magisme

What Is the Most Underrated Band in History and Why Is it Blind Melon?

1 minute ago, magisme said:

Image result for shannon hoon

Love that album....a lot of the lyrics hit home for me at that time....

I love Soup too....those lyrics hit home for me then, as well

Blind Melon is criminally underrated. As a kid I wore out their debut and Soup.

Teenage Fanclub seem like my Blind Melon. I thought they would be huge with Bandwagonesque in 91 but it never happened. They went on to release music (always a mistake) in obscurity.

I think Sweet Days Waiting was off Shadows in 2010. Nobody cares. 

I liked Blind Melon when they had that one hit song, but that hit song was basically the grunge/alternative version of a power ballad.  Tons of bands at the time were getting big on the backs of power ballad-esque songs.  Blind Melon, a supposedly "rocking" band, found its popularity from that song.  But no one gave a shit about their mediocre hipster rock that followed.  

But since Mags says they're good, I'll have to give them another listen.  I just remember buying that album and being a little bit disappointed.

6 minutes ago, popcorn's snare said:

I liked Blind Melon when they had that one hit song, but that hit song was basically the grunge/alternative version of a power ballad.  Tons of bands at the time were getting big on the backs of power ballad-esque songs.  Blind Melon, a supposedly "rocking" band, found its popularity from that song.  But no one gave a shit about their mediocre hipster rock that followed.  

But since Mags says they're good, I'll have to give them another listen.  I just remember buying that album and being a little bit disappointed.

I prefer their second album

It's weird. Pretty much no one cared when Hoon died. It helps if you have a massive hit single or album out when you die. Galaxy was a cool tune but it didn't hit the mainstream like No Rain. 

Same thing happened with Andrew Wood of Mother Love Bone. 

I think when Kurt killed himself Dave Gahan said he stole his idea. But no one knew who Dave Gahan was other than die hard Depeche Mode fans. 

Good band. Second album is their best by far.

Although Shannon's voice has tendency to grate on my nerves. It's too high pitched and whiny.

9 hours ago, popcorn's snare said:

Try not to think of them as a "rocking" band. They're really not.

On Letterman, the day Kurt Cobain died.

A little more than a year later, Shannon would be gone too, but it was as if no one cared.   Terrible.

"And I don't ever wanna die...."     And he'd be the next one to go, very soon after.  Tragic.

Edited by EstrangedTWAT