Sign in to follow this  
Skeeter

Baseball - 2019 Official Thread

18 hours ago, The Linguini Occurrence? said:

Holy crap, looks like the Nats are gonna pull it off!!

Joe Kelly.  Not a surprise, brilliant or horrific.  No in-between with him.

"This was a fantastic season by them. Fans of the team should be thrilled."

Sorry, Skeet .... if that was my team, thrilled is not how I would feel right now.

Roberts is toast.

You are right about Joe Kelly. The guy is either lights out good or he can't find the strike zone and completely implodes. He kind of reminds me Kyle Farnsworth in that way, Farnsworth would come in strikeout the side or he would walk the bases loaded.

3 hours ago, bran said:

You are right about Joe Kelly. The guy is either lights out good or he can't find the strike zone and completely implodes. He kind of reminds me Kyle Farnsworth in that way, Farnsworth would come in strikeout the side or he would walk the bases loaded.

Wow, Farnsworth is a blast from the past .... haven't heard his name in ages!

We were really lucky Kelly was "on" last October, as it wasn't even a certainty he'd make the postseason roster because he had been so bad up until then.

Speaking of lucky ... damn, Cole is a beast.  Without facing him or Verlander you should at least split the first couple games in Houston.  I'm not sold on Greinke.

On 10/10/2019 at 10:32 PM, bran said:

Can't wait to see Cole in pinstripes 😋

They'd be smart to go hard for him, he's the real deal.  I'd guess he'll get $225/7 from someone.

I think they'll really have to overwhelm him with an offer though, because he's a California guy who will probably be tempted to sign with the Dodgers or Angels.

In the meantime, since we won't see him Tuesday, we'll have to settle for their wives.

(Edited as Verlander is now starting Sunday)

kate-upton-amy-crawford.jpg

I'm glad I'm an old man who goes to bed early. If you had asked at the beginning of the season what World Series match-up I'd hate most, I would have said Yankees vs. Nats/Phillies.

But congrats on the run so far, bran. I'm glad you're loving it.

1 hour ago, The Linguini Occurrence? said:

Why the Nats-hate?

They've never made it to the World Series, and fuck Harper for chasing a few extra bucks with his team's arch-rival.

I'm a Mets fan. It's a division thing.

I'm not sure why I don't have the same animosity towards the Braves. I hated them in the 90s, but this new crew hasn't bothered me yet.

2 hours ago, magisme said:

I'm a Mets fan. It's a division thing.

I'm not sure why I don't have the same animosity towards the Braves. I hated them in the 90s, but this new crew hasn't bothered me yet.

Yeah I remember, but I thought only the Phillies were your big rivals.

Maybe it was Turner & Fonda that caused you to hate the Braves back then?

14 minutes ago, The Linguini Occurrence? said:

Yeah I remember, but I thought only the Phillies were your big rivals.

Maybe it was Turner & Fonda that caused you to hate the Braves back then?

The Nats kept winning the division while our supposed superstar lineup of pitchers turned into one superstar pitcher. The 90s Braves won every year for 13 years I think it was. I hated them because the Mets had no chance and Chipper was Babe Ruth every time they faced him.

2 hours ago, The Linguini Occurrence? said:

Did anybody on the planet NOT think the game was over as soon as Happ was brought in?

Sabathia wasn't the only one laughing when he was pulled after just one batter.

Boone wasted his bullpen bullets, the loss was on him.

Pretty much, especially when Green was dealing and you pull him after a strikeout.

24 minutes ago, bran said:

Pretty much, especially when Green was dealing and you pull him after a strikeout.

The ridiculous over-reliance on pitching matchups based on sabermetrics is getting to absurd levels.

Can't wait for the 3-batter-minimum rule next year.

And GO NATS!!

How great would it be for Strasburg and former Tigers Sanchez & Scherzer to go up against Cole and former Tiger Verlander.

Yankees had chances against Cole and just didn't get it done, some at bats were awful as well. Congrats to the Nationals, if the Yankees don't make it I want to see Mad Max get a ring.

3 hours ago, Skeeter said:

I’m glad Washington made the World Series AFTER getting rid of Bruce Harper. 

That's the silver lining for me. What a jackass.

4 hours ago, bran said:

Yankees had chances against Cole and just didn't get it done, some at bats were awful as well. Congrats to the Nationals, if the Yankees don't make it I want to see Mad Max get a ring.

I don't think any team truly has chances against Cole.  With runners on base, he turns it up a notch.

I think if you're gonna have concerns, it should be about:

1) Sanchez's catching.  He let two pitches to the same batter get by him, and lucky for him the umpire blocked one of them.

2) Stanton's availability.  As long as he's day-to-day, your team is playing shorthanded.

3) Bullpen management.  Quick hooks because of sabermetric matchups is never a good idea.

I hope the Nats win it all too, but I'm fine with the 'Stros too.  Ironically they share the same spring training facilities, what are the odds?

3 hours ago, bran said:

Image result for cc sabathia

Funny how life works.

His first year with the Yanks, he becomes a World Champion.

Probably thought he'd be playing deep in the playoffs every year.

The next ten years, doesn't even make it to the World Series.

Ironically he'll always be remembered for his half year in Milwaukee, when he was absolutely brilliant.  They got his best.

45 minutes ago, The Linguini Occurrence? said:

Funny how life works.

His first year with the Yanks, he becomes a World Champion.

Probably thought he'd be playing deep in the playoffs every year.

The next ten years, doesn't even make it to the World Series.

Ironically he'll always be remembered for his half year in Milwaukee, when he was absolutely brilliant.  They got his best.

That was one of the greatest runs I have ever seen. Dude was amazing but man he was gassed at the end. Really going to miss him.

12 hours ago, arnold layne said:

Fuck the Yankees

Yeah, that's been my feeling since I was a kid.

But now, I kinda want them to win it all just for the sheer troll factor and watching people get pissed off about them winning again.

Just like I actually started rooting for the Patriots the last few years...sometimes you just gotta sit back and admire the trolls of the sports world.

I can't believe The Expos are finally in the World Series. They got fucking robbed during the strike year. Baseball was almost out for the count until steroids brought it back.