Sign in to follow this  
Miser

Rolling Stones' Rock & Roll Circus released to select theaters in 4K

Am curious on you guys thoughts on this performance. It's pretty historic in some ways:

-It is the last performance of the original lineup of the Rolling Stones (Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Brian Jones, Bill Wyman, Charlie Watts)

-The only captured performance of Tony Iommi as a member of Jethro Tull

-The only performance of a supergroup called The Dirty Mac which featured John Lennon vocals, Eric Clapton on guitar, Keith Richards on bass, and Mitch Mitchell on drums
-A truly amazing performance by The Who

Brian Jones on slide guitar in one of the last major songs he took part in as a Stone (his last song would be on Let it Bleed on You Got the Silver in 1969). On Beggars he is all over the record, but this is probably his last shining accomplishment besides his parts on Street Fightin' Man.

4439462-6191495-image-a-4_1537487114501.

the-rolling-stones-rock-and-roll-circus

Edited by Miser

Meh. I never rated this and I'm a massive stones fan. 

I prefer the post Brian Jones era. Their hippy period is kind of shit. 

The carry on in this film is cringey now. 

And then there's John Lennon and his screaming wife to add insult to injury. Pair of wankers. 

Brian Jones lol

Jethro Tull lol

Eric Clapton lol

John Lennon lol

Bunch of hippy dippy shit and a load of cunts performing

Brian Jones era Stones mostly sucked, Miser. Deal with it.

You and another retard called Len Cnut are probably two people who like their late 60s period.

Because you two are so cool and edgy.

1 hour ago, Facekicker said:

And then there's John Lennon and his screaming wife to add insult to injury. Pair of wankers. 

Their hippie period really only spared one album (Satanic Majesties) and singles released in one year.

1 hour ago, Ragnar said:

Brian Jones era Stones mostly sucked, Miser. Deal with it.

You and another retard called Len Cnut are probably two people who like their late 60s period.

Because you two are so cool and edgy.

So the following songs all suck:

Little Red Rooster

Tell Me

Carol

I'm Free

Time Is On My Side
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

Heart of Stone
Under My Thumb

Get Off My Cloud

19th Nervous Breakdown

Have You Seen Your Mother Baby (Standing in the Shadows)?
Lady Jane

Mother's Little Helper

Paint it Black

I Am Waiting

Doncha Bother Me

Yesterday's Paper

Ruby Tuesday
She's A Rainbow
2000 Light Years From Home

Citadel

No Expectations

Dear Doctor

Parachute Woman

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Street Fighting Man

All suck? Most of those are blues songs. Their hippie period only lasted for one year in 1967.

1 hour ago, sixes said:

Brian Jones lol

Jethro Tull lol

Eric Clapton lol

John Lennon lol

Bunch of hippy dippy shit and a load of cunts performing

2 hours ago, Facekicker said:

Check out some of the songs I posted above. Beggar's Banquet is a full album done with him and is considered one of their best:

He's on harmonica and acoustic guitar here. Their first country joke song like they'd do on Sticky Fingers and Exile.

36 minutes ago, Miser said:

Little Red Rooster

Tell Me

Carol

I'm Free

Time Is On My Side

Heart of Stone
Under My Thumb

Get Off My Cloud

19th Nervous Breakdown

Lady Jane

Mother's Little Helper

Paint it Black

I Am Waiting

Doncha Bother Me

Yesterday's Paper

Ruby Tuesday
She's A Rainbow

Citadel

No Expectations

Dear Doctor

Parachute Woman

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Street Fighting Man

All suck? Most of those are blues songs. Their hippie period only lasted for one year in 1967.

Most of them do suck, yes.

2 hours ago, Miser said:

Little Red Rooster

Tell Me

Carol

I'm Free

Time Is On My Side

Heart of Stone
Under My Thumb

Get Off My Cloud

19th Nervous Breakdown

Lady Jane

Mother's Little Helper

Paint it Black

I Am Waiting

Doncha Bother Me

Yesterday's Paper

Ruby Tuesday
She's A Rainbow

Citadel

No Expectations

Dear Doctor

Parachute Woman

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Street Fighting Man

Yeah there's good songs there of course, loads in fact. Beggars Banquet is a great album. 

I just prefer the band when Jones was gone. So I guess its that transition period on where I prefer the direction and live performances of the band. 

Keith and Mick took over and it is just overall a better band. 

