Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Miser

Many Saints of Newark (Sopranos prequel)

Recommended Posts

Anyone know about this?

its gonna come out in 2020. Its partly about the rise of Tony Soprano, and also about him being mentored by Christopher's father Dickie. Film is gonna be set between the Newark riots in 67 and the 70s. 

 

Cast so far -

 

Alessandro Nivola - Dickie Moltisanti

 

Michael Gandolfini (James Gandolfini's son) - teenage/young adult Tony

 

Vera Farmiga - likely to play Livia Soprano, Tony's mom

 

Jon Bernthal - likely to play Tony's dad

 

Ray Liotta  - unknown part

 

Billy Magnussen - rumored to play young Paulie Walnuts

 

Corey Stoll - rumored to play young Uncle Junior

 

also cast a hot Italian born actress who is gonna play Dickie's love interest - an Italian immigrant coming to 1967 America. Part of the plot besides Tony's rise will include Dickie romancing his father's (an older mob Captain, probably Liotta) young wife. 

 

The black guy from Hamilton will also be in it, having a beef with Dickie.

 

am I the only one cautiously optimistic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John Bonham said:

It is just going to be called Newark.

Also, cautiously optimistic

 

The reports I heard said dropping the Many Saints Of was a misprint 

 

the things I worry about

 

1) injecting modern SJW stuff into the late 60s context since it's gonna take place partially during one of the most brutal race riots in recent history

 

2) The actors will be too "pretty" and not authentic enough. Sopranos starred mostly unknowns who really looked and acted like they could be Mobsters.  I grew up in a Bensonhurst Italian family. Italian to the extent that my grandparents had their furniture covered in plastic when I was a kid and we greet by kissing each other on the cheeks and all our family parties feature Dino and Sinatra. My uncle is an acne scar covered guy who was a bookie and almost got killed doing it. My great grandpa was a personal friend of Meyer Lansky and did 5 years in Sing Sing on an arson bid. We still have a bronze statue of a prize horse he had made - his Pie Oh My. I'm related to Joey Gallo on my dad's side and Al Capone on my mom's. Only reason my family isn't involved in it anymore is because my grandpa hated the Mafia for how they didn't help his mother while his dad was inside.

 

my point is, watching the Sopranos, I felt like I related to these characters. Like they could be my family. Them being unknown, ugly guys with limited range sold it.

 

im worried that these actors will be too prim, too proper, too good as to not be relatable.

 

I also hope it doesn't focus so much on Tony because the most interesting parts of his story we already saw. We know Tony robs Feech's card game, commits his first murder at 22 in 1982 on his father's orders, becomes a Captain and then Boss and then probably dies. It's like Anakin Skywalker becoming Darth Vader - we didn't need that story. We already knew the most interesting broad strokes.

 

Now if it focuses on Dickie and Tony's dad? That'd be cool. That'd be like if the Star Wars prequels were about young Obi Wan's adventures

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Facekicker said:

Ugh not sure about that director. But Chase is producer so hopefully he is hands on 

Alan Taylor did do a lot of episodes of the Sopranos and quite a few Game of Thrones so there is that. Also Chase wrote the script.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Miser said:

 

1) injecting modern SJW stuff into the late 60s context since it's gonna take place partially during one of the most brutal race riots in recent history

 

dcdl48p3vcj21.jpg

 

I hope they keep the long title.  At first I thought it was overly long and pretentious on purpose, to draw attention to itself, but I got used to it.  Now just saying "Newark" sounds dumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

dcdl48p3vcj21.jpg

 

I hope they keep the long title.  At first I thought it was overly long and pretentious on purpose, to draw attention to itself, but I got used to it.  Now just saying "Newark" sounds dumb.

Im not sure what the title is, but I will say that calling just calling it Newark could be setting it up to be maybe an anthology series of some sort

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Facekicker said:

ac25-JAN-WEB-tv-the-sopranos.jpg?f=16x9&

 

If he nails his performance and it has a good script this could be great. 

All the actors they ever got to play young Tony did well. This is a flashback set around the same time the movie will be so probably how Tony will look

 

 

 

And yes Gandolfini was actually slim like that and had long hair a thing that age 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony was born in 59. So by 67 he would be 8. He became a made guy in 82. This appears not to be the most interesting time in Ts life. However the Sopranos is the best TV show ever. David Chase basicly wanted to fuck Hollywood in the arse.  So as long as hes onboard I think we wont have to worry about SJW.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JeanGenie said:

Tony was born in 59. So by 67 he would be 8. He became a made guy in 82. This appears not to be the most interesting time in Ts life. However the Sopranos is the best TV show ever. David Chase basicly wanted to fuck Hollywood in the arse.  So as long as hes onboard I think we wont have to worry about SJW.  


Thing is he's not the focus. Dickie Moltisanti is. Rather than give the audience exactly what they want and do a George Lucas "let's fill in every single blank in Tony's life" prequel, they're telling the tale of one of his mentors and father figures who he grew up idolizing. Throughout the show, part of the reason Tony coddles Chris and lets him get away with so much was because Dickie, as Tony says was "my me to him." When Melfi says, "a mentor?" he says "Yeah but more than that. The kind of guy you could look up to, a friend. And the hope is that you pass that shit down, the respect, and the love." He's genuinely devastated when Chris shatters his lifelong illusion of Dickie by saying he "wasn't much more than a fucking junkie." He kills Chris the next episode. That's how strong the illusion of this big tough guy Dickie was for Tony. He told Chris his father single handedly hunted down a whole New England crew, and he was killed bringing home TV trays when Chris was an infant by a cop on the take supposedly over a jail feud - he took some guy's eye out for hurting a prison friend. Dickie, Johnny Boy, and Paulie were all like heroes to Tony and Dickie was basically like a surrogate father since his own wasn't around. That's what this is going to show.

Edited by Miser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Tony drive Christopher to a diner where the guy who killed his dad is having a party. Christophe follows him back and kills him. 

 

They should do a show called Pine Barrens which about all the hits. Each week they kill a guy and bury him in the Pine Barrens. It would just be some guys bullshitting around a pool

table. Then driving to do the hit. Tarantino could do it. No narrative just icing people in

the pine barrens. 

Edited by wasted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wasted said:

Does Tony drive Christopher to a diner where the guy who killed his dad is having a party. Christophe follows him back and kills him. 

 

They should do a show called Pine Barrens which about all the hits. Each week they kill a guy and bury him in the Pine Barrens. It would just be some guys bullshitting around a pool

table. Then driving to do the hit. Tarantino could do it. No narrative just icing people in

the pine barrens. 


Yes he does.

Apparently this movie is gonna have a scene in Holstein's, the diner where Tony was killed in. Tony does seem to have anxiety about going in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Miser said:


Yes he does.

Apparently this movie is gonna have a scene in Holstein's, the diner where Tony was killed in. Tony does seem to have anxiety about going in there.

The way I saw the ending and whole series was that when Tony was in therapy he could kind of handle that he could get killed at any time but out of therapy he was freaking out. That translates to the audience kind of being okay when Tony was in therapy, he wasn’t just a thug killer, he was a victim or sensitive. It made him more relatable. So once out of therapy you finally see how and who he really is. The show doesn’t work unless Tony is in therapy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, wasted said:

The way I saw the ending and whole series was that when Tony was in therapy he could kind of handle that he could get killed at any time but out of therapy he was freaking out. That translates to the audience kind of being okay when Tony was in therapy, he wasn’t just a thug killer, he was a victim or sensitive. It made him more relatable. So once out of therapy you finally see how and who he really is. The show doesn’t work unless Tony is in therapy. 

 

Well Chase said the therapy was designed to be sort of a Greek Chorus, a look inside Tony's head for us. It humanizes him. Without the therapy it's just a mafia show.

Also, tell me what you think of this little theory: The therapy kept him alive and out of jail:

1) In Season 1 after Jackie dies a war is going to happen between Uncle Junior and Tony for the top spot. Melfi unknowingly gives Tony the idea of making Junior the fake boss by telling him elders need the "illusion of control."

2) Through working with Melfi he's able to get in better touch with his subconscious. This allows him to have the dreams which tell him Pussy is a rat (keeping him from jail) and the Test Dream, which tells him he's gonna need to kill Tony B to survive.

There's other things but off the top of my head - basically, him going to therapy balanced him in a way that he could function.

After Melfi dumps him he acts weird. Even after being told by Harris that NY is gonna try to have him killed, he doesn't have the family bunker down immediately. He goes out to Artie's fucking restaurant for fuck's sake with Bobby and Sil after learning the news - not the best idea if you know NY already has a contract out on you.

He doesn't stop to consider that he can't get away with murdering a Boss of one of the Five Families without the Commission's consent, or that Butch might be setting him up, or that Butch's truce might be phony to get Tony to lower his guard. 

His whole expression when he goes into Holstein's just says to me that somehow, on some level, he knew he'd be killed there:
screenshot-22.png?w=450

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Miser said:

 

Well Chase said the therapy was designed to be sort of a Greek Chorus, a look inside Tony's head for us. It humanizes him. Without the therapy it's just a mafia show.

Also, tell me what you think of this little theory: The therapy kept him alive and out of jail:

1) In Season 1 after Jackie dies a war is going to happen between Uncle Junior and Tony for the top spot. Melfi unknowingly gives Tony the idea of making Junior the fake boss by telling him elders need the "illusion of control."

2) Through working with Melfi he's able to get in better touch with his subconscious. This allows him to have the dreams which tell him Pussy is a rat (keeping him from jail) and the Test Dream, which tells him he's gonna need to kill Tony B to survive.

There's other things but off the top of my head - basically, him going to therapy balanced him in a way that he could function.

After Melfi dumps him he acts weird. Even after being told by Harris that NY is gonna try to have him killed, he doesn't have the family bunker down immediately. He goes out to Artie's fucking restaurant for fuck's sake with Bobby and Sil after learning the news - not the best idea if you know NY already has a contract out on you.

He doesn't stop to consider that he can't get away with murdering a Boss of one of the Five Families without the Commission's consent, or that Butch might be setting him up, or that Butch's truce might be phony to get Tony to lower his guard. 

His whole expression when he goes into Holstein's just says to me that somehow, on some level, he knew he'd be killed there:
screenshot-22.png?w=450

Yeah I think so the reality of the show and the audiences’ sympathy for Tony ended. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Miser said:


Thing is he's not the focus. Dickie Moltisanti is. Rather than give the audience exactly what they want and do a George Lucas "let's fill in every single blank in Tony's life" prequel, they're telling the tale of one of his mentors and father figures who he grew up idolizing. Throughout the show, part of the reason Tony coddles Chris and lets him get away with so much was because Dickie, as Tony says was "my me to him." When Melfi says, "a mentor?" he says "Yeah but more than that. The kind of guy you could look up to, a friend. And the hope is that you pass that shit down, the respect, and the love." He's genuinely devastated when Chris shatters his lifelong illusion of Dickie by saying he "wasn't much more than a fucking junkie." He kills Chris the next episode. That's how strong the illusion of this big tough guy Dickie was for Tony. He told Chris his father single handedly hunted down a whole New England crew, and he was killed bringing home TV trays when Chris was an infant by a cop on the take supposedly over a jail feud - he took some guy's eye out for hurting a prison friend. Dickie, Johnny Boy, and Paulie were all like heroes to Tony and Dickie was basically like a surrogate father since his own wasn't around. That's what this is going to show.

Tonys father died in 86. So he was around. But ok if its about Dickie it makes sense. 

Chris saying Dickie was a junky destroyed his relationship with tony but their relationship was on a decline way  before.

 

Tony was relieved after he killed Chris because he knew that he was a loose canon. Remember that Chris assumed that Tone fucked Adriana and his portrayal in Cleaver, which Tony took as a personal insult. Also remember that Chris fucked julianna skiff that didnt help neither. All in all Chris had it coming a long time.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sopranos-5-1024x768.jpg

Extras

The movie was filming the other day apparently in my neighborhood but I had no idea 😕 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2019 at 2:05 PM, JeanGenie said:

Tonys father died in 86. So he was around. But ok if its about Dickie it makes sense. 

Chris saying Dickie was a junky destroyed his relationship with tony but their relationship was on a decline way  before.

 

Tony was relieved after he killed Chris because he knew that he was a loose canon. Remember that Chris assumed that Tone fucked Adriana and his portrayal in Cleaver, which Tony took as a personal insult. Also remember that Chris fucked julianna skiff that didnt help neither. All in all Chris had it coming a long time.   


They're saying it'll be in periods where his father was in jail. 
Yes but I would argue that given Tony's psyche, that bond to Dickie was the LAST thing protecting Chris in his subconscious. Him destroying his hero's image is what fully broke the camel's back. Arguably it started with the whole Adriana situation, but Dickie was the final straw.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First pic of Michael Gandolfini in character as a teenage Tony Soprano

y5eJgDj.jpg

 

 

Edited by Miser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...