Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Miser

Many Saints of Newark (Sopranos prequel)

Recommended Posts

They need to take the soy out of Tony's diet ASAP.

 

Excited for Bernthal. He's good at violent hothead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alabama, where’s my money and where’s my coke?

 

I don’t know but there’s a Pepsi machine down the hall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh, I’m not expecting much. Prequels are usually pretty much shit and boring. You can only do so much within the parameters of where we know the story has to go. So you can only take so many creative leaps and bounds. 

Edited by Bobbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Season 4 of Sopranos is pretty good. 

 

I’ve wasted many nights not watching Sopranos, scrolling through Netflix looking for something unhorremdous. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, wasted said:

Season 4 of Sopranos is pretty good. 

 

I’ve wasted many nights not watching Sopranos, scrolling through Netflix looking for something unhorremdous. 

I was very late to the Sopranos. A friend of mine sent me the YouTube of Christopher’s intervention for some reason 🤣 and I thought fuck it. Why haven’t I ever given this a fair shot before? Summer of 2016 I watched the whole thing from back to front and can’t believe I had to suffer through so much trial and error when I could’ve dove my feet into this much sooner.

Edited by Bobbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also amazing how, especially in the later seasons, Carmella could go from full milf to “why’d Tony settle for this in the first place”? within mere minutes 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bobbo said:

I was very late to the Sopranos. A friend of mine sent me the YouTube of Christopher’s intervention for some reason 🤣 and I thought fuck it. Why haven’t I ever given this a fair shot before? Summer of 2016 I watched the whole thing from back to front and can’t believe I had to suffer through so much trial and error when I could’ve dove my feet into this much sooner.

I didn’t watch it live all the way through. But as soon as dvd came out I got the boxsets. People say they watched season 1 then didn’t watch the rest. Complete hipsters. It’s not Breaking Bad you can just watch any episode out of order and it’s better than anything else that’s ever been on tv. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bobbo said:

Also amazing how, especially in the later seasons, Carmella could go from full milf to “why’d Tony settle for this in the first place”? within mere minutes 🤣

She always looked better after Tony beat someone to death in Bada bings for no reason. That’s when she’d have the pasta and cold cuts and a jar of mayo ready for him. Suddenly they were teenagers again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also discovered Little Steven & The Disciples of Soul through Sopranos. Inside of Me is one of my favorite songs of all time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very excited about this. I still think the Sopranos is the greatest show of all time, so I have high hopes for this.

 

 

On 4/5/2019 at 7:57 AM, Miser said:


They're saying it'll be in periods where his father was in jail. 
Yes but I would argue that given Tony's psyche, that bond to Dickie was the LAST thing protecting Chris in his subconscious. Him destroying his hero's image is what fully broke the camel's back. Arguably it started with the whole Adriana situation, but Dickie was the final straw.
 

 

I agree with you, but I think it was the control that Tony had over Christopher that was lost. Tony no longer had the power over Christopher, and Tony being the way he was always needed to control him.

He even tell hims when to flip the meat in that scene. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 7:44 AM, magisme said:

They need to take the soy out of Tony's diet ASAP.

 

Excited for Bernthal. He's good at violent hothead.

Can you give me some examples? Johnny's an important character to the mythology of the series in that he literally made Tony who he was. Tony copies his father down to even his fashion sense. He gave Tony his first murder contract when T was 22. Bernthal just looks too...nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also need to bear in mind that they're basing how Tony looked and dressed in the 70s on how Gandolfini did. They did the same thing in the S5 flashback to 1976: Tony is slim, with Welcome Back Kotter hair, dressed in baseball clothes. That's how Gandolfini looked to a T when he was a teen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Miser said:

Can you give me some examples? Johnny's an important character to the mythology of the series in that he literally made Tony who he was. Tony copies his father down to even his fashion sense. He gave Tony his first murder contract when T was 22. Bernthal just looks too...nice.

Fury, Sicario, The Accountant, The Punisher. He does some good stuff in all of those. Of course he was a bit of a live wire in The Walking Dead too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what parallels will be drawn to AJ. I sort of remember the end of Sopranos that AJ was becoming more gangster even though Tony didn’t think he was going to be like that. So was Tony’s problem trying to have a facade of a upper middle class life. Whereas his dad probably was living a more realer life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, magisme said:

Fury, Sicario, The Accountant, The Punisher. He does some good stuff in all of those. Of course he was a bit of a live wire in The Walking Dead too.


I've seen clips. I'm not denying he can be scary but the original actor had a certain authentic scariness, a sleaziness to him, I mean watch the flashbacks:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, wasted said:

I wonder what parallels will be drawn to AJ. I sort of remember the end of Sopranos that AJ was becoming more gangster even though Tony didn’t think he was going to be like that. So was Tony’s problem trying to have a facade of a upper middle class life. Whereas his dad probably was living a more realer life. 


Well apparently according to Carmella, when they were teenagers Tony was the 'rapscallion, the jokester, the class clown" and that's what drew her to him. Underneath it  maybe he was struggling with depression. But he wasn't the mopey, miserable little prick that AJ was, at least according to Carmella. Pussy and Chris both remark how at one time, Tony was one of the most laid back guys on Earth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Miser said:


Well apparently according to Carmella, when they were teenagers Tony was the 'rapscallion, the jokester, the class clown" and that's what drew her to him. Underneath it  maybe he was struggling with depression. But he wasn't the mopey, miserable little prick that AJ was, at least according to Carmella. Pussy and Chris both remark how at one time, Tony was one of the most laid back guys on Earth.

It just seemed like AJ was coming out of that mopey thing and also giving up trying to go straight. I remember him driving away from school in a benzo not caring anymore. Each has their path but they always end up in the life. AJ would peobably end up being another Tony. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 1:48 PM, wasted said:

It just seemed like AJ was coming out of that mopey thing and also giving up trying to go straight. I remember him driving away from school in a benzo not caring anymore. Each has their path but they always end up in the life. AJ would peobably end up being another Tony. 

Hardly. Tony made clear that he never believed AJ could stand his ground in his business. Look what happened when he tried to kill uncle june. Or how he gave away his bike to avoid a conflict with that puerto rican whores neighbors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JeanGenie said:

Hardly. Tony made clear that he never believed AJ could stand his ground in his business. Look what happened when he tried to kill uncle june. Or how he gave away his bike to avoid a conflict with that puerto rican whores neighbors. 

In the last few eps AJ seemed to give less of a shit. I remember him driving away from his school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, wasted said:

In the last few eps AJ seemed to give less of a shit. I remember him driving away from his school. 

Well after he even failed to off himself he had his shit together but thats still far away from being a gangster. I mean the drive to become a gangster is to make it. Tony grew up in the italian neighborhood. His father wanted to have success and get out. Look how AJ grew up. In a million dollar mansion taking everything for granted. AJ would have gone the same way as Jackie Jr. if he had tried to work for his father. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, JeanGenie said:

Well after he even failed to off himself he had his shit together but thats still far away from being a gangster. I mean the drive to become a gangster is to make it. Tony grew up in the italian neighborhood. His father wanted to have success and get out. Look how AJ grew up. In a million dollar mansion taking everything for granted. AJ would have gone the same way as Jackie Jr. if he had tried to work for his father. 

Maybe, the vibe I got that AJ was over going straight. He might not be like the boss but who knows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...