1 hour ago, Facekicker said:

Give me this 

over this, anytime

Brian Jones might as well not be there. Shaking the maracas like a plank

To be fair, in December 1968 he was a mess emotionally. He had been arrested in May on drug charges and was basically relentlessly treated in the press and honestly thought a long prison sentence had awaited him. He had a rather quick and sad decline between late May and December of 1968. He also felt he was being pushed out and bullied by Mick and Keith. Keith did the same thing to Mick Taylor, which is why he left (Keith would erase Mick Taylor's parts in the studio and also belittle Taylor's playing). They kept Ronnie Wood on salary as an employee for almost 20 years. It took Bill Wyman quitting the band in 1993 for him to be made a full partner and that was only because Bill himself requested they make him a full partner and to fill a void in the legal partnership. There is a lot of shitty things to the Stones' story. Ask Ry Cooder, who was a major session guitarist in the late 60s who played with them in early 1969. He claims to this day that Keith Richards stole quite a few riffs from him.

They sounded very raw in 1967.

2 hours ago, Facekicker said:

Yeah there's good songs there of course, loads in fact. Beggars Banquet is a great album. 

I just prefer the band when Jones was gone. So I guess its that transition period on where I prefer the direction and live performances of the band. 

Keith and Mick took over and it is just overall a better band. 

There really is one period where most of the songs of Taylor period that is so lauded were written: 1969-1970. Most of Sticky Fingers and Exile were written in 1969 and early 1970. Brown Sugar for example was first played live in Dec 1969 but not released until 1971 with Sticky Fingers. Same goes for Loving Cup which was recorded and played live in 1969 but not released until Exile, or Shine A Light, recorded in 1969 and then re-recorded in 1972. It was akin to the UYI records - where most of the best material was recorded in a short span a while before the record itself was.

I mean people talk about the Taylor era but in terms of record performance:

1) Taylor is only on the majority of ONE record: Goat's Head Soup, where he plays more than Keith and wrote more than Keith did. For example, Sticky Fingers: he doesn't play on Brown Sugar at all (he plays on demos, but the actual song is Keith alone). He doesn't play on You Gotta Move or Sister Morphine (the latter is Ry Cooder). On Exile he is mainly on bass (because the sessions were done in a drug filled environment and Bill Wyman was sober, so he didn't attend most of them) and Keith cut most of his parts guitar wise (for example, on Rock's Off, you can literally only hear two seconds of Taylor playing at the very end of the song; the rest was wiped)

2) Most of the songs written during the Taylor era were written before he joined, and songs he helped write, he was denied for (much the same as Brian)

Edited by Miser

Hear is an example of Keith being shitty. Mick Taylor is playing a really good and fluid lead part but compared to Keith's pretty basic rhythm it is buried in the mix.

Or to Brian, he is the very last song he recorded with the band in March 1969. He plays autoharp, the delicate strummed instrument that begins at 35 seconds. It adds a nice balance and country twang to the song to complement the slide guitar Keith is playing. On the studio cut, Keith almost buried the part:

Edited by Miser

One of my favorite mid 60s songs by the Stones, with a rare lead by Brian. Very folky:

A more "rocky" song off Beggar's Banquet

Mick - vocals

Keith - Slide guitar

Brian - Acoustic guitar, melltron (eerie flute sounding instrument)
Bill - Bass
Charlie - Drums
Nicky Hopkins - Piano

Their most punk song lyrically, recorded May 1968. No electric guitars on this despite the electronic sound of the song. Two drum tracks (one recorded on a 1930s Philips Toy drum, one an actual drum). Basic track recorded on a cassette recorder which makes the acoustic guitar and sitar sound distorted and electric. The tanpura is the buzzing sounding instrument during the choruses; the shenai is the horn sounding instrument that comes in during the outro.

Mick - vocals

Keith - Acoustic guitars

Brian - Sitar, Tampura
Bill - Bass
Charlie - Drums
Nicky Hopkins - Piano

Dave Mason - Shenai on outro

Edited by Miser

Recorded 1967:

Mick - vocals

Keith - Guitar

Brian - Mellotron (mandolin setting), flute, saxophone
Bill - Bass
Charlie - Drums

Nicky Hopkins - Piano

Edited by Miser

Lest we also forget one of the most important people in Stones' history, the genius Nicky Hopkins:

Nicky is on piano here.
Brian on melltron (the horn sound)
Charlie on drums
Keith on acoustic guitar

Only reason I'd ever watch this would be for the Who set.  And even then, I sure as hell wouldn't go to a movie theater to see it.