Sign in to follow this  
Miser

Many Saints of Newark (Sopranos prequel)

Tells Furio not to cry over his father's recent death from cancer; cries in his shrink's office over a dead horse.

and all of those vulnerable parts of tony are balanced out by the more public half of his personality and his rugged exterior, neither of which i'm convinced michael will be able to pull off

hence soy-prano

2 minutes ago, Alex Trebek said:

and all of those vulnerable parts of tony are balanced out by the more public half of his personality and his rugged exterior, neither of which i'm convinced michael will be able to pull off

hence soy-prano

How about see the kid in action and how he actually acts first before you judge, eh?

6 minutes ago, Alex Trebek said:

when the show comes out i will

until then i'll judge based on the fact that he looks like a vegan tony soprano

Looks can be deceiving. Look at a (distant) cousin of mine, Joe "Crazy Joe" Gallo. Pretty boy, yet one of the more vicious Mafiosos in the 60s and 70s who kept a lion in his basement and took on a Boss
Joey-Gallo-mugshot.jpg

1531334347_295_how-crazy-joe-gallo-start

Looked like a fucking member of a boy band.

Edited by Miser

5 minutes ago, Alex Trebek said:

hence soy-prano

He probably wont have to pull them off because these parts of his personality have not been developed at this time. Hes probably just a side character. 

46 minutes ago, Miser said:

By want more Sopranos, what do you mean exactly? Because you're getting a lot of the original characters who were in the show - just younger. You're also getting new faces, like we got every season. I think there's enough to it that could hook mob movie fans beyond just Sopranos fans. The Chrissy story and this prequel are the same movie....?

What's the dynamic in the Sopranos, really? A guy in the Mafia struggling with two families. One blood, the other bloody.

The mixture that made The Sopranos good was the balance of Family vs. family. Tony's mafia family versus his blood family, and him having to juggle both needs and wants in a changing period of time (1990s-early 00s). We'll see what the crisis is in this story but I can think of no period of greater change than the 60s and 70s and being in the Mafia in that era, being Italian in that era, was pretty challenging. Besides the fact that the Mafia then was both at its height and at its bloodiest, and the nuclear family was starting to disintegrate. There's a lot of cultural things that could be played upon here, as the Sopranos wove the cultural themes of American decay in the late 90s and mid 00s.

I think people want the same actors and same mix of comedy violence and innovative stories per episode. The overall story arch of the families isn’t that important. So that is where prequels fall down sometimes. The spend time on the story but in the end no Adrianna. No Chrissy on heroin. Like I said before Sopranos worked because Tony was in therapy. The audience had a get out clause for rooting for the killer thug. 

I think you enjoyed the show on a deeper level than me. Maybe I enjoyed it on a more voyeuristic level. There was also this thing where although they were all criminal murders they had very similar lives to us. You could still relate to their problems. A family drama like you said. 

1 minute ago, Miser said:

Looks can be deceiving. Look at a (distant) cousin of mine, Joe "Crazy Joe" Gallo. Pretty boy, yet one of the more vicious Mafiosos in the 60s and 70s who kept a lion in his basement and took on a Boss
Joey-Gallo-mugshot.jpg

Looked like a fucking member of a boy band.

nah look at that jawline, he'd kick my dad's ass

6 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think people want the same actors and same mix of comedy violence and innovative stories per episode. The overall story arch of the families isn’t that important. So that is where prequels fall down sometimes. The spend time on the story but in the end no Adrianna. No Chrissy on heroin. Like I said before Sopranos worked because Tony was in therapy. The audience had a get out clause for rooting for the killer thug. 

I think you enjoyed the show on a deeper level than me. Maybe I enjoyed it on a more voyeuristic level. There was also this thing where although they were all criminal murders they had very similar lives to us. You could still relate to their problems. A family drama like you said. 

I enjoyed it cause I could relate to all the characters. When I watch the show it's like going to a family reunion. Both the way the guys are, how they talk, how they carry themselves, and the dysfunction in Tony's family (his mom, I mean), this is what I grew up with. When I watch it, it's like going back to when I was a kid, seeing my uncles and my grandpa and whatnot. I come from a family that kisses on the cheeks when greeting and my grandparents had plastic on the furniture as late as the 90s. Parties were full of Frank, Dean, and Doo Wop. So for me, The Sopranos is the closest thing to seeing "my people" on screen that I can get. My grandpa's voice and accent sounded exactly like John Gotti. My dad and I say "rad-e-ator" like Phil Leotardo does. We say "youse." These are my kinda people.

