on death's door besides IIRC od'ing already once or twice and no one was keeping an eye on him. It's very sad. And from what I'm reading here, it seems like his death kinda went unnoticed at the time? Making it even more sad.

635806031703345924-img389.jpg?width=3200

You have to sell a ton of records before the label hire Doug Goldstein to tackle you in the hotel hallway and drag you to rehab. 

Shannon was in Mank Range. I'm guessing with Paul Huge. If he didn't die maybe CD never would have happened?

I found out he died in 1998 watching Pop-up Video on VH1. I agree it's a shame how forgettable he and the band was. Blind Melon was one of the first albums I ever bought. From what I read, the singer was pretty mean to fans. I won't say I liked the entire album but it had some good songs.

I used to try to find info on the band in the early 2000s but they disappeared. One of the members helped produce Anna Nalick's song Breathe, and I think you can see the possible influence of singing without stopping. They got this other disagreeable singer for a while but never went aware. I haven't really followed them in 10 years.

Edited by meatpuppet