• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey Ludicrous it's mYstery, no i. 

5 hours ago, Miser said:

Do you think Kurt Cobain would be doing this kinda shit if he was alive?

I mean that honestly. Like, why are all these 90s rockstars like Axl, Duff, Dave Grohl, even Eddie Vedder so blatantly corporate now?

Kurt Cobain rebelled against everything and I think suicide was his only option to rebel against age. 

So to answer your question, no. 

Kurt was the proto type shit millennial.  OOOooOOO I’m sooo edgy. OOOooOOO I’m so unique. OOOooOOO fuck corporate rock. OOOooOOO I don’t give a shit about commercial success. OOOooOOO yeah I’m on the cover of rolling stone, but, in like a cool way. OOOooOOO...oh fuck the kids like us now, how do we keep this going? OOOooOOO, how do we stay relevant?? OOOooOOO stop looking at me!!!! OOOooOOO I’m on rolling stone again, still looking at me??

even his suicide was shit since everyone knows Courtney did it. Fuck him.

Edited by Bobbo
1 minute ago, Bobbo said:

Kurt was the proto type shit millennial.  OOOooOOO I’m sooo edgy. OOOooOOO I’m so unique. OOOooOOO fuck corporate rock. OOOooOOO I don’t give a shit about commercial success. OOOooOOO yeah I’m on the cover of rolling stone, but, in like a cool way. OOOooOOO...oh fuck the kids like us now, how do we keep this going? OOOooOOO, how do we stay relevant?? OOOooOOO stop looking at me!!!!

True. He was an attention seeking whore. Supposedly despised "corporate Rock" but somehow signed a deal with a major recording label and shot multi-million dollar videos.

12 hours ago, Miser said:

Do you think Kurt Cobain would be doing this kinda shit if he was alive?

I mean that honestly. Like, why are all these 90s rockstars like Axl, Duff, Dave Grohl, even Eddie Vedder so blatantly corporate now?

If you’re still alive you are obviously a sell out. 

9 hours ago, Ragnar said:

True. He was an attention seeking whore. Supposedly despised "corporate Rock" but somehow signed a deal with a major recording label and shot multi-million dollar videos.

Bingo. Kunt Cobain courted fame, money and success, then pretended he was too cool for any of those things. He deserved a rancid fleabag like Courtney.

I don't think he was that brilliant though. I think he was limited to one kind of music and he would repeat the same formula over and over until people got sick of Nirvana (as he was doing already). Don't see him as the kind of musician able to reinvent himself. Way overrated, punk as Duff.

somebody transcribed some of it

(http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/duff_mckagan_what_my_life_was_like_before_guns_n_roses.html)

During a conversation with Milana Rabkin Lewis, Duff McKagan talked about his life prior to joining Guns N' Roses, the band's early days, and more.

Asked on what his life was like before GN'R, the bassist replied (via Blabbermouth😞

"I came up in the punk-rock scene of Seattle. I saw The Clash in '79, a band that was so exotic to me. I saw Zeppelin in '77 play [the now-demolished Seattle stadium] The Kingdome. It was enormous, and the band was so small and so far away.

"I saw some other big bands - KISS and whatnot - and the punk rock thing hit, and The Clash were playing right in front of me.

"After the show, they came out into the crowd, and [Joe] Strummer said something on the stage that always left an indentation on me - 'There's no difference between us and you. We're all the same. We're in it together.'

"Thus was born a DIY, punk-rock scene in Seattle. We did everything ourselves - making fliers, booking shows, carting gear, booking VFW halls, lying to the police that it was a teen dance.

"Learning how to do the commerce of that - how to finagle the job you had to get to pay for rehearsal places, for an apartment and for fliers and for gear. You would trade for gear. I started really learning the value of things, and I was really driven.

"Music was going to be my thing. Was I going to make a living at it? That was kind of a joke. It was just my passion, and if I was broke doing my passion, so be it. I had to do it.

