Disney or not?

Myself - 
Pocahontas

Hunchback of Notre Dame

Aladdin Trilogy (Disney)

All Dogs Go to Heaven
Heavy Metal 

Titan AE

By far, my favorite animated film of all time is AKIRA.   Nothing else comes close.

For Disney, I've always liked Fantasia and Beauty and the Beast the most.

I don't like CGI animated movies.  It was cool when the first Toy Story came out, but I hate the way it looks now.  I'm much more interested in traditional 2D animation.

9 hours ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

By far, my favorite animated film of all time is AKIRA.   Nothing else comes close.

For Disney, I've always liked Fantasia and Beauty and the Beast the most.

I don't like CGI animated movies.  It was cool when the first Toy Story came out, but I hate the way it looks now.  I'm much more interested in traditional 2D animation.

The interesting thing is, and this is purely my opinion and perhaps nostalgia talking, but I feel even now the original Toy Story is somehow more pleasing to the eye than more modern CGI films. I too share your love of traditional 2D animation. It's an amazing artform that I hope makes a comeback. There's something special about stuff created by humans by hand, with little imperfections and stuff, vsrsus shit modeled to perfection in a computer. 

8 hours ago, arnold layne said:

👎

Why no likee?

Wall-E is like a prophetic masterpiece, the Fantasia of the 21st Century. 

I always get hauled up for comparing things that aren’t as good as each other. 

I think they both sum up the zeitjest. Wall-E has that feel. 

I mean can’t actually watch Fantasia but there are scenes that seem iconic. 

I’ve watched Wall-E many times so I enjoy it’s silent movie parts but then it changes into a very heavy handed prediction of the future. But that was then. We got there really quickly. 

A robot ET chilling in a load of wreckage. I feel you. 

I'm not saying Wall-E was bad, but it was clearly a very heavy handed propaganda vehicle.

Fantasia was more of a celebration of the art form of animation.  No agenda, no story even, just an exploration of what they could do with this new art form at the time.  There are parts of it that are incredibly dull, but I think it holds up strictly because it was such an amazing spectacle at the time.  The "Night on Bald Mountain" sequence is absolutely breathtaking.

38 minutes ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

I'm not saying Wall-E was bad, but it was clearly a very heavy handed propaganda vehicle.

Fantasia was more of a celebration of the art form of animation.  No agenda, no story even, just an exploration of what they could do with this new art form at the time.  There are parts of it that are incredibly dull, but I think it holds up strictly because it was such an amazing spectacle at the time.  The "Night on Bald Mountain" sequence is absolutely breathtaking.

I think Fantasia visual celebration and kind of international universality, with Mickey as the master in Sorcerer’s Aporentice is the feel of the age. That blend of high and low and we are the world Disney thing is as much an agenda as Wall-E. Wall-E is Disney mourning the end of that age of innocence and joy. 

It’s just we are more plugged in to culture now so it’s more obvious. But 20 years from now it will be a similar sign post. It’s kind of weird Disney started by wanting to unite the world and it ended with everyone watch reruns 24/7 in wheelchairs. 

Edited by wasted

Disney : Beauty and the Beast, Alaadin, Lion King

Spirited Away is still my all time favorite Animated Movie

Toy Story 3 and The Original to Catch a Dragon

Can't forget all the Shreks (yes, even Shrek Forever)

There's one fantastic animator and director called Jan Svankmajer.

Ho does mostly stop motion animations. He's great.

4 hours ago, Ragnar said:

There's one fantastic animator and director called Jan Svankmajer.

Ho does mostly stop motion animations. He's great.

I watched his short film "Food" recently, after finding the middle segment while looking for some good short films on Youtube. Quite a trip, favorite was probably the one that I initially saw. Those parts where the face morphs as they eat is creepy as all get out.

Robert Morgan's another good stop motion animator, first film of his I saw was Bobby Yeah, I think. Dunno what it was trying to say but I enjoyed it for the imagery. Lee Hardcastle is pretty great as well.