Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ludurigan

Estranged, You Could be Mine, Patience, Locomotive, all post-87 Guns n' Roses songs are "pretty average", says L.A. Guns singer

Recommended Posts

PL_LAG_April_22_2016_4.jpg

 

"The difference between us and Guns N’ Roses is they had one album. Appetite For Destruction is a masterpiece, but everything else isn’t — everything else is pretty average."

 

- Phil Lewis, L.A. Guns singer, 2019

 

 

 

 

http://tonedeaf.thebrag.com/phil-lewis-guns-n-roses-pretty-average/

 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/phil-lewis-says-everything-guns-n-roses-released-after-appetite-for-destruction-has-been-pretty-average/

 

 

Edited by ludurigan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

PL_LAG_April_22_2016_4.jpg

 

"The difference between us and Guns N’ Roses is they had one album. Appetite For Destruction is a masterpiece, but everything else isn’t — everything else is pretty average."

 

- Phil Lewis, L.A. Guns singer, 2019

 

 

 

 

http://tonedeaf.thebrag.com/phil-lewis-guns-n-roses-pretty-average/

 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/phil-lewis-says-everything-guns-n-roses-released-after-appetite-for-destruction-has-been-pretty-average/

 

 

Yeah, and L.A. Guns' music is a masterpiece? 

 

Estranged, Coma, Civil War, You Could Be Mine are some of the best songs by GN'R. And you also have the obvious hits like Don't Cry, LALD, KOHD, November Rain, etc.

 

 

Edited by Soup Nazi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Soup Nazi said:

Yeah, and L.A. Guns' music is a masterpiece? 

 

Estranged, Coma, Civil War, You Could Be Mine are some of the best songs by GN'R. And you also have the obvious hits like Don't Cry, LALD, KOHD, November Rain, etc.

 

 

 

we all know that, don't we?

 

I suppose this guy would give his right nut to have one of these songs on one of his albums

 

except "so fine" and "my word"

 

i am sure he would give his two nuts for those two songs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s almost something to that

in terms of hits. Civil War, Estranged, Coma are classics but not obvious hits. 

 

But Patience, Nov Rain, Don’t Cry, YCBM are all obvious hits to me. 

 

The problem with LA Guns et la is that they were all too generic. If they had a song that wasn’t the obvious hit they just left it as a basic song. Every track just plays out as you expect, some are better than others, a couple have hit potential. 

 

For better or worse GNR never made songs to fill out an album. Axl put nutcrackers on Dead Horse like it mattered and it did. 

Edited by wasted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, wasted said:

There’s almost something to that

in terms of hits. Civil War, Estranged, Coma are classics but not obvious hits. 

 

But Patience, Nov Rain, Don’t Cry, YCBM are all obvious hits to me. 

 

The problem with LA Guns et la is that they were all too generic. If they had a song that wasn’t the obvious hit they just left it as a basic song. Every track just plays out as you expect, some are better than others, a couple have hit potential. 

 

For better or worse GNR never made songs to fill out an album. Axl put nutcrackers on Dead Horse like it mattered and it did. 

i think it was for  the better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

i think it was for  the better

Possibly. Like KISS, whatever song you pick it has the form of a real song. But if GNR you get songs like Double Talkin Jive or variety of Perfect Crime and You Ain’t the First. It’s the difference between Warhol and Picasso. Warhol repeats the same thing, and Picasso keeps changing his chick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wasted said:

Possibly. Like KISS, whatever song you pick it has the form of a real song. But if GNR you get songs like Double Talkin Jive or variety of Perfect Crime and You Ain’t the First. It’s the difference between Warhol and Picasso. Warhol repeats the same thing, and Picasso keeps changing his chick. 

i don't think that i understand what you just said!

 

care to elaborate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

i don't think that i understand what you just said!

 

care to elaborate?

Maybe I misunderstood what you said. I think you said it was better that LA Guns were more generic. More released generic material. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fast forwarded two times randomly clicking and all I heard was "..and, umm..." "...and.. umm..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wasted said:

Maybe I misunderstood what you said. I think you said it was better that LA Guns were more generic. More released generic material. 

oh sorry,

 

you said

2 hours ago, wasted said:

For better or worse GNR never made songs to fill out an album. Axl put nutcrackers on Dead Horse like it mattered and it did. 

i said i thought it was "for the better"

 

then i got lost in your picasso/warhol thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ludurigan said:

oh sorry,

 

you said

i said i thought it was "for the better"

 

then i got lost in your picasso/warhol thing

Oh. Warhol was all about repitition and Picasso has all these different eras. Warhol was probably gay and Pablo banged underage prostates. My bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, wasted said:

Oh. Warhol was all about repitition and Picasso has all these different eras. Warhol was probably gay and Pablo banged underage prostates. My bad. 

oh, ok, so you mean warhol is la guns and picasso is GNR?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How dare somebody not like a band or album or song as much as we do. How dare them have a different opinion!!!! Everybody most love GnR songs because I love them!!!

 

With that said, Phil Lewis has turned into a pretty bitter and crusty old man who is seemingly always griping and complaining. 

 

I dont really care what songs he likes or doesn’t like. He is welcome to love and hate whatever floats his boat. 

 

LA Guns catalog is several rungs underneath GnR’s. They were a C level rock and and a b-level hair metal band. GnR is a hall of fame rock band. But in a positive note for them, LA Guns at least routinely shares new music with their fans. Something Axl is too afraid to do 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2019 at 8:32 PM, ludurigan said:

oh, ok, so you mean warhol is la guns and picasso is GNR?

Yes. But maybe there’s something good about each approach. GNR don’t need as many songs to cover the ground. But if you like a certain thing LA Guns might give more of your favorite ice cream. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, GnRLiars said:

La Guns new album is pretty fucking good 

Yes, I agree. Great album!

I posted some of the songs in this thread:

 

 

They are sounding like GNR will never sound again.

Edited by auad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have LA Guns ever done Zeppelin or Queen type stuff?

 

Even in terms of AFD, GNR had songs like PC and Rocket which have bigger arrangements.

 

Then they go on to do Nov Rain and Coma, Estranged and Locomotive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2019 at 3:03 PM, Soup Nazi said:

Yeah, and L.A. Guns' music is a masterpiece? 

 

Estranged, Coma, Civil War, You Could Be Mine are some of the best songs by GN'R. And you also have the obvious hits like Don't Cry, LALD, KOHD, November Rain, etc.

 

 

The funny thing is most of those songs you listed were written at the same time as AFD (dont cry, nov rain, YCMB).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, auad said:

Yes, I agree. Great album!

I posted some of the songs in this thread:

 

 

They are sounding like GNR will never sound again.

Agreed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...