Miser

Favorite NiN record?

What's your favorite Nine Inch Nails record?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite Nine Inch Nails record?

• Pretty Hate Machine
    • Broken (EP)
    • Downward Spiral
    • The Fragile
    • With Teeth
    • Year Zero
    • Ghosts I-IV
    • The Slip
    • Hesitation Marks
    • Bad Witch

28 minutes ago, Facekicker said:

None. 

I don't get the appeal one bit, Robert Finch is a shit guitarist and fans like Broski confirms every suspicion I have that they are a bunch of wankers 

Listen to Pretty Hate Machine IMO one of the best records of the 80s.

1 hour ago, Facekicker said:

None. 

I don't get the appeal one bit, Robert Finch is a shit guitarist and fans like Broski confirms every suspicion I have that they are a bunch of wankers 

Shit as they are, they still aren’t shit enough to have shit Robin Finck actually record on anything. Because that’d be c diff shit.

Never got into their music. Then I saw them live with Soundgarden. It was a fucking amazing show.

The Spiral.

It came out just as I was experiencing true heartbreak for the first time at 16 when my first ever gf dumped me after almost year together.

I just couldn't put that anguish into words....and then Trent wrote an entire album.  Just for me.  Fuck all y'all....he wrote it for ME.  For MY pain.   This was my bible.  I listened to it over and over and over.  Trent was my messiah.

Somewhere in Italy there's a painting of me reaching my index finger out to Trent in the heavens and he's streching his out to meet mine.

25 years later, the lyrics can be a but of a cringe, but production wise it holds up better than the 80s synth of Pretty Hate Machine.   I don't listen to it often, but every now and then I like a little trip down nostalgia lane, to relive that angst.

The song "Reptile" still fucking rips dude....mean and nasty sound and it really sums up the feelings of what cunts bitches can be.  I was so glad that when I finally saw them in concert all those years later, they played it and it ripped the roof off the joint.

11 minutes ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

25 years later, the lyrics can be a but of a cringe, but production wise it holds up better than the 80s synth of Pretty Hate Machine.   I don't listen to it often, but every now and then I like a little trip down nostalgia lane, to relive that angst.

I hate when people say production desnt hold up. Yeah, it can date it, but good music is good music, and I'd rather dated production be left to remind us how amazing something was in it's time, than get Shout at the Devil 97. Seriously, watch the video. It's disgusting. They oiled their hair down and made a grungy fucking mess to try and stay modern.

Just saying man, the songs are PHM are still tight, but it's hard to get through all that new wave 80s synth on the original recording.   Trent's said so many times himself....when he plays the old stuff live now he updates the sounds.

Remember Axl's infamous 99 quote about trying to update AFD without the reverb and double bass and stuff?  I don't mind a little tweaking to sound more current, as long as it's still the same song.

I think I actually like Broken and Fixed eps to DS.

Gave Up, Wish and that remix of Happiness in Slavery. Last crushes. Then there was that cover of Physical. 

“This isn’t meant to last”

Edited by wasted

1 hour ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

The Spiral.

It came out just as I was experiencing true heartbreak for the first time at 16 when my first ever gf dumped me after almost year together.

I just couldn't put that anguish into words....and then Trent wrote an entire album.  Just for me.  Fuck all y'all....he wrote it for ME.  For MY pain.   This was my bible.  I listened to it over and over and over.  Trent was my messiah.

Somewhere in Italy there's a painting of me reaching my index finger out to Trent in the heavens and he's streching his out to meet mine.

The song "Reptile" still fucking rips dude....mean and nasty sound and it really sums up the feelings of what cunts bitches can be.  I was so glad that when I finally saw them in concert all those years later, they played it and it ripped the roof off the joint.

I'm sorry that you had to go through that first of all, and I do appreciate the nature of your subjective enjoyment of the album. For me, when I was 16, and experiencing my own first heartbreak, the week my first girlfriend dumped me back in February 2006 was actually the week that TWAT leaked for the very first time and that song hit home so badly. So I get what you're saying with Spiral in that regard.

I'm only really recently getting into NiN but I would say that the synths on Pretty Hate Machine have held up. I know you don't listen, by your own admission to a lot of modern music but a lot of pop has a lot of the same synth tones that were popular in the 80s and early 90s (there's actually in pop a huge influence of late 80s sounds in general). I was listening to Sin from PHM earlier and was amazed at how current it actually sounds.

1 hour ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

Just saying man, the songs are PHM are still tight, but it's hard to get through all that new wave 80s synth on the original recording.   Trent's said so many times himself....when he plays the old stuff live now he updates the sounds.

Remember Axl's infamous 99 quote about trying to update AFD without the reverb and double bass and stuff?  I don't mind a little tweaking to sound more current, as long as it's still the same song.

Gotta disagree with you there - I think the 'warts' of a song's period really give it a certain charm that places it within its time period and make it unique; I actually agree with AxlisOld for once. Since you referenced Guns, take Rocket Queen. The whole intro of the song is, from a production standpoint, very dated (the reverb on the drums, the phased effect on the guitars) yet take that away and you lose something magical.

Used to be a casual fan. Can's stand them now. Trent is overrated as fuck. It's fucking pathetic how he tries to cater to edgy teenagers. To answer the question.

1. The Downward Spiral

2. The Fragile

3. Broken EP

4. Pretty Hate Machine

Everything else is garbage. Especially those 3 EPs he has recently shat out. Bad Witch, really :lol: ?

2 hours ago, EstrangedTWAT said:

But the production of these iconic records let you know what was going on at the time. You think any band anywhere anytime other than the Beatles could plug a fuzz box straight into the mixer like they did on Revolution? Fuck no. The same way that some of the iconic 80s metal is gonna have reverb up the balls on their drums. If everything we're mixed the same, it'd be monotonous, and there's be no separation between eras.

There's definitely good later material NIN but I have to confess I've never listened to most of them straight through.  I liked about half of "Hesitation Marks."   Also, the song that was used in Twin Peaks: The Return was pretty dope.

By far the best later era NIN song I heard for the first time when I saw them live in 2014.   I didn't know it but it was mesmerizing.   It's called "Beside You In Time" from With Teeth.