"I played in a bunch of bands in Seattle. One of them got signed to Jello Biafra's label [Alternative Tentacles]. We got no money for it, but we put a mark on the American map of punk rock.

"I was working at a restaurant in Seattle, saving my money to move to LA... I moved to LA chasing my dream, and the first people I met was Slash and Steven [Adler] through an ad in the newspaper.

"We met down at Canter's [Deli]. We stared at each other but found that we had a lot of the same musical influences... There was always a missing piece in the tons of bands I was in Seattle.

"I toured. I knew how to book a tour, I knew how to make a flier. But if you're missing a piece in your band, like, there was always a weak link... When the five of us got in a room the first time in Silverlake in a rehearsal place, it was on. You could tell immediately. It was pretty ferocious."

Asked to share a few words of advice to up-and-coming artists, Duff replied:

"My daughter has a band now, and the advice I have for her and what drove is just writing to write songs and believing in yourself. Commerce was not a part of any of it at the beginning. You've got to really believe in your idea.

"We wrote the songs we wrote - we took from our own experiences, melded it together and wrote what became [1987's] 'Appetite for Destruction'. Then we started realizing we had to draw people to clubs. That was the next step.

"Our first gig was to three people. Our second gig was to four. We knew all three and four people who came to our shows... We hustled, and we started to bring in 50 people and 100 people and kept writing those songs, and somehow, those songs identified with our generation.

"They weren't pretty; it wasn't sweet; they weren't love-songs. It was about drugs; it was about the darker side of what we were seeing. We all lived through that early '80s recession. There was no jobs.

"I moved to Hollywood right after the [1984] Olympics, so the cops just left Hollywood and it was the Wild West as far as drugs and crime and whatnot. This is what we're seeing - we're seeing heroin; we're seeing crack - and we wrote about it because it was what we knew."

2 hours ago, ludurigan said:

"My daughter has a band now, and the advice I have for her and what drove is just writing to write songs and believing in yourself. Commerce was not a part of any of it at the beginning. You've got to really believe in your idea.

"We wrote the songs we wrote - we took from our own experiences, melded it together and wrote what became [1987's] 'Appetite for Destruction'. Then we started realizing we had to draw people to clubs. That was the next step.

"Our first gig was to three people. Our second gig was to four. We knew all three and four people who came to our shows... We hustled, and we started to bring in 50 people and 100 people and kept writing those songs, and somehow, those songs identified with our generation.

"They weren't pretty; it wasn't sweet; they weren't love-songs. It was about drugs; it was about the darker side of what we were seeing. We all lived through that early '80s recession. There was no jobs.

"I moved to Hollywood right after the [1984] Olympics, so the cops just left Hollywood and it was the Wild West as far as drugs and crime and whatnot. This is what we're seeing - we're seeing heroin; we're seeing crack - and we wrote about it because it was what we knew."

Yeah, grow a pancreas mate and we'll talk.

4 hours ago, ludurigan said:

somebody transcribed some of it

(http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/duff_mckagan_what_my_life_was_like_before_guns_n_roses.html)

During a conversation with Milana Rabkin Lewis, Duff McKagan talked about his life prior to joining Guns N' Roses, the band's early days, and more.

Asked on what his life was like before GN'R, the bassist replied (via Blabbermouth😞

"I came up in the punk-rock scene of Seattle. I saw The Clash in '79, a band that was so exotic to me. I saw Zeppelin in '77 play [the now-demolished Seattle stadium] The Kingdome. It was enormous, and the band was so small and so far away.

"I saw some other big bands - KISS and whatnot - and the punk rock thing hit, and The Clash were playing right in front of me.

"After the show, they came out into the crowd, and [Joe] Strummer said something on the stage that always left an indentation on me - 'There's no difference between us and you. We're all the same. We're in it together.'

"Thus was born a DIY, punk-rock scene in Seattle. We did everything ourselves - making fliers, booking shows, carting gear, booking VFW halls, lying to the police that it was a teen dance.