Edited by Miser

wait what

based as fuck if true

He kept a lion in his basement to scare debtors, and he and his brothers Larry and Albert took on their Boss in a civil war and it's believed that Joey was one of the shooters of Albert Anastasia (Boss of the Gambinos before Carlo Gambino - Carlo masterminded the hit as Underboss and then assigned 4 shooters) and that he also had Joe Colombo shot on Carlo Gambino's orders. His brother Albert is still alive and active in LCN. Larry was killed not long after Joey was if I remember right. Joey, like Tony Soprano, was shot to death in a restaurant by surprise while out with his loved ones (on his birthday, actually) in retaliation for the hit on Colombo.

Edited by Miser

My great grandpa was a made guy who was highly respected in the neighborhood. He did 5 years in Sing Sing prison on an arson bid while keeping silent. Was personal friends of Meyer Lansky. Owned a race track. We still have a bronze statue he had made of a prize horse he treasured. I'll put a pic up if anyone is interested, it's a gorgeous horse. He died at 40 years old. Used to have my grandpa help him fix varsity track and football games, my grandpa would tell him tips on which players had a bum leg, which guy was slower, etc. My grandpa could easily have followed in his footsteps but he watched how his mother struggled while his dad was in jail, when the whole thing was that these guys are supposed to help each other out; after that his attitude was 'fuck them.' 

Edited by Miser

now i want tony to have a distant cousin on the show who spends all of his time analyzing dion from dion and the belmonts' hairline

I'm passed all that stupid shit. I spent a long time mentally remaining 16. Only hairline I even give a shit about now is mine. I had shoulder length hair last year, cut it very short. I got rid of most of my t-shirts and dress in polos and slacks nowadays with a leather jacket I've had since I was 16 or 17 years old, a leather blazer. I don't wear jeans anymore. The last few months I've really recovered myself as I was always supposed to be.

24 minutes ago, Miser said:

I enjoyed it cause I could relate to all the characters. When I watch the show it's like going to a family reunion. Both the way the guys are, how they talk, how they carry themselves, and the dysfunction in Tony's family (his mom, I mean), this is what I grew up with. When I watch it, it's like going back to when I was a kid, seeing my uncles and my grandpa and whatnot. I come from a family that kisses on the cheeks when greeting and my grandparents had plastic on the furniture as late as the 90s. Parties were full of Frank, Dean, and Doo Wop. So for me, The Sopranos is the closest thing to seeing "my people" on screen that I can get. My grandpa's voice and accent sounded exactly like John Gotti. My dad and I say "rad-e-ator" like Phil Leotardo does. We say "youse." These are my kinda people.

I think I saw it as a more realistic portrayal of gangsters, like I said continuing from Goodfellas. The fact that it was better than the movies and more relatable is why it’s so popular. Everyone knows these kind of people they just aren’t italian and kill people. Trainspotting is like that maybe. 

But back to the new show, I hope they can retain that mixture of violence and comedy. I’m sure they will. They might not be able to get everyone as onboard without those actors or that therapy device. It was kind of for smart people. Then because of the story roots the family element is there. So it basically comes down to tracksuits. How pivotal are they to my enjoyment of the Sopranos. 

Edited by wasted

19 minutes ago, Miser said:

I'm passed all that stupid shit. I spent a long time mentally remaining 16. Only hairline I even give a shit about now is mine. I had shoulder length hair last year, cut it very short. I got rid of most of my t-shirts and dress in polos and slacks nowadays with a leather jacket I've had since I was 16 or 17 years old, a leather blazer. I don't wear jeans anymore. The last few months I've really recovered myself as I was always supposed to be.

My style icons are John Candy and Meat Loaf at this point. White guys should dress like shit. Match shorts with shoes and a random shirt. Swim shorts and beater in the summer. Flip flops are out though. You can’t drink in flip flops. 

Edited by wasted

33 minutes ago, Miser said:

My great grandpa was a made guy who was highly respected in the neighborhood. He did 5 years in Sing Sing prison on an arson bid while keeping silent. Was personal friends of Meyer Lansky. Owned a race track. We still have a bronze statue he had made of a prize horse he treasured. I'll put a pic up if anyone is interested, it's a gorgeous horse. He died at 40 years old. Used to have my grandpa help him fix varsity track and football games, my grandpa would tell him tips on which players had a bum leg, which guy was slower, etc. My grandpa could easily have followed in his footsteps but he watched how his mother struggled while his dad was in jail, when the whole thing was that these guys are supposed to help each other out; after that his attitude was 'fuck them.' 

So you could relate when Tony killed Ralphy because he killed his horse. Pie O My? Again that humanized Tony. He likes horses, I like horses. He kills people because they kill horses. I like him. 

Dickie Moltisanti beats up Joey Diaz

y35o7lfp4yy21.jpg

Johnny Boy and Livia Soprano (Vera Farmiga), Tony's parents
7DQfvrF.jpg