Sign in to follow this  
Skeeter

Baseball - 2019 Official Thread

On 11/4/2019 at 8:55 PM, Skeeter said:

Also....idiotic that MLB hasn’t announced their awards yet. 

They delay it every year, probably because they want to give the World Champions a full week of attention first.

At least they announced the finalists this week :shrugs:

2 hours ago, bran said:

@The Linguini Occurrence? How do you see the Mookie Betts situation playing out now Martinez didn't opt out?

Seems like a no-brainer, take the Chapman approach by trading him this winter and then trying to re-sign him next winter.

He's not gonna sign a contract with anyone until he goes free agent anyway, so might as well get some much-needed young cheap talent for him.

Dude is gonna earn $30M next year, making it nearly impossible to get the Sox below $208M which is what they want to do.

Arbitration system is fucked up, no team should be forced to pay that kind of money for a player with less than 6 years of service.  It's like forcing a team to give a player free agent money before they are eligible for free agency.

Can somebody help me understand what's the infatuation with Zack Wheeler?

Dude will be 30 in May and has pitched only 3 full seasons and is coming off a very average 3.96 ERA  1.259 WHIP year, and he gets $118M ????  Seriously???

Do teams get THAT much of a hard-on from guys who can bring the heat?

Seems like the Phillies want to steal every big name player from their division rivals, now they're talking to Strasburg.

On 12/5/2019 at 10:11 AM, arnold layne said:

I am no longer a fan of the Minnesota Twins. 

They made some interesting moves. You're still in a better position than my jays.

wonder if I'll be followed into this thread as well...

On 12/4/2019 at 6:28 PM, The Linguini Occurrence? said:

Can somebody help me understand what's the infatuation with Zack Wheeler?

Dude will be 30 in May and has pitched only 3 full seasons and is coming off a very average 3.96 ERA  1.259 WHIP year, and he gets $118M ????  Seriously???

Do teams get THAT much of a hard-on from guys who can bring the heat?

Seems like the Phillies want to steal every big name player from their division rivals, now they're talking to Strasburg.

His velocity is trending up and he's put up back to back 4war seasons on a bad team.that has value. A lot of teams think he has ace potential a la scherzer post age 30. A pitcher who is velocity trends upwards in age 30 season is seen as an indicator of lots left in the tank. He's worth the risk for a high budget team. Philly will look like retards or geniuses as soon as next off season. If he is worth less than 3 war it's a failure .

Philly needs a legit num 2 starter behind nola  and this could be enough to get them not only in the playoffs but  past the division series.

29 minutes ago, Repo Man said:

They made some interesting moves. You're still in a better position than my jays.

wonder if I'll be followed into this thread as well...

Why should I care about a team that has been swept by the Yankees for over a decade?

I am done. 

54 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

Why should I care about a team that has been swept by the Yankees for over a decade?

I am done. 

Well, I know it sucks, trust me, being in the AL east I deal with the Yankees and sox spend like a billion dollars. I don't know what to say? Your division is always up for grabs, I can see the twins making noise in the next few years. Lots of interesting prospects coming up. Hang in there another five years.

11 hours ago, magisme said:

We'll hear all season about how "done" Nate is with the Twins. :lol:

Are you still done with the Vikes, or are you un-done?

The Vikings are lovable. The Twins are just wankers. 

5 hours ago, sixes said:

Cole to the Yankees

9 yrs, 324 mil

How did MLB owners go from restrained spending the past couple years to completely out of control now?

I guess we can blame Washington for starting it with the Stras contract, which forced the Yankees to increase their offer to Cole by $79 million.

Yanks will very likely win a championship or two over the next few years, which I know is what they desperately wanted after going a decade without one.

But unless he pitches like Pedro for at least 5 of the years, that's going to be a horrible contract longterm.

A pitcher in his mid and upper 30's making $36M per, good luck with that.

He will opt out after the 5th(or 4th?) year after a couple of championships(hopefully).

17 hours ago, bran said:

He will opt out after the 5th(or 4th?) year after a couple of championships(hopefully).

Possible, but not likely. His value right now is as high as can be.  Realistically he can maintain for a brief while, but not get any better than he was this year.

And I just don't see salaries for starting pitchers going up that much over the next few years. Remember, Price's $217M contract was a record for 5 years until Stras smashed it a few days ago.  I think it will be a long time, perhaps a decade, before we see a $40M/yr pitcher.

Players who have got these deals all disappoint. He’ll Price was amazing winning the World Series in 18 but still ain’t worth the money.

also another thought the Yankees manager sucks.

however if the Red Sox don’t re sign Mookie I’m done with baseball.

ps congrats to Rick Porcello a true classy guy who sign autographs for kids. The Mets and their fans got a great guy.