"Learning how to do the commerce of that - how to finagle the job you had to get to pay for rehearsal places, for an apartment and for fliers and for gear. You would trade for gear. I started really learning the value of things, and I was really driven.

"Music was going to be my thing. Was I going to make a living at it? That was kind of a joke. It was just my passion, and if I was broke doing my passion, so be it. I had to do it.

"I played in a bunch of bands in Seattle. One of them got signed to Jello Biafra's label [Alternative Tentacles]. We got no money for it, but we put a mark on the American map of punk rock.

"I was working at a restaurant in Seattle, saving my money to move to LA... I moved to LA chasing my dream, and the first people I met was Slash and Steven [Adler] through an ad in the newspaper.

"We met down at Canter's [Deli]. We stared at each other but found that we had a lot of the same musical influences... There was always a missing piece in the tons of bands I was in Seattle.

"I toured. I knew how to book a tour, I knew how to make a flier. But if you're missing a piece in your band, like, there was always a weak link... When the five of us got in a room the first time in Silverlake in a rehearsal place, it was on. You could tell immediately. It was pretty ferocious."

Asked to share a few words of advice to up-and-coming artists, Duff replied:

Great interview. Thanks for sharing. 

GRAMMY WINNER SHOOTER JENNINGS is the guy with the beard right in the center. Right?

D0RVsPnUUAEt2ls.jpg

Guns N’ Roses bassist and New York Times bestselling author DUFF "ROSE", "THE KING OF BEERS" McKAGAN is the one with the hands in his pocket. Right?

So who are these other people?

Session musicians from Nashville?

Shooter's bandmates?

Unemployed friends from Seattle?

Duff's gardeners?

http://citywinery.com/washingtondc/duffmckagan053119.html

About:

GUNS N’ ROSES’ DUFF McKAGAN ANNOUNCES MAY 31st SHOW AT CITY WINERY IN DC

SPECIAL PERFORMANCE WILL SEE McKAGAN BACKED BY GRAMMY WINNER SHOOTER JENNINGS.

As he puts the finishing touches on a much-anticipated solo album, Guns N’ Roses bassist and New York Times bestselling author DUFF McKAGAN has announced a special May 31st show at City Winery in DC. The performance will see McKagan backed by recent Grammy winner Shooter Jennings and his band.

McKagan and Jennings began recording the album back in March 2018, working out of Station House studios, located in Echo Park, CA, where they wrote and recorded in-between McKagan’s tour with seminal rock band Guns N’ Roses and the release of Jennings’ eponymous album,Shooter.

The album will be McKagan’s musical follow-up to 2015’s bestselling book, How To Be A Man (And Other Illusions).

“Before beginning this project, I was asked more than a few times if I was going to write a book on my experience during the two-and-a-half year GN’R Not In This Lifetime... tour. While, of course, it had been an amazing experience, in the end I decided the ideas swirling around in my head were better suited for a record.

The heartbreak, anger, fear, confusion and divide I have experienced traveling this globe of ours coerced these words into songs that tell my truth, and one that I hope will spread and help us all.”

“From the first night we sat together at my piano hashing out arrangements of his songs, before going into the studio to record them, I felt it was a really important record that had to be heard,” says Jennings. “The songs have so much heart and are so musical that I could just hear all the arrangements immediately and I could really feel them.”

About his connection to McKagan, Jennings says, “I met Duff right after I moved to Los Angeles nearly twenty years ago. I was such a massive Guns N' Roses fan when I was younger. I'd say that they had a lot to do with me even moving to LA. But there was some kind of magnetic force I guess that kept us orbiting each other over the years. When the idea of collaborating with him on this album came up, I was very eager to get the job as producer. I felt like the music this man made was part of the fabric of my own musical identity and that I would really love building a record with him. Once we sat down and started going over the songs he had, I instantly knew that the two of us were going to be a great fit together.”

• John Bonham changed the title to ludurigan's Duff McKagan "Punk as Fuck" Blabbermouth